• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Whats Wrong With Southerners?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Actually, facetious and flippant as I may be, when does it stop being acceptable to cry? I can remember any tears past the age of about 7 or 8 to have resulted in serious mickey-taking and the word "bealing" (is that exclusive to Grimsby?) being strewn around like confetti.

Down here year sixes (age 11) cry and it gets sympathy...
I know what you mean.

I'm coaching my young bloke's under 6 football side. You know, they get flooged 8-0 coz they're all 4 -5 y.o playing against 6 y.os, they don't chase the ball, don't listen, etc., and they come off and you're supposed to encourage them, and we do. Meh.

I long for the days like when my grandfather coached me at football and cricket. We'd be in the under 12s and get rolled for 90-odd, he'd walk off, say "Everyone in the sheds", then proceed to peel paint off the walls - "That was the most gutless and inept display of batting I've seen in 30 years of coaching at this club", "Show some bloody heart", "Learn to get behind the ball", "You're out there batting like a pack of scared litle girls", etc. etc.

And that was his relaxed, refined summer mode - don't start me on the soccer side of things.

After 8 weeks of my son's soccer side getting flogged, I'd just like to be able to fire up once, rather than have to go around high-fiving them and asking if they had fun, when they spent 3/4 of the game picking the ball out of the net!!

And another thing, because they get smashed each week, they kick-off on average 6-9 times per game. You'd think they'd be getting good at it, but oh no, they stand there looking at you and you STILL have to tell them where to stand.

So Neil, to answer your question, I'm 37 and I still cry in frustration every week at full time after the under 6s lose yet another game.

I start therapy next week.....

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Last night, we had an Under 12 match away at Budleigh Salterton.

Budleigh made 135-8 in their 20 overs. In that score were at least 40 extras - including a no-ball that was over-stepped by a good foot and a couple of head-balls. We also witnessed four or five overthrows, one person sitting down, gesticulating after a misfield instead of backing up the throw costing another overthrow, three or four ball-through-legs/trying-to-stop-with-foot-and-miss episodes, and three refusals to even try catching the ball which led to it bouncing and spinning past them. To the boundary.

The innings break team talk began with the phrase "that is the worst bowling and fielding performance I have seen across any age group in four years at this club", and proceeded to question why they weren't even trying to catch the ball, and whether they actually wanted to play cricket, before finishing by inviting them to go home now if they thought we had no chance of winning it.

The response was a six-wicket win and an opening stand of 100.

Whilst Budleigh were fielding, we had two interesting bits of evidence for the crying theory: a) child slides at mid-off and stops powerfully hit drive with side of face. Gets up and gets on with it. Dad is Northern; b) child bowls over that costs 19. On verge of tears at square leg afterwards. No evidence of Northern blood.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Last night, we had an Under 12 match away at Budleigh Salterton.

Budleigh made 135-8 in their 20 overs. In that score were at least 40 extras - including a no-ball that was over-stepped by a good foot and a couple of head-balls.
Thought I'd left the team... :mellow:

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes I remember the good old days of junior cricket. The plastic bats, air balls and the best game that has ever existed on plannet earth...diamond cricket.:). Suppose it was only 4 years ago when I was last playing under 12's cricket.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Junior cricket is the best. I'll never forget the many happy Friday nights spent playing matches, and then just sleeping in the changing rooms for the Saturday match, ah good times.........

Xuhaib

International Coach
Similar thing with all (and I mean all) Pakistani fast bowlers to have taken like 100 wickets coming out of the same area of Pakistan. Genetically speaking, there is a clear difference between people in various areas.

I for one support the invasion of Pakistan so we can claim those areas as our own :P. On topic though, I didn't know it was this marked in England too...is there a similar difference in body type/build between northern and southern England?
Yup in Pakistan Punjab has a culture of developing fast bowlers. This is because people from Punjab are suppose to be more well built and physically strong then people from Karachi (the other main area where there is a cricket culture), however this is something which I feel would change with the increased emphasis being placed on gym work the lack of natural strength is something which can be overcome with more time in the gym.