• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lara plans return to cricket

JBMAC

State Captain
Rumour has it that he will be playing in the Australian Domestic Competition...do not know which State.

andmark

International Captain
I think he will play English County Cricket. Many of great players have played English County.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
It just proves that the UK press got it right (for once!) he wanted to be on this curent tour but suspected he wouldn't be picked so he retired to save the selectors the bother of dropping him. As for who he plays for I reckon it needs to be a county with an overseas player vacancy (would Lancs have gone for him instead of Sanath had they known?) as Aussie states don't employ many overseas players and the last big name i remember playing in the Pura Cup (Andy Flower) did not do well....

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
He said that he picked himself along with the selctors so I don't see how that argument holds.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Be interesting if Lara and Warne both ended their careers in English cricket... :blink:

If WI's selectors were ever considering not picking him for this tour had he been available they'd clearly have lost their minds.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
All of them past WI players too. Greenidge being the chief and I think another high profile former player and a lesser known one.

brockley

International Captain
He says he wants back in 6 months the next county season is 9/10 months away.
Have heard australia and the zee 20/20 trophy possibilities.
If he plays in australia i would say NSW would be a distinct possibility.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If he does play in Australia I sincerely hope what happened in Andy Flower's case doesn't happen again. They're both magnificent batsmen who deserve better than to be off the boil for a couple of seasons in a foreign land.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good on him, cricket is obviously one thing that keeps him going in life.

Piper

International Captain
I'm glad he's coming back just wish he would have some part in the national side coz they need him.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
One of the structural changes occurring in Pakistan currently is the allowance of overseas players and there is talk that the PCB will target big name players. Current talk is cricketers from India and Sri Lanka will be approached but Lara would be an idyllic signing for not only his he a great who will generate a response but he would give any up and coming spinner some serious learning tap or as in the case of Danish Kaneria, nightmares.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Rumour has it that he will be playing in the Australian Domestic Competition...do not know which State.
I really hope so. I've missed seeing him live several times for different reasons. I'd like one last chance.

1-9-7-7

International Regular
I'd love to see him playing in the English league.
Give me more reason to watch it:)

Great player.