• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best 'street-fighter'

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
AB.

When Jeff Dujon lists as one of his greatest disapoointments the fact that AB didn't get a ton in each innings vs the fearsome foursome in the WI in 84, that really says it all as to the toughness of the bloke.

One of the toughest fighters in cricket, especially as he had to carry his side for a large portion of the 80s.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Javed Mianded, Allan Border, Steve Waugh are the three that spring to mind for me as being some of the more successful batsman who could be 'street-fighters'. Obviously there are some lesser batsman like Michael Atherton who were just as determined but less illustrious.

BoyBrumby has some very good points about Arjuna Ranatunga though, certainly an inspiration for Sri Lanka.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nah, I never think of Steve Waugh as having had immense talent....his brother Mark is a different story
Well you obviously didn't see much of Steve in his early days, because he was one of the most talented cricketers of his generation. Thing is, he channelled this talent into a productive batting style and limited himself in order to be more successful, not always allowing that talent to shine through. No doubting he had bucketloads of the stuff IMO.

Fiery

Banned
Well you obviously didn't see much of Steve in his early days, because he was one of the most talented cricketers of his generation. Thing is, he channelled this talent into a productive batting style and limited himself in order to be more successful, not always allowing that talent to shine through. No doubting he had bucketloads of the stuff IMO.
mmm, I remember his OD debut against NZ actually

Fiery

Banned
Yeah, pick out one irrelevant segment of my response, that's a real good way to put your point across.
Well, I kind of agreed with most of the rest of your argument... so didn't bother arguing that part :). As for not seeing much of early part of his career...I saw all of it.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Gary Kirsten and Waugh are names that spring to mind first and Chanderpaul is capable of being pretty gritty the other day was brilliant.

A name I'm going to throw into the ring which might seem a bit odd is Laxman, he certainly never resembled a street-fighter...there was nothing scrappy or limited about his batting and he didnt appear particularly dogged, but he played the best innings (let alone rear-guard innings) I've ever seen against Australia in 2001, and little over a year before he made another great hundred against the strong Australian attack on a greenish pitch in Sydney.