Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cricket....er...what?

U19 12th Man

Cricket....er...what?

As a new fan of cricket in a country who doesn't give a damn on it, i find it funny to try to "spread the gospel". Cricket is a very simple game once you get the knack, but seems to be very hard to explain, and people more often take it to pieces, like "boring", "silly", "stupid" etc.
    I guess some of you here did get some chilly reactions from people who looked strange at you because of your passion or involvement in cricket.
    Please share. Some of these moments can be fun.
    And even in cricketing countries some may take a mocking attitude to the game, so noone's spared...

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    When I tell people I collect cricket books, they say things like 'well it shouldn't take you long to collect them all, there must only be about 100'

When I say I have a 1000 and know people with over 6000 they can't fathom it
    You know it makes sense.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Funny the perceptions people have on cricket.

Fred Trueman told the story of how someone he met from the States said it was "That gentlemen's game". Trueman apparently said "Depends on your definition of a gentleman I suppose. I always thought a gentleman was someone who got out of the bath to take a p*ss".

A lot of sports suffer from perceptions of those who don't know/ follow them. I for one can't abide basketball, it strikes me as ridiculous that you have to be (barring a few exceptions who prove the rule) 6 and a half feet tall to play it, and that teams don't often try to get the ball until the other team is 3/4 of the way towards scoring points against them. Now I know there's more to the game than that, but it's the perception I have as a 5 foot nine inch tall outsider.

Often people can't believe a game of cricket can take 5 days only to end in a draw. That's one I hear quite a bit, and from an outsider's perspective I can understand that because those people don't understand how the game can fluctuate between the two sides, or how a game can be drawn yet be very exciting at the same time (eg: third Ashes test 2005, Adelaide 1960-61, etc.)
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

U19 12th Man
    well, tbh, even life ends in a draw most of the times, few manage to get out of it winners

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atisha_ro View Post
    well, tbh, even life ends in a draw most of the times, few manage to get out of it winners
    Good post.
    Everyone wants to change the world, noone wants to change himself.

-Tolstoy

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    I once did an after dinner speech at an NZICA formal dinner and half way through, I put down my prompt cards started dancing and singing "Dreadlock Holiday". I think only then did they appreciate my love for the game.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Adelaide 1960-61, etc.)
    That wasn't actually a "draw" was it?
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

Breakout Champion!
    I guess some of you here did get some chilly reactions from people who looked strange at you because of your passion or involvement in cricket..
    Never. More people are ignorant of Rugby League than cricket, in my experience. Met a southern **** once who hadn't even heard of the sport. And this was when it was the second most attended domestic spectator sport in England, and had been for about 50 years (union overtook it in about 2002)

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I once did an after dinner speech at an NZICA formal dinner and half way through, I put down my prompt cards started dancing and singing "Dreadlock Holiday". I think only then did they appreciate my love for the game.
    Haha, I can actually imagine you doing that as well
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

U19 12th Man
    how do people behave when you're absorbed in watching (or following via web) a looong Test match?

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    A lot of sports suffer from perceptions of those who don't know/ follow them. I for one can't abide basketball, it strikes me as ridiculous that you have to be (barring a few exceptions who prove the rule) 6 and a half feet tall to play it, and that teams don't often try to get the ball until the other team is 3/4 of the way towards scoring points against them. Now I know there's more to the game than that, but it's the perception I have as a 5 foot nine inch tall outsider.
    Tyrone Bogues was just 5 feet 3 inches and still played in the NBA. Exception indeed but you don't need to be the tall to enjoy a game of basketball. Playing at the highest level and enjoying the game are two different affairs. I will give another example.. in football you have 11 players and so the role is divided. In basketball, there are just 5 players. So you have to contribute more in each play. Plus, there are so many baskets while you have just a few goals in football. Not trying to say football is crap because I love it too and it has it's own strengths, just saying a few reasons why basketball is a great game.

how do people behave when you're absorbed in watching (or following via web) a looong Test match?
    My friends find my late-night Ashes watching weird. They can't seem to understand why I'd want to go to bed at eight pm to watch three hours of cricket.

They're weird.
    Or something.

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990 - 15/4/2006

One of my brothers, who doesn't like cricket at all, cannot fathom why I would watch ball after ball of the same thing - bowler bowling, batsman facing, bowler bowling, batsman facing. He is oblivious to the fact that cricket is one of the games with the maximum variation in it.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratyush View Post
    Tyrone Bogues was just 5 feet 3 inches and still played in the NBA. Exception indeed but you don't need to be the tall to enjoy a game of basketball. Playing at the highest level and enjoying the game are two different affairs. I will give another example.. in football you have 11 players and so the role is divided. In basketball, there are just 5 players. So you have to contribute more in each play. Plus, there are so many baskets while you have just a few goals in football. Not trying to say football is crap because I love it too and it has it's own strengths, just saying a few reasons why basketball is a great game.
    Yeah,no probs with that at all. I was trying to show how, if you're not into a sport that much, your pre-conceptions govern your thoughts on the game.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    A note, never try and impress a girl by talking about cricket. I have expirience of this

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information