• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lee, Clark..who should be our third fast bowler?

Who will fill in the boots of Pigeon

• Hilfenhaus

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Bracken

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Tait

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Other - name

Votes: 8 22.9%

• Total voters

Laurrz

International Debutant
There are quite a few options

I like Hilfy.. but is it too early to put him in with guys like Bracken? Tait?

I dont think Johnson is ready yet at all.. but he'll be for the future

Which would provide the best balance? Bracken would be good with his left arm swing, and especially for the first test of the summer which is against Lanka at the Gabba (has a good record against lanka..albeit in ODI's.. and has swung it heaps in the past at the gabba)

Hilfy would give us a genuine right arm swinger.. which is great, i love the workhorse type of bowler, similar to Hoggard or Kasprowicz

Tait and Lee in the same side? with Lee coming from injury? i dont think so..

thoughts?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Johnson for mine. He struggles with the white ball at times as we've seen, but his first class record over the last few years has been good and he is much better in the first class bowling state of mind with the first class fields. I don't know why he isn't on the poll either - you even mentioned him in your post!

Laurrz

International Debutant
yea i'll go edit, i jsut didnt think he'd be a realistic option..guess i was wrong

Edit: ok i cant edit polls i just learnt :laugh:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Tait, him & Lee in the same size is an irresistable idea. International batsmen have problems.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't want to see Nathan Bracken in the Australian Test team as he just isn't good enough. He has done a fine job for the ODI outfit for a couple of years now, but as a Test bowler he will not be effective unless conditions suit for the whole time he is bowling which is unlikely. Shaun Tait has been tearing it up for South Australia and wouldn't be a bad bet, but with Brett Lee coming back from injury I wouldn't pick him in my Test side as he could prove to be a liability with his inconsistency. Couple that with Lee not being 100% and you have a recipe for disaster.

I don't really think Hilfenhaus is in the picture at the moment. He is young and has plenty of ability as he demonstrated last year with Tasmania (leading wicket taker IIRC) and will need to continue plying his trade for his state, perhaps pick up a county contract next year and just keep bowling. Mitchell Johnson would be my pick, he has struggled with the white ball in ODI cricket as Prince EWS mentioned but he has the tools to be a very good Test bowler. The fact he is a left armer adds a lot of variety to the bowling attack and I would pick him if I was selecting the side.

pasag

RTDAS
Tait will get the job, whether he deserves to be there or not is another thing. I'd personally like to see Johnson or Hilfenhaus lining up against SL and India, tbh. Quite excited about those two.

Johnners

Mitchell Johnson. He's a left-armer, so he adds a little variety, and imo after Stuart Clark, he's been the form bowler in the Pura-Cup. That said, i'd say Tait will more than likely get the job based on his performances in the World Cup, which imo, is the wrong decision. I've always said it, and will continue to say it, having Brett Lee & Shaun Tait in the same team, test or ODI, just won't work unless you have 2 great bowlers such as Warne & McGrath to back them up. We don't have Warne & McGrath anymore, and with Lee known to take some stick, as is Macgill (who i'd imagine will be the spinner), playing Tait would only make the bowling lineup look more fragile when up against a good batting side.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Probably Tait will get first shot... but I'm sure it'll depend how all the contenders start off the season. Tait, Lee, Clark, MacGill has three bowlers who can be quite expensive so I'm not sure...

Perm

Probably Tait will get first shot... but I'm sure it'll depend how all the contenders start off the season. Tait, Lee, Clark, MacGill has three bowlers who can be quite expensive so I'm not sure...
If Clark's ODI record is anything to go by then he could go for a few if put under pressure.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Mitchell Johnson. He's a left-armer, so he adds a little variety, and imo after Stuart Clark, he's been the form bowler in the Pura-Cup. That said, i'd say Tait will more than likely get the job based on his performances in the World Cup, which imo, is the wrong decision. I've always said it, and will continue to say it, having Brett Lee & Shaun Tait in the same team, test or ODI, just won't work unless you have 2 great bowlers such as Warne & McGrath to back them up. We don't have Warne & McGrath anymore, and with Lee known to take some stick, as is Macgill (who i'd imagine will be the spinner), playing Tait would only make the bowling lineup look more fragile when up against a good batting side.

Lee, Tait AND Johnson are all bowlers who can be destructive yet expensive and Tait has slightly more expensive statistics than Johnson.
The last time I saw them bowl, they were hardly economical and, unless they undergo a fair bit of coaching, I don't think they'll get even remotely near the E/R rate of McGrath or Clark, or even Jason Gillespie.
Hilfenhaus is more economical than Tait, Johnson and Lee and could be a good bridge between Lee and Clark.

Magoffin and Rofe (especially Rofe) are names worth considering too, IMO.

Flem274*

123/5
If they played Tait, Lee and Johnson in the same team then international batsmen would be grinning from ear to ear. Tait will need more than just speed in international cricket and Johnson seems a bit inaccurate. The question for Hilfenhaus though is is he ready? I wouldn't bring him in too early or he could be ruined if he gets hit.

Perm

Lee, Tait AND Johnson are all bowlers who can be destructive yet expensive and Tait has slightly more expensive statistics than Johnson.
The last time I saw them bowl, they were hardly economical and, unless they undergo a fair bit of coaching, I don't think they'll get even remotely near the E/R rate of McGrath or Clark, or even Jason Gillespie.
Hilfenhaus is more economical than Tait, Johnson and Lee and could be a good bridge between Lee and Clark.

Magoffin and Rofe (especially Rofe) are names worth considering too, IMO.
No doubt denying that Hilfenhaus is more accurate than Johnson, but does he have the variety that the left armer could bring to the attack?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If they played Tait, Lee and Johnson in the same team then international batsmen would be grinning from ear to ear. Tait will need more than just speed in international cricket and Johnson seems a bit inaccurate. The question for Hilfenhaus though is is he ready? I wouldn't bring him in too early or he could be ruined if he gets hit.
Why on earth would they do that though? Wouldn't happen unless Clark was injured.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
No doubt denying that Hilfenhaus is more accurate than Johnson, but does he have the variety that the left armer could bring to the attack?
I think the variety a left armer brings is a bit over-rated. Variety in a bowling attack is primarily useful because it gives you options in different conditions - and I don't see the conditions or the match situation ever being such that would make the captain think "Geez I wish I had a left armer." I voted for Johnson, for simply because I believe he's a better bowl at this stage than Tait and Hilfenhaus - the fact that he bowls left handed really didn't come into for me. Obviously changing the angle of attack can be slightly beneficial, but nothing that would actually make me choose a lesser bowler. Hilfenhaus would add as much variety - if not more - by being a genuine swing bowler than Johnson. I just think Johnson has more to offer in different situations.