• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best 'street-fighter'

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
As much as I hate the term, there have been some great 'street-fighters' who have displayed great physical and metal strength when on the cricket field.

I think one of the first names that many people on here would refer to would be Steve Waugh - unfortuantely though, he played in a team which didn't need a lot of fighting, although his innings prior to Australian domination of international cricket is worthy of note (specificially his innings in the Windies).

In saying that, my choice for best 'street-fighter' - would be Michael Atherton. Ask me prior to joining this board and I wouldn't of understood why he is held in such high regard in the international cricketing community.

(This thread is dedicated to Chanderpaul)

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I'd also add Waugh's innings at Old Trafford in 1997 - he's certainly in my "XI That I'd Want in the Trenches".

Javed & Border also spring immediately to mind.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ranatunga for mine. Love him or hate him (very much in the latter camp myself), he was a player who certainly wasn't afraid to mix it with the oppo and supported his men to the absolute hilt. Some of his antics left a bad taste, but I reckon if he was your captain you'd follow him anywhere.

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
There were better street fighters than athers, but he played quite possibly the greatest ever back to the wall innings in jo'burg. absolutely incredible knock against donald and pollock.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Not in the class of some of the guys mentioned, but Hussain was probably the nearest England have had to an out-and-out street fighter. Kandy in 2001, Headingley in 1998, Trent Bridge 2003, etc, etc

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Can a street fighter be aesthetically attractive to watch when batting? If so, have there ever been any? Or does it come with the territory that they generally aren't as attractive in their stroke play, but make up for it with their grit?

Note: that doesn't mean you can't enjoy watching the names played bat, eg. I used to love seeing Border, who was a huge favourite of mine.