• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

West Indies Cricket......

JBMAC

State Captain
From what I have read there is more money being poured into basketball than there is cricket hence most of the youngsters who could be the next Hall, Lloyd etc are moving away from cricket to where the money is. It's an economic decision or greed..your call

White Lightning

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Unfortunately it all comes down to funding doesn't it??

and as JBMAC said a lot of youngsters are leaning towards basketball. and the natural athletisicm of the caribean population has them going to the stats were the money is...

the windies have some great potential but the consitency is no where to be seen...

i agree with your ideas for the academy and the first class competition. 5 games is redicolous.

i don't think they want to have an english style system where there are countless amounts of games.

if you've got 8 provinces, then i think a 2 division system would work - play each in your own division twice, each in the other division once. 10 games in total. then semi finals and final. provides for enough cricket to gauge how players are performing, but not too many games that players get burnt out and state playing mediocre un-intense provincial cricket (you get too many so-so games when players play redicolous amounts of cricket).

one-day competition. play each once. then semis then final.

and get some money in from a 20twenty competition... i think this format would be very popular in the caribeann

as for the your academy ideas - they all sound very good, but ultimately it comes down to funding at the end of the day....

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Unfortunately it all comes down to funding doesn't it??

and as JBMAC said a lot of youngsters are leaning towards basketball. and the natural athletisicm of the caribean population has them going to the stats were the money is.
Leaving aside a point or two Im not going to address.

The basketball thing is a myth. Where are the West Indian basketball players from the cricket playing islands?

There is not one West Indian cricket playing nation ranked in the Basketball World rankings (73 nations) :-O ie they have a rating of 0

http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/even/rank/rankMen.asp

and noone from any of the major islands playing in the NBA.

The basketball thing is a cop out. If they are moving towards basketball in droves, as suggested, they are the worst basketball players in the world.

They are in a mess if they cant produce cricket talent because they are too busy not producing basketball talent

White Lightning

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
thats interesting goughy as the usualy line trotted out is that so many are turning to basketball... i must admit i never really looked into it as i just don't really understand basketball. it kinda just thought it was a fairly natural fit given the natural athletisicm of caribeann people.

from what your saying, the basketball line is a bit of a cop out and just makes you wonder what is going on over in the west indies....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The basketball thing is something that's said very often, it's a very popular fairytale.

Perhaps most interesting is that Michael Holding said a year or so ago that kids always played basketball - just that they played cricket as well, and more often than not turned to cricket.

One question not addressed by the no-West-Indian-teams-in-basketball-rankings is: how many Caribbean-origin players (if any) play in the US of A?

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Not necessarily that they're in the NBA or anything like that but there are loads of them who'd be playing cricket 20 years ago, now in American universities playing basketball on scholarship. At least 50 from Jamaica I feel at any one time.