• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

West Indies Cricket......

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Well I decided to start this thread to see what y'all think are the problems and/or what could be done to correct them in West Indies cricket. That was the day before I found out about this: www.windiescricket.com/governance_committee.asp , where the Governance Committee appointed by the WICB led by former Prime Minister of Jamaica has invited views on the future of WI cricket. Just spurred me on further and so here are my thoughts.

1) Improvement of Domestic Cricket - It's just absolutely horrendous that the First Class season lasts just five games. Also, the maximum amount of List-A matches is just seven. There is no way international cricketers can be produced from such a system. I would have seven teams competing with the option of an eighth. These are Trinidad and Tobago, Jamaica, Barbados, Windward Islands, Guyana, Leeward Islands, West Indies B and the option of West Indies U-19. Each team would play each other thrice if just the seven are involved but only twice with the inclusion of West Indies U-19. West Indies B and U-19 would be composed of squads of 18 players with each player playing at least 6 matches in both forms of the game. All players would be contracted to their respective teams for a minimum of two seasons and a maximum of five excepting West Indies B and U-19. This does not mean that contracts can't be terminated but only at the completion of each season. Both forms should be played at the same time e.g Jamaica plays two List-A matches in three days then have a four day break followed by a First Class match with a List-A match three days after. The composition of West Indies B will be that of players outside the twenty-five selected by each of the six traditional teams and not eligible for West Indies U-19.

2) West Indies Academy - Plans are already afoot but I shall discuss this in any event. There should be academies set up in each of the six traditional territories with one of those six being a central academy preferably in one of the larger territories. Each academy shall hold a minimum of 25 youth between the ages of 14 and 17. The central academy however shall hold a minimum of 40 from the ages 14 to 20. Upon reaching the age of 17 or having shown enough prowess to complete the courses before said age, the graduates from each academy shall be transferred to the central academy not numbering more than 25 to comply with the guidelines set out in point 1. These 25 players shall comprise the West Indies U-19 and shall be contracted to said team and will be so until they are older than 19 before the start of a regional season or they opt out or are deemed not good enough. These players shall be first choice for West Indies B upon their eligibility for West Indies U-19 being surpassed.

3) Twenty/20 - The Twenty/20 competition should be run upon the completion of both the First Class and List-A seasons. The format as it is now is fine with there only being need for more cooperation between the WICB and the sponsor whoever that may be.

3) Funding - This is fundamental if any of the above are to be implemented. Ways need to be found to fund all the competitions, teams, academies, clubs and intangibles. These monies can be pursued through the avenues of sponsorships and merchandising. There is also the case for governments to assist in sponsorship in each of the traditional teams with the WICB sponsoring their affiliate teams. Another avenue is the establishment of a lottery as a steady stream of income for the WICB. In closing, merchandising is definitely an area to be looked into. The West Indies is one of the strongest cricketing brands around and this needs to be tapped into. Collaboration with the BCCI may be of assistance.

4) Club Cricket - This is an area that is suffering and needs desperate attention. Clubs in each territory should be subsidised by either governments and/or the territorial associations. Club cricketers should be compensated for each match played as well as bonuses for brilliant performances i.e. centuries, 5 wicket hauls, etc. An idea may be to have a regional playoff of the top club teams in each form from each territory. Facilities at these clubs need to be improved around the region with the addition of better seating and more practise nets including indoor nets.

5) West Indies Cricket Board - The President of the Board shall not serve more than two consecutive terms of three years each. Board members shall not serve more than two consecutive three year terms. The CEO shall be contracted for a period deemed fit but whose contract should only be renewed based on performance. There should also be a CARICOM representative present at all major Board meetings. The Board shall have major control over the academies as well as the West Indies B and U-19 teams. The Board shall also ensure the composition the coaching staff of each territorial team as well as the West Indies is such that there is but not limited to a Head Coach, an Assistant Coach, a Fielding Coach, a Batting Coach, a Bowling Coach, a Physiotherapist, a Fitness Coach and a Sports Psychologist. The psychologist is optional for the regional teams but necessary for the West Indies U-19 and West Indies teams.

Sorry about how the post sounds but it serves double purposes and so was required to be written as such.

archie mac

International Coach
Top ideas:)

Being able to remember the WIs when they were the best in the world; the last few years have been very hard to take.

I recall in the good old days Mike Holding saying 'it does not matter how many our boys make, we will always bowl out the opposition for less'

You can't teach that sort of confidence:)

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
I just caught the tail end of tha. Too young to care and when I was old enough I wasn't all that interested. Came into cricket post 2000 when Walsh and Ambrose were near retirement so it's been pretty much all bad for me.

