• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Graeme Hick's career a sucess or a failure?

Fiery

Banned
Hick was and has always been pure class as a batsman in my eyes. There was a time in the 80's when he was up there with Martin Crowe as one of the best batsmen in the world (or maybe best white batsmen, (at the risk of being accused of being the R word)). I watched him play a few innings for ND and I have never seen anyone time or strike the ball better than him before that or after in fact)...pure quality, in the Barry Richards class for mine

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not as high as Tests ;)
Well... they're totally different games, aren't they? ODIs are the pinnacle of their format, Tests are the pinnacle of theirs.

ODIs are the highest level of limited-overs cricket, Tests are the highest of two-innings cricket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hick was and has always been pure class as a batsman in my eyes. There was a time in the 80's when he was up there with Martin Crowe as one of the best batsmen in the world (or maybe best white batsmen, (at the risk of being accused of being the R word)). I watched him play a few innings for ND and I have never seen anyone time or strike the ball better than him before that or after in fact)...pure quality, in the Barry Richards class for mine
Not really sure how he could be said to have been unequivocally one of the best in The World when he was playing District and County games alone.

Fiery

Banned
Not really sure how he could be said to have been unequivocally one of the best in The World when he was playing District and County games alone.
Just going by who I had seen and who were around at the time. It's just a personal opinion not supposed to come across as "fact"

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm just wondering why you formed an opinion on the basis of domestic cricket, as it's not usually a done thing.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But were the bowlers he was batting so superbly against really worth being taken that seriously?

Fiery

Banned
But were the bowlers he was batting so superbly against really worth being taken that seriously?
You can tell the class of a batsman against any type of bowling. His technique and timing were/are superb. (Maybe playing the short ball well was his achilles heel though). Would you be arguing this with me if he was actually English?

PhoenixFire

International Coach
You can only bat against what you're facing...:sleep:
I'd liken that to different types of GCSE Papers.

You can get Foundation level papers, to where you can only get a C or below, or a Higher Tier paper where you can get an A* - C I think. Obviously you are more likely to have trouble with the Higher Tier Paper.

Hick could only get a certain amount of plaudits if he played against such average county bowlers.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd liken that to different types of GCSE Papers.

You can get Foundation level papers, to where you can only get a C or below, or a Higher Tier paper where you can get an A* - C I think. Obviously you are more likely to have trouble with the Higher Tier Paper.
Do you have to bring Maths into this?. :@

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Mate don't bother...Swervy must have learnt his lesson by now. That Hayden/Hussain between them both was just brilliant. Richard must have literally repeated himself about 20 times.

Fiery

Banned
Mate don't bother...Swervy must have learnt his lesson by now. That Hayden/Hussain between them both was just brilliant. Richard must have literally repeated himself about 20 times.
That was victory to Swervy imo...so it can be done