• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lee, Clark..who should be our third fast bowler?

Who will fill in the boots of Pigeon

• Hilfenhaus

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Bracken

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Tait

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Other - name

Votes: 8 22.9%

• Total voters

iamdavid

International Debutant
I think Tait would be the favourite atm after his world cup performances and the fact he's young/fast and the media and public will jump right behind him.
But I think it depends a little on the rest of the team aswell...who they pick as the spinner and whether any of the batsman offer bowling options, the selectors will be hesitant to pick Lee and Tait together if its only a 4-man attack. Tait is prone to be rubbish now and then and lets face is Lee's test record isnt great, he's done the job well enough for the last year or so but he has never set the test world on fire (bar his first 7 matches) and he is also prone to inconsistency with the red ball. Add to that the fact the fourth bowler and spinner is likely to be either MacGill (who is good but has always been inaccurate by international standards) or Hogg (who is yet to make any sort of impact at test level and dosent even have a wonderful FC record) and the only sure fire performer in that 4 man attack would be Stuart Clark.
If Watson or Symonds are picked as the 6th batsman (which looks almost certain at this point in time) then the selectos would be much more likely to pair Lee and Tait together, even though Watson or Symonds are only ever likely to be good for 10 overs a day of backup.

I like the look of Hilfenhaus he seems to be able to find significant movement away from the right handers regardless of the condition of the ball or state of the pitch, even latter in the innings he still dips the ball away. Which gives him a very solid base to work from, not many FC bowlers can do that, add to this he bowls 135+ and seems to control things well, I think he has a bright future.
Johnson will get a look in at some stage aswell, good pace, more accurate than Tait and he's capable of hitting the seam and bowling the unplayable delivery.
Bracken wont play another test for Australia, great one day bowler but too one-dimensional and pedestrian at test level and I think selectors have recognised this.
Whether Gillespie plays for Australia again depends on how well the chosen ones perform in the first series next summer, if they take to the task well I think its fair to say we've seen the last of him. However if they struggle and Tait/Lee's pace fails to make inroads it wouldnt suprise me if he was back within 2 tests.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Rofe is just a less accurate Clark really. Don't rate him, however I didn't rate Clark either and he seems to be turning out rather good, so perhaps he's better than I think. Adam Griffith is in the same boat - very similar bowler.
Clark has always looked a class above Rofe to be fair, theres an average of about 10kph pace difference and as you say his control is better.

Rofe is a 200cm tall medium pacer who gets the odd bag at domestic level but he's not upto international cricket (remember Brett Dorey lol)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think Tait would be the favourite atm after his world cup performances and the fact he's young/fast and the media and public will jump right behind him.
But I think it depends a little on the rest of the team aswell...who they pick as the spinner and whether any of the batsman offer bowling options, the selectors will be hesitant to pick Lee and Tait together if its only a 4-man attack. Tait is prone to be rubbish now and then and lets face is Lee's test record isnt great, he's done the job well enough for the last year or so but he has never set the test world on fire (bar his first 7 matches) and he is also prone to inconsistency with the red ball. Add to that the fact the fourth bowler and spinner is likely to be either MacGill (who is good but has always been inaccurate by international standards) or Hogg (who is yet to make any sort of impact at test level and dosent even have a wonderful FC record) and the only sure fire performer in that 4 man attack would be Stuart Clark.
If Watson or Symonds are picked as the 6th batsman (which looks almost certain at this point in time) then the selectos would be much more likely to pair Lee and Tait together, even though Watson or Symonds are only ever likely to be good for 10 overs a day of backup.

I like the look of Hilfenhaus he seems to be able to find significant movement away from the right handers regardless of the condition of the ball or state of the pitch, even latter in the innings he still dips the ball away. Which gives him a very solid base to work from, not many FC bowlers can do that, add to this he bowls 135+ and seems to control things well, I think he has a bright future.
Johnson will get a look in at some stage aswell, good pace, more accurate than Tait and he's capable of hitting the seam and bowling the unplayable delivery.
Bracken wont play another test for Australia, great one day bowler but too one-dimensional and pedestrian at test level and I think selectors have recognised this.
Whether Gillespie plays for Australia again depends on how well the chosen ones perform in the first series next summer, if they take to the task well I think its fair to say we've seen the last of him. However if they struggle and Tait/Lee's pace fails to make inroads it wouldnt suprise me if he was back within 2 tests.
Afridi IMO.

Hope a) Akhil hasn't already made his pick and b) you're around to enjoy it. :p

Laurrz

International Debutant

good post

Matt79

Global Moderator
As has been said a few times, I think Johnson will get to carry the drinks for at least two more Tests, while Tait gets a go.

And I think that is probably as it should be. As has been pointed out, both Clark and Lee are not spring chickens, so its not like Johnson and Hilfy won't get a go, but Tait is probably a player who will benefit from debuting in a more settled, experienced bowling line up.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
What happened to Michael/Matthew Inness? I could've sworn that four years ago everyone was telling us how he was going to be the next big thing...
I think he lost a yard. He still bowls really well, but doesn't have the extra yard of pace to worry first class players. Went over to WA, and still takes grade wickets for fun, but FC players don't seem too troubled by him at all.

Doesn't change the fact that he should have played Test cricket when Bracken made his debut.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
I've said this before but Tait and Lee in the same team together is not a recipe for success on a continuous basis.
There's just too much risk with those two in a 4 man attack.
Even in a 5 man attack I'd be loathe to go with Clark, Lee, tait, MCGill, Watson/Symonds.

The selectors may plump for Johnson though, he can swing the ball, is more accurate than Tait and offers left-arm variety.
HilfenHaus may have to bide time until one of the others is dropped/injured.

Bracken IMO is not test material. If the ball's not swinging considerably, I can't see how his 75mph cutters are going to trouble good test batsmen.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Gillespie.....I still think he is in the selectorial picture but a lot of his hopes hinge on how the young 'uns fare.