Flem274*

123/5
WI cricket now is like NZ cricket in the 90's. Potential is there but it hasn't been realized yet and the little guys are relying on the big guys (Gayle, Sarwan, Chanderpaul, Collymore) to win the match for them. Also the selection of random bowlers when they could have right now three genuine quicks, a spinner, and probably Bravo as an allrounder is just mental.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Ive detailed a number of times in the past why I think the WI were the best so I think its important that I probably detail some form of gameplan Id recommend for W Indian improvement.

First and foremost is the move towards cricket run in a professional fashion. The 2 keys to this would be-

Pro-gress

a) Streamlining of the WICB and the possibility of a foreign Chairman to remove even potential Island bias and the appointment of a qualified and proven strategic planner to set financial growth targets and achievable plans on how they will be fulfilled.

b) Large munbers of cenral contracts for the players (more than the 8 given out in 2006) so the WICB are the full time employers of the vast majority of any squad. The players have financial security and the coaches and team can work at length with individuals. The coach and board have a lot more power in shaping the players as cricketers and demanding a more professional approach.

Forward to the Past

Ideas and plans that were successful in the heyday of WI cricket must be re-introduced.

a) England as a finishing school. Young (and even established) West Indian players have to play good level club cricket (as CC contracts will be hard to come by) in England. An overseas pro has a lot of pressure to perform each and every week and English club cricket builds a discipline and application that many cricketers in the past have claimed helped them dramatically improve.

b) Top quality support staff and training. There is no excuse for lack of flexability and poor fielding. The current training regime of the West Indian players is poor (as detailed in a number of publications). During and after World Series Cricket (late 70s and then after) the West Indian domination of International cricket was heavily influenced by Dennis Waight being employed as physio and trainer. Due to the Australian physio the West Indians dramiatically improved strength and fitness and led the World in this area.

Structures

a) The increased movoment of players to play for different Islands would increase the standard of play within the West Indies. An effort must be made to further reduce immigration issues between countries in the Carib. No longer would Islands be virtually dependant on their locally produced talent but if they showed ambition and financial accumen then they could attract players to strengthen areas that are weak in their squad of local players. It also would stop the larger countries being lazy and complacent (sp?) over their talent. If they dont look after them then they will move. The increased freedom of movement of players within the Nations in the domestic competition would improve standards and make the players and the boards more focused and professional.

b) A full time Academy must be set up where young players are brought through already experienced in the professional demands of International cricket. Basically you need to teach 'em young about the correct approach and mentality to succeed. It would obviously help the standard of cricket as tours to places like India and South Africa would allow young players to experience a wide range of conditions.

c) As was done a few years ago, It could be a good idea to incorporate an 'A' team into the domestic competition. England A did it a few years ago (I dont know if it was continued in other years). Not only does this give West Indian players a chance to see the mentality and approach of foreign players on the verge of Test cricket but it allows them to benchmark their talents against good players from overseas. There are also many opportunities to learn.

Twenty20

A big success with big money that had exciting cricket and good crowds. More importantly (depite the sponsors origins) it was an event that was a pure West Indian effort. It was something the players and the administrators could look back on with proide and WI cricket needs as many positive things happening as possible.

Id type more but Im sure noone will even read this little lot :p

Last edited:

Beleg

International Regular
West Indies cricket needs solid batsmen. For me, one of the biggest mysteries of modern cricket has been the failure of Sarwan at test level. I truly can't understand how such a brilliant batsman boasts such a disaappointing record. A middle-order based around Sarwan and Chanderpaul firing at all cylinders has a lot of potential.

As far as I am concerned, after Bishop the best bowler to have played for WI was pre-injury Reon King. A lot of them were introduced before they were ready to play at international level or weren't given enough chances.

I think, at this stage, even more important then running things at a professional level is the need to infuse the team with spirit and vigour for competition. Really, WI of recent years have often been listless and casual to a fault - resulting not only in basic fielding errors but also providing the opposition with the psychological advantage.

A lot of that has to do with a lack of strong, motivating leadership. Gone are the almost omnipresent Lloyd and Vivs, even the playful calypso swagger of Richardson is no longer seen on the field. Lara, and specially Chanderpaul are not born leaders, and unfortunately, I don't see anybody among the younger crop who has both the presence and the cricketing skills to lead the team confidently or by example. WI needs to somehow find the spark that keeps eleven men up on their toes in face of overwhelming odds... (and once is not enough)

WI can start by trying to exploit the home advantage factor and manufcaturing pitches to suit their strentghs...

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
West Indies' main problem is a lack of a fearsome bowling attack which they have had in each era of success. From Roberts to Walsh. Currently, their bowlers rarely push 140kph consistantly and when they do, notice the West Indian success.