• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Would Bangladesh give the Windies a run for their money?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Why? Do they have a load of batsmen who've demonstrated expertise against wristspin?

I mean, I know they haven't faced Murali for a while and I know Mohammed's not as good as him, but still?
You don't need to demonstrate expertise to be better than the current West Indies batting lineup against spin though!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But Mohammed has the potential, IMO, to be a better spinner than Haque jnr and the like.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
But Mohammed has the potential, IMO, to be a better spinner than Haque jnr and the like.
He has the potential, yes, but at this point in time I don't think he is a better spinner than Rafique, Haque Jnr or Razzaq.

Craig

World Traveller
I think they were. They had 6 or 7 fine players, Bangladesh have 3 or 4.

Nothing. What's optimism got to do with this?
:)
Going off what Goughy said that Bangladesh have nothing going for them except well wishers and optimists, which reading it read like was being implyed is a bad thing.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Firstly, that's debatable, and secondly, I'd back Habibul, Rajin and even Saqibul from the little I've seen on him to be better players of spin than what the West Indies have served up recently. That, again, though, is debatable. However only debatable in the sense that differing opinions will exist on it - as you really can't prove it either way. This one of those topics IMO where one gives an opinion and moves on given the hypothetical and reasonably close nature of it. I don't think it can be truly debated as the fundemental unprovable basic facts are what would be at the core of the debate - and arguing such normally just ends up... well, see any thread that both you and tec have posted in...

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
This argument about the WI not playing spin well is kinda faulty. Sarwan, Chanderpaul, Ramdin, Bravo and Ganga if he bats long enough are all capable against spin bowling.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If anyone seriously thinks Bangladesh would have been capable of fighting back from the position WI were in an hour or so before Close yesterday they're outta their mind.

As long as we still win tomorrow, I'll be pleased it happened. :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Going off what Goughy said that Bangladesh have nothing going for them except well wishers and optimists, which reading it read like was being implyed is a bad thing.
Well... it is bad. Bangladesh are bad right now, no two ways about it.

They will probably get better sometime (when we wait to see - could have already happened, could be another 10 years) but right now what Kev said is true - they have not-much going for them except well-wishers (plenty on this forum) and optimists (not one or two on this forum).

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, thats not a bad thing. What I meant was that they have a lot of people that wish them well and like to see them do well and like to put a rosy spin on events but have virtually zero players of any calibre.

*cue list of below average Test players*

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So they damn well should be...against this standard of bowling. I will be laughing so hard if the Windies manage to pull this of.
Why'll you be laughing? :huh: I certainly won't be smiling AT ALL if they manage to chase the total down, but I will if they don't.

The bowling's been crap, yeah, but it was pretty crap at Headingley too. OK, they were a man down and Chanderpaul was missing, but still... it was an awful show by several who've played here and done much better.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Why'll you be laughing? :huh: I certainly won't be smiling AT ALL if they manage to chase the total down, but I will if they don't.
Because I ain't an English fan and because of how poor the Windies have been for the majority of this test match. For them to be in with a chance of winning makes me laugh.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Because I ain't an English fan and