• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

# 4 for the All Time Test XI

# 4 Batsman for the All Time Test XI

• Total voters

oz_fan

International Regular
This is a poll to decide the # 4 batsman for the All Time Test XI. Following Bradman's selection at # 3 all the middle order batsmen will be included in this poll. The list of contenders are:

Batsman Mat Inn NO Runs HS1 HS2 HS3 Ave 100 50
Wally Hammond - 85 140 16 7249 336* 251 240 58.45 22 24
George Headley - 22 40 4 2190 270* 223 176 60.83 10 5
Viv Richards - 121 182 12 8540 291 232 208 50.23 24 45
Sachin Tendulkar - 137 220 23 10922 248* 241* 217 55.44 37 43
Brian Lara - 131 232 6 11953 400* 375 277 52.88 34 48
Gary Sobers - 93 160 21 8032 365* 226 198 57.78 26 30

adharcric

International Coach
Holy ****, this could get close. Every single one of them has a strong case. Hammond vs Tendulkar right here with Sobers set in stone at 6.

Last edited:

oz_fan

International Regular
I think this is the toughest choice so far. I'm going to go with Lara but any of these batsmen could make the side.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Holy ****, this could get close. Every single one of them has a strong case. Hammond vs Tendulkar right here with Sobers set in stone at 6.
Yeah it's a real killer, I've voted for Wally, but on another day I could vote for any one of 'em:unsure:

sideshowtim

Banned
Dunno, he's been pretty average for a few years now. Definitely lost his aura. 4 test centuries in the last 3 years, and 3 of them have been against Bangladesh. Sure he had a good run during his career, but if we're giving points for that Ponting should without a doubt be on this list.

Fiery

Banned
Dunno, he's been pretty average for a few years now. Definitely lost his aura. 4 test centuries in the last 3 years, and 3 of them have been against Bangladesh. Sure he had a good run during his career, but if we're giving points for that Ponting should without a doubt be on this list.
Ponting usually bats 3

sideshowtim

Banned
Making his job harder too might I add. Many argue that's the most difficult position to bat in. Anyway, I won't get into the whole Ponting is better than Tendulkar thing...

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
tsk...the Tendulkar-hate on this forum is ridiculous imo.
Nah, Sir Viv had the same type of critisism in his last three to four years when he averaged 30. Five to ten years after his retirement it'll go away. I don't really bother arguing it atm.

Fiery

Banned
Making his job harder too might I add. Many argue that's the most difficult position to bat in. Anyway, I won't get into the whole Ponting is better than Tendulkar thing...
Ponting > Tendulkar at the moment. Tendulkar > Ponting in terms of entire career imo

sideshowtim

Banned
Ponting > Tendulkar at the moment. Tendulkar > Ponting in terms of entire career imo
Hard to say that though I think. And it doesn't entirely make sense to me.

Let's look at them at the same point in their careers.

After 110 matches:
Tendulkar - 8,964 runs @ 55.33 (31 100's, 36 50's)
Ponting - 9,368 @ 59.29 (33 100's, 36 50's)

I mean, ever since then Tendulkar hasn't been magnificent either really. Unless something drastic happens to Ponting, and I mean ridiculously drastic It's going to become harder and harder to argue that Tendulkar is better than Ponting. Especially considering some of the amazing knocks Ponting has played with the weight of the captaincy.

Fiery

Banned

After 110 matches:

I mean, ever since then Tendulkar hasn't been magnificent either really. Unless something drastic happens to Ponting, and I mean ridiculously drastic It's going to become harder and harder to argue that Tendulkar is better than Ponting. Especially considering some of the amazing knocks Ponting has played with the weight of the captaincy.
I have no doubt Ponting will become the greater player before too long, he's just not quite there yet imo but it's a worthy debate

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The "black Bradman", not getting a vote yet, I think I'd change my vote if I knew that may happen :(

adharcric

International Coach

After 110 matches:

Of course, Tendulkar and Ponting faced the same attacks on the same pitches ...

archie mac

International Coach

After 110 matches:

I always feel that when I pick an all time 11, each player will be some how able to perform at their very best. I think ST at his very best, would be just about as good as it can get:)