• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket....er...what?

atisha_ro

U19 12th Man
actually it's an offshoot of the dutch spoken by the Boers who were defeated by the Englishmen some 120 years ago - so not really a native language like the others you mentioned.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Afrikaans = language
Yes I do know that. I was pointing out that it sounds more like an African language, e.g Zulu
Haha, Afrikaans is an African language too, y'know. :confused:
Well yeah but it's the Dutch derived language as spoken mainly by the white South Africans...I think you know what I mean.
It might be Dutch-derived, but it's still been spoken in Africa for centuries... so it's not really much different to Nguni or Sotho.
Of course there's a difference oh argumentative one :dry:
What? The colour of the skin of those who most typically speak them?

That's the only difference I can see, and personally I don't tend to take the blindest bit of notice of the colour of someone's skin.
But that's the obvious difference that you seem to prefer to ignore. Not sure why, unless you think it's racist somehow which is a bit ridiculous tbh
It hasn't really been spoken for centuries...
actually it's an offshoot of the dutch spoken by the Boers who were defeated by the Englishmen some 120 years ago - so not really a native language like the others you mentioned.
Wow, so many things wrong with what is written above. :blink:

Afrikaans is probably still the most widely spoken language in SA (though English has been closing the gap for a while now). It is very much a live language and an important part of SA culture (though I dont speak a word of it)

As a native (ie 1st) language or language of the home, Afrikaans is spoken by more people of colour than white people. It certainly is not a 'White' language and there are many ethnic groups that would take offence to that purely because it isnt true.

Whilst Afrikaans has similarities to Dutch and is derived from it that doesn't mean it isnt its own distinct language. All languages evolve from others and Afrikaans has evolved into its own distinct language during the centuries of Afrikaans settlement of Southern Africa.

jot1

State Vice-Captain
Whilst Afrikaans has similarities to Dutch and is derived from it that doesn't mean it isnt its own distinct language./QUOTE]
Also a lot of German and English, which is why most Afrikaans speakers can understand the gist of a Dutch, German or English sentence, without being able to speak the language at all. :)

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
I meant, it hasn't been spoken for centuries as in it hasn't existed for centuries, the language is 'newer' than that. I'm well aware that many people speak Afrikaans, I thought that was common knowledge so I didn't bother to correct my wording.