• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Twenty20 v ODI

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I have watched loads of ODI cricket and have major problems with it. It is monotonous, formulaic and basically gets boring after you have watched it forever. Except important matches, you aren't usually interested to watch it except in exceptional circumstances or when you have a general mood to watch the cricket and test cricket isn't on.

Twenty20 on the other hand, you have had a hard day's work, you go home, can get the satisfaction of watching a cricket match in it's entirety. It is like a movie versus the book which is test cricket. Nothing beats a good book but when you don't have the time, a movie can do.

Twenty20 is also not being deceptive. While one day cricket is neither here nor there, Twenty20 is unapologetic about being a short hit fest. You go to either your wife (test cricket) or the prostitute (Twenty20). Why go down the middle path. (No offence to Buddhists) One day cricket is neither here nor there.

A common misonception is that Twenty20 is just wham-bam-thankyou-mam type of cricket. In truth, you have to safeguard your wicket for a few overs. If you go to hit right from the outset, there is a danger of losing 2-4 quick wickets in the first few overs and being on the back foot sooner than you realise. Even in twenty overs, there are periods and you need to structure your innings. Every thing just happens faster but that doesn't mean that it is just slog-slog-slog.

So I prefer watching Twenty20 to one day cricket basically. Will be interested to know your views on it.

Last edited:

cricman

International 12th Man
This is really tough... I mean Tandori Chicken or ODI's? hmm Look an occosianal 20/20 is great even a annual short 2 week event like the one in South Africa is great for the game maybe even 20/20 in olympics but I don't want to a 5 Match 20/20 series were bowlers get butchered and with the No Ball rule it takes the aggression away from the pacers.

It's a really nice argument you made but I think there are going to be more non-competive 20/20's look at the Africa vs Asia match where Asia took all the risk outta of the game at the end .

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
No offence Pratyush, but this topic has been debated pretty extensively in these forums. Why not contribute to an existing thread?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Ive detailed the reasons why I like twenty20 so much as well as being a 'purist' many times before so I will not go through them all again.

As far as Im concerned ODIs are pointless now and sit in the middle of 2 superior formats and they are just an awkward comprimise.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
No offence taken obviously. Didn't find a thread with such direct debate - which format is better and why. Add to that a poll and I can get direct views of people on which format they prefer with reasons. There may be similar threads and I could be wrong but I was curious regarding this and thought a thread would be best for the same. Don't think we should go into a debate on whether a new thread is necessary as it would kill the current thread from having any chance of having meaningful discussion/inputs.

Last edited:

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Fair enough, just thought that pretty much everyone had drawn their line in the sand over this one.

atisha_ro

U19 12th Man
I repeat myself - Twenty20 would be awesome if the number of wickets is limited to a maximum of six. Simply - best bowlers vs. best batsmen in the teams.
as it is, there is almost no possibility of a team to be bowled out, at high levels.
and if you started with the woman comparison, i'd add mine: ODI - softcore, Twenty20 - hardcore, Test - tantric :)
so either make it long and meaningful (Test) or short and electric (Twenty20) instead of compromising with lazy takes (ODIs).

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Tandoori Chicken, since I don't really like either form, but if I had to choose then I'd go with Twenty20.

pasag

RTDAS
ODIs> Tandoori chicken > Twenty20s.

I enjoy ODIs, don't enjoy Twenty20s so it's pretty simple really. The main reason, as I've said before, the thing I enjoy most about cricket above anything else is the length, that it's played out over a 'whole' day, shortening that would take away the main reason I got into cricket in the first place.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Both ODI and Twenty20 cricket have their pros and cons, but I like ODI's more.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Twenty20 is also not being deceptive. While one day cricket is neither here nor there, Twenty20 is unapologetic about being a short hit fest. You go to either your wife (test cricket) or the prostitute (Twenty20). Why go down the middle path. (No offence to Buddhists) One day cricket is neither here nor there.

mustard :lol: