• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mohd Yousuf vs Rahul Dravid In ODI's

Who is better in ODI's?

• Total voters

gunner

U19 Cricketer
Who is the better player in ODI's?
You can base it on your own views or you can look at the stats, your choice

Here are the stats of the 2

For me it has to be Yousuf
As always some will say whoever has the better stats against the best countries and in this case Yousuf still betters Dravid

Last edited:

deeps

International 12th Man
as above ^^^

although if Yousuf can emulate his 06 form in 07, that would change :p

adharcric

International Coach
Not really. Yousuf would have to repeat that form for 2-3 years at the very least for me to rate him over Dravid.

pasag

RTDAS
Dravid for me but both class and quite underrated (in the way that they seem to have been pidgeholed by some as only good in Tests).

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Mmm tough one. I'd probably have to go with Dravid for ODIs, but it's not by much. That is based purely on the fact that I've seen so much of him in ODIs, and so little of Yousuf.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Dravid seems to come up with a vital innings when the team needs him most, and is imo more adaptable in ODIs than Yousuf - he's turned himself into a quality finisher while still being able to hold the team together from the top of the order when he needs to. I haven't seen Yousuf do that as consistently.

deeps

International 12th Man
Not really. Yousuf would have to repeat that form for 2-3 years at the very least for me to rate him over Dravid.
Averaging somewhere like 90? I think 2 seasons of 90's, and the remaining at 50+ beats Dravid at 50ish all the time.

Although yes, he's more reliable etc.

gunner

U19 Cricketer
this thread is purely for odi's
no mention of test matches,

i am pretty sure some of the votes were based on test matches

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Not sure what this whole test match this with Yousuf is about. I reckon go back 3 years and people would primarily rated him as a superior ODI player than test, so its not like Yousuf for a long time has been underrated in the ODI format.

Anyway I'd probably take Dravid in both forms, but they're almost dead even in ODI cricket to be honest. But I think Dasa nailed it on the head, and its quite ironic in itself. Dravid, so often pidgeonholed as not being able to come in and smash late in the innings, is actually the player in this comparison who is more inclined to being able to launch from ball 1 than Yousuf.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Dravid was a poor ODI player for first few years of his career and he was dropped from the ODI team in 1997/98. He has been a different ODI player since his comback and he is India's top ODI batsman along with Tendulkar.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Yousuf is the more aesthetically pleasing batsman to watch, no doubt in my mind over that. He can attack, and then knuckle down and defend, and has probably the best concentration and application of any batsman I have seen.

Bouncer

State Regular
Who is the better player in ODI's?
You can base it on your own views or you can look at the stats, your choice

Here are the stats of the 2
For me it has to be Yousuf
As always some will say whoever has the better stats against the best countries and in this case Yousuf still betters Dravid
It is an Interesting topic to compara Yousaf and Rahul as ODI batsman. Just looking at numberboth players have almost identical average however yousaf has played 70 less games but still has managed to score same number of 100's as rahul.
One important factor to consider is how two players have performed against tough team and under immense pressure and how have their performace helped their teams win in those situations.

Looking at both players record against AUS Rahul even afer playing 12 more games than yousaf has managed to accumulate 33 more runs than yousaf but with an average 27 compared to 40 of yousaf.

If you look at the results of the games involving Rahul and Yousuf against AUS, India has won 8 games ouuta 36 games(with Rahul playing). On the other hand Pak won 6 games
ouuta 24 games (with Yousuf playing) wich is marginally better than what India has done with Rahul playing.

Not only Yousaf has done better against AUS and will probably out run Rahul with # of runs and a much much better average but also team performed better too.

Second thing to look at how both players peformed under the pressure situations of an Pak-India games. Rahul has scored 1800+ runs with 57 games with average of 35 and yousaf has scored 998 runs but has played 34 games (23 games less than rahul) and averages 33( 2runs less than Rahul)

If you look at the result of Indo-Pak games involving yousaf and Rahul, India has won 40% of games and lost 60% of games. Pak has won 61.7% of games (which is prett consistent with PAk's overall record against India). It is not hard to conclude that which one of the two is better for team in these though games.

I hope these facts help someone reach a better decision to decide which one of the two is a better ODI batsman. 8-)8-)8-)8-)8-)8-)

Any disagreement is more than welcome only if you can prove your point and convince me and others.:)

Bouncer

State Regular
Yousuf is the more aesthetically pleasing batsman to watch, no doubt in my mind over that. He can attack, and then knuckle down and defend, and has probably the best concentration and application of any batsman I have seen.

that isan excellent point that you have made. I completely agree as Yousuf is more of multi dimensional player than Rahul with his ability to play big strokes and also to build an inning with nudges etc.

gunner

U19 Cricketer
It is an Interesting topic to compara Yousaf and Rahul as ODI batsman. Just looking at numberboth players have almost identical average however yousaf has played 70 less games but still has managed to score same number of 100's as rahul.
One important factor to consider is how two players have performed against tough team and under immense pressure and how have their performace helped their teams win in those situations.

Looking at both players record against AUS Rahul even afer playing 12 more games than yousaf has managed to accumulate 33 more runs than yousaf but with an average 27 compared to 40 of yousaf.

If you look at the results of the games involving Rahul and Yousuf against AUS, India has won 8 games ouuta 36 games(with Rahul playing). On the other hand Pak won 6 games
ouuta 24 games (with Yousuf playing) wich is marginally better than what India has done with Rahul playing.

Not only Yousaf has done better against AUS and will probably out run Rahul with # of runs and a much much better average but also team performed better too.

Second thing to look at how both players peformed under the pressure situations of an Pak-India games. Rahul has scored 1800+ runs with 57 games with average of 35 and yousaf has scored 998 runs but has played 34 games (23 games less than rahul) and averages 33( 2runs less than Rahul)

If you look at the result of Indo-Pak games involving yousaf and Rahul, India has won 40% of games and lost 60% of games. Pak has won 61.7% of games (which is prett consistent with PAk's overall record against India). It is not hard to conclude that which one of the two is better for team in these though games.

I hope these facts help someone reach a better decision to decide which one of the two is a better ODI batsman. 8-)8-)8-)8-)8-)8-)

Any disagreement is more than welcome only if you can prove your point and convince me and others.:)
now this has got to be the post of the week

while we're on pressure situations remember yousuf single handedly took pakistan home vs india in the icc trophy 2004 with 81*

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member

If Disagreements are more than welcome then why put so many 'Roll Eyes' ? As for your facts - They have not been able to convince me that Yusuf is a better ODI player than Dravid., Granted Yusuf has better avg. against Aus, but Dravid has better avg. against SA another top ODI team of last 10-15 years .Yusuf didn't get to play against Pakistan, one of the great ODI teams (or atleast at team with great bowling attack, I am sure we can agree on that)

Secondly Yusuf's avg. against Australia in Australia isn't better than Dravid's, Yusuf has played 14 matches scored 365 @ an avg. 28.07 with 3 50+ scores, Dravid has played 13, scored 383 @ an avg. of 29.46 with 4 50s.

Dravid in Aus vs. Aus - 29.46, Yousuf in Aus Vs. Aus - 28.07

Dravid in SA vs. SA - 51.20, Yousuf in SA Vs. SA - 38.9

Dravid in WI Vs. WI - 32.7, Yousuf in WI Vs. WI - 22.8

Dravid in SL Vs. SL - 38.11, Yousuf in SL Vs. SL - 19.77

Dravid in Pak Vs. Pak - 50.30, Yousuf in India Vs. Ind - 26.00

Dravid in NZ vs. NZ - 38.62, Yousuf in NZ Vs. NZ - 36.62

Dravid in Eng Vs. Eng - 50.16, Yousuf in Eng Vs. Eng - 44.25

Yousuf has obviously outformed Dravid against Zim and Bang by a huge margin.