• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best 'street-fighter'

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
ie > y TBH.

And such as? Not read anything of it myself, and if you're right that changes things very much. But as I say - everything I heard pointed to it being unlawful killing.
The bouncer got off because witnesses said that Hookes punched the doorman first and the doorman retaliated and Hookes died not because of the punch but because his head hit the floor first. (as I recall)

And what does "ie > y" mean??

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The bouncer got off because witnesses said that Hookes punched the doorman first and the doorman retaliated and Hookes died not because of the punch but because his head hit the floor first. (as I recall)
I'd always known about the reason for his death (ie hitting the floor not fist) but I'd heard nothing suggesting he struck the bouncer.
And what does "ie > y" mean??
Dickie > Dicky TBH.

HeathDavisSpeed

I'd always known about the reason for his death (ie hitting the floor not fist) but I'd heard nothing suggesting he struck the bouncer.

Dickie > Dicky TBH.
I'll try and remember where I heard what I remember...

All I can find is that the bouncer 'said' that Hookes hit him twice:

http://content-nz.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/216806.html

and then the bouncer got off:

http://content-nz.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/218897.html

Far from conclusive though...

Anyway, I'm steering this thread off course. Not fair on the threadstarter.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha. Poor-taste jokes are a leitmoteif (sp, possibly - don't often need that one) of CW, on any forum. Not always fair to completely blame the poor-taste-perpetrator. :p These things work both ways.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

archie mac

International Coach
Hookes was a great player, I enjoyed watching him bat several times. In my opinion (and based on what I've read and the result of the court case) his demise was his own fault and if some other form of high profile figure (politician, Paris Hilton etc.) had gone in the same way, their epitaph wouldn't have been spared from bad taste jokes. Bad taste, it may be, but Hookes deserves a bit of it to be honest. Would the joke have been in bad taste if he hadn't died? Grow some guts man and have a laugh - I somehow doubt Hookes would mind if you think about it!! 8-)

Whatever floats ya boat. That sort of line was never gonna impress everyone, but frankly the world would be a much poorer place if people weren't prepared to push the boundaries of decency and taste.
Mate if I think something is funny I will laugh, and if I find something in bad taste I will say so.

You also have your facts wrong regarding the fight, I am reading a book on the subject atm

Also I am sure Hookes would not mind, his family who are still living may not be so impressed if the truth be told, but as long as you find it funny8-)

HeathDavisSpeed

You also have your facts wrong regarding the fight, I am reading a book on the subject atm
I've only gone by what I've read in the news - although mis-reporting isn't unheard of, I have linked to cricinfo articles regarding 'my version'.

If you really think the joke is that poor taste, I am more than happy to delete it. This is wrecking someone else's thread and I hadn't set out to upset anyone.

archie mac

International Coach
I've only gone by what I've read in the news - although mis-reporting isn't unheard of, I have linked to cricinfo articles regarding 'my version'.

If you really think the joke is that poor taste, I am more than happy to delete it. This is wrecking someone else's thread and I hadn't set out to upset anyone.
I think Kelsey Grammer (Frasier) said it best 'the new generation of comedians are going to have to be funny without upsetting anyone'

So leave it up mate, maybe I am being to precious:)