• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Would Bangladesh give the Windies a run for their money?

sideshowtim

Banned
Sorry if this has already been discussed, but the Windies are playing some of the poorest international cricket I can remember since the earlier days of Bangldesh. I honestly think a test match between the two teams would go right down to the wire with Bangladesh even being a reasonable shot of winning it. Particularly at home.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
England have been pretty awful at times, too, especially Plunkett and Harmison.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
West Indies to win comfortably. WI are poor especially when compared to their past teams where as Bangladesh are very poor period.

Bangladesh have little going for them apart from a lot of well wishers and optimists.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
West Indies to win comfortably. WI are poor especially when compared to their past teams where as Bangladesh are very poor period.

Bangladesh have little going for them apart from a lot of well wishers and optimists.
Have to agree. WIndies are woeful at the moment, but would still beat Bangladesh.
Wouldn't say it'd be a comfortable win, but to say Bangladesh is better is somewhat ludicrous.

Nishant

International 12th Man
Dunno if bangladesh would give WI a run for their money TBH...i mean the WI might be bad at fielding and stuff...but they are quite fast...they have youth whereas the bangladeshi team has a few old veterans like rafique. All WI have to do is pass the money to Bravo...he'll run really fast and wont be caught up by any bangladeshi IMHO!

:ph34r:

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Dunno if bangladesh would give WI a run for their money TBH...i mean the WI might be bad at fielding and stuff...but they are quite fast...they have youth whereas the bangladeshi team has a few old veterans like rafique. All WI have to do is pass the money to Bravo...he'll run really fast and wont be caught up by any bangladeshi IMHO!
Haha, wth :laugh: .

sideshowtim

Banned
I don't see why they couldn't. Especially on the spin-friendly Bangladeshi wickets. The Windies batting and bowling is pretty dire at the moment. All it would take is a special hundred from a Bangladeshi batsman.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Definitely no if the West Indies select the best players available to them. Chanderpaul, Sarwan, Gayle and Samuels would make plenty and Taylor, Collymore, Lawson, Collins, Bravo, Mohammed, Powell, Edwards and/or Sammy would get them out for alow enough total. The WI team in England isn't the best available at all. Certainly the bowling would improve and Sarwan and Samuels would definitely strengthen the batting.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
At home, I'd be backing Bangladesh, actually. The way the West Indies batsmen have played Panesar in this series - I'm sure they'd have equal if not greater troubles against an attack consisting of about 8 left arm spinners on a turning pitch in Bangladesh. Edwards would probably take a few if he can bowl straight - but other than that, I'd be happy to back Bangladesh in a close one really.

At home though, the West Indies would still win pretty comfortably - and they are still quite obviously the better team overall.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In Bangladesh - Bangladesh
In West Indies - West Indies

Like Prince EWS mentioned, I think the amount of left armers would probably be too much for the West Indies to handle and I can't see the West Indies bowlers (Edwards excepted) causing too many troubles on the dead tracks of Bangladesh. If it was anywhere else then I'd back the West Indies quite comfortably.

Craig

World Traveller
Well what if it is ODIs? They (Bangladesh) would half a chance IMO when you consider when you they added India and South Africa to their scalps list in the WC and that has to count for something IMO. I know India are 100% crap (alright that maybe was a bit OTT) but still on paper they are both better then Bangladesh, however it shows cricket isn't played on paper.

And I disagree with Goughy's last sentence. In Tests they have only been playing them for seven years and how many teams were any better (their first seven or so years) in that time in all honesty?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And I disagree with Goughy's last sentence. In Tests they have only been playing them for seven years and how many teams were any better (their first seven or so years) in that time in all honesty?
India, West Indies, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Zimbabwe.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
At home, I'd be backing Bangladesh, actually. The way the West Indies batsmen have played Panesar in this series - I'm sure they'd have equal if not greater troubles against an attack consisting of about 8 left arm spinners on a turning pitch in Bangladesh. Edwards would probably take a few if he can bowl straight - but other than that, I'd be happy to back Bangladesh in a close one really.

At home though, the West Indies would still win pretty comfortably - and they are still quite obviously the better team overall.
In Bangladesh - Bangladesh
In West Indies - West Indies

Like Prince EWS mentioned, I think the amount of left armers would probably be too much for the West Indies to handle and I can't see the West Indies bowlers (Edwards excepted) causing too many troubles on the dead tracks of Bangladesh. If it was anywhere else then I'd back the West Indies quite comfortably.
It'd depend greatly on whether the tracks were turners or slow ****heaps. On slow ****heaps, I'd reckon plenty of the WI batsmen would have no trouble at all against the Enamul Haque jnrs et al.

On turners, they might be onto something, but if WI picked Mohammed (which they surely would in the subcontinent) they might be able to strike back.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It'd depend greatly on whether the tracks were turners or slow ****heaps. On slow ****heaps, I'd reckon plenty of the WI batsmen would have no trouble at all against the Enamul Haque jnrs et al.

On turners, they might be onto something, but if WI picked Mohammed (which they surely would in the subcontinent) they might be able to strike back.
I think Bangladesh would play Mohammed a lot better on turners than the West Indies would play Rafique or Haque really.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think Bangladesh would play Mohammed a lot better on turners than the West Indies would play Rafique or Haque really.
Why? Do they have a load of batsmen who've demonstrated expertise against wristspin?

I mean, I know they haven't faced Murali for a while and I know Mohammed's not as good as him, but still?