• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How many runs is acceptable for you to raise your bat at the end your innings?

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
My first run is usually accompanied by cheers and laughs from the friends in the stands. But scoring a run is a rarity though.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I always thought raising your bat was simply a way to acknowledge the crowd if they clapped you off. Hence, no clap - no bat raise from me. If I made 0 and got clapped off though I'd raise my bat. I let others make the decision, basically.

cover drive man

International Captain
I always thought raising your bat was simply a way to acknowledge the crowd if they clapped you off. Hence, no clap - no bat raise from me. If I made 0 and got clapped off though I'd raise my bat. I let others make the decision, basically.
Got a golden duck today and got clapped off :huh: I didnt raise my bat.

mjramay

Cricket Spectator
Well i saw Many players got 30-40 runs no claps from crowd.....but raised their bats....wat was dat buddyyy?????????????

stumpski

International Captain
All depends on the context of the match, surely - if your side were playing for a draw 10 off 50 balls would be a valuable innings. As would 12 not out at number 11 if it meant winning the match.

But yes, I'd agree that if you're clapped off, you should acknowledge that.

sideshowtim

Banned
Yeah, it depends on the context of the match.

For example, Ponting's masterful 49 in Adelaide in the Ashes, he raised his bat for that and the crowd gave him a standing ovation. Rather than being for that innings alone it was for his superb first innings batting, captaincy, fight-back and that innings as well. So yes, there are lots of times when you should raise your bat if it's appropriate in the context.

Your final match is another one, even if you get out for 0.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yep, exact same here. You get applause, you raise your bat. Therefore, even in the frequent event that I get the ironic cheers having been out 1st ball, I always raise my bat (in as much jest as the applause) to acknowledge it.

Clarence

U19 Cricketer
Yes, I believe it is appropriate to do so only to acknowledge applause. What I don't believe is appropriate, is people who clap batsmen off the ground when they played a sub-par innings. I never clap unless people make atleast 80-100, it's their jobs to do that, if they haven't they have failed. Unless it is a particularly match saving/fighting 30 or 40 that is obviously a great innings. Likewise, I do not expect people to clap me off the ground if I have let the team down. I however do not raise my bat if I am clapped off the ground and have failed.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If the crowd applauds you then it is polite to raise your bat and acknowledge them IMO, even if you score 0.

gunner

U19 Cricketer
depends on the circumestances

if others also get a100 then not too important
but if you really struggle to egt a 100 while others struggle to make any sort of runs then you have every right to raise your bat

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The context of the match as well as the class of the innings.
Indeed. 30 from 15 balls at the end of a one-day innings can be as valuable as a well-paced hundred sometimes. Innings in match context. Also the mode of dismissal may call into question whether the bat should be raised.