• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ESPN acquires Cricinfo - Implications for Cricket Web

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
http://content-nz.cricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/297655.html

What are the Implications for CW. To me there is a great potential for CW in trying to establish itself as the Neutral non corporate, non Multinational voice of Cricket for the genuine fans of the Game.

Do we want Cricket , the game we love and cherish, and its bastions (the voice of Cricket) to be taken over by Multinational conglomerates....

Not sure how many people at ESPN even understand Cricket ..

What next ...

Your opinions are most welcome.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Do we want Cricket , the game we love and cherish, and its bastions (the voice of Cricket) to be taken over by Multinational conglomerates....
Heath say "YES!"

I'd like cricket to be taken over by Mr. Kipling as he makes exceedingly good cakes and could improve the general teas standard ten-fold if given the chance.

"NO" to anyone else, mind.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Heath say "YES!"

I'd like cricket to be taken over by Mr. Kipling as he makes exceedingly good cakes and could improve the general teas standard ten-fold if given the chance.

"NO" to anyone else, mind.
No wonder you were a Fat tubby guy during your days for NZ.:laugh:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No wonder you were a Fat tubby guy during your days for NZ.:laugh:

You bastard. You take that back. I was in the peak of physical fitness. Fitness only ever reached by such luminaries as Sir Edmond Hillary, Colin Meads and Jesse Ryder.

I'm starting to get a little fed up of the abuse that Heath is taking here. I gave 100% for my country! No less!

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
You bastard. You take that back. I was in the peak of physical fitness. Fitness only ever reached by such luminaries as Sir Edmond Hillary, Colin Meads and Jesse Ryder.

I'm starting to get a little fed up of the abuse that Heath is taking here. I gave 100% for my country! No less!
:laugh:

Fiery

Banned

No one's questioning your effort Heath, just your effect :p

Craig

World Traveller

Gotta love how Heath talks about himself as the 3rd person :ph34r:

Or was that 3rd man?

(Look I know my jokes are crap but please bear with me)

Josh

International Regular
Will it actually change the content drastically?? I mean, Cricinfo is quite large in itself and it seems to work fine without any real complications. Will it merely just be ESPN's Cricinfo?? Just a change of image rather than a change of role, function, bias, etc??

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Wisden acquired Cricinfo only a few years back right? Seems a very quick sale, they would have been offered a boat load.

I wonder if they actually planned this Harvest strategy when first purchasing Cricinfo. With ESPN becoming ever more involved in cricket, and Cricinfo the dominant online cricket hub (far more than ESPN-Star, BBC and Fox Sports) they must have known that ESPN would want it eventually.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
CricketWeb to become like Linux to ESPN-Cricinfos Windows?

Providing a smaller but important, more free and less politicised arena for cricket news and discussion?

shortpitched713

International Captain
CricketWeb to become like Linux to ESPN-Cricinfos Windows?

Providing a smaller but important, more free and less politicised arena for cricket news and discussion?
I don't think we're quite there yet, especially when it comes to visibility to the average cricket/sports fan, but it would be great if that could happen.

James

Cricket Web Owner
I don't think we're quite there yet, especially when it comes to visibility to the average cricket/sports fan, but it would be great if that could happen.
Not sure how that can really be done to be honest. I've been looking for someone with an advertising background for quite some time actually. If anyone who happens to be an expert in this field, get in touch :)

Josh

International Regular
Not sure how that can really be done to be honest. I've been looking for someone with an advertising background for quite some time actually. If anyone who happens to be an expert in this field, get in touch :)
I'm studying marketing and publicity lol

Unfortunately for you all in happens to be in the music industry.