• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Whats Wrong With Southerners?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Not quite as significant as the fast bowling but there is a definate Southern flavour to the batting.

It is an interesting question as to why? As with the bowling, maybe its a residual cultural hangover from the old Am/Pro days, or possibly more likely the selectors have had streotypes in their heads and liked the idea of a bluff Northerner doing the hard work and having batsmen from fashionable and important counties doing the batting.

There surely is an element of regional bias involved in both areas, just a matter of how much.
It's probably not a concidence that all of the northern batsmen (exc. a certain allrounder) are openers, whereas the southerners are mainly from the middle order. I suppose that fits with the northerner doing the hard work seeing off the new ball so that the fancy dans from the south can blaze away with impunity once life is easier. Something like that, anyway.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Traditionally the N/S divide has been seen as a line drawn from the Severn to the Wash (as shown below by the Pink line).

Its all up for debate though. What is a Northerner to a Northerner is different to what a Northerner is to a Southerner. :)

In addition the fact that certain places like Worcs are in the Midlands means they are by definition not in the South. It hasnt been mentioned that Worcs is in the North.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Southerners are soft basically.

Generally, cricket has been more prevelent in the South due to the climate etc, obviously there are some notable expections, like Yorkshire and Lancashire, but most of the best counties are more South.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
England Players debuting Post-WW2 with over 4000 Test runs (Southern born and raised in red) (overseas born in blue)

ME Trescothick
MP Vaughan
MA Butcher
GP Thorpe

N Hussain
AJ Stewart
MA Atherton
RA Smith
AJ Lamb

MW Gatting
DI Gower

IT Botham
GA Gooch
APE Knott

G Boycott
JH Edrich
ER Dexter
KF Barrington
MC Cowdrey
TW Graveney
PBH May

If that list doesn't get people to recognise that southerners are soft compared to northerners then nothing will.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The north/south dividing point is, traditionally, the Watford Gap service station near Rugby. Or so I was always lead to believe.

Some of the bowlers claimed as "northern" are really only "northern" in the same way as Andrew Symonds is a Brummie. Botham was raised & educated in Yeovil from the age of four, Fraser went to school in Harrow (Gayton High rather than the public school) & Willis in Guildford. For mine upbringing is far more important than birthplace.

Broadly speaking tho there is some measure of truth in the nothern bowler/southern batsman stereotype. It does come back to class in my estimation; seamers are very much the labouring class of cricket, whereas batsmen are more likely to be of what was once called the officer class. It's no coincidence that the vast majority of England captains have been batsmen either. Of course the theory stands or falls on the "south: rich, north: poor" stereotype. The homogenising effect of the 21st century means the differences between the north & south have lessened, but they do still exist, if only as shared cultural memories. It could be that these memories are still informing & shaping the make up of our cricket team.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Some of the bowlers claimed as "northern" are really only "northern" in the same way as Andrew Symonds is a Brummie. Botham was raised & educated in Yeovil from the age of four, Fraser went to school in Harrow (Gayton High rather than the public school) & Willis in Guildford. For mine upbringing is far more important than birthplace.
Agreed.

simmy

International Regular
In reply to OP, its colder up north, like practically arctic, so its easier to run around all day without getting sweaty. Simple biomechanics really.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Actually, facetious and flippant as I may be, when does it stop being acceptable to cry? I can remember any tears past the age of about 7 or 8 to have resulted in serious mickey-taking and the word "bealing" (is that exclusive to Grimsby?) being strewn around like confetti.

Down here year sixes (age 11) cry and it gets sympathy...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Actually, facetious and flippant as I may be, when does it stop being acceptable to cry? I can remember any tears past the age of about 7 or 8 to have resulted in serious mickey-taking and the word "bealing" (is that exclusive to Grimsby?) being strewn around like confetti.

Down here year sixes (age 11) cry and it gets sympathy...
Depends whether you're male or female.

Can't remember crying since about age 7 or so, so I'd guess that'd be about it for lads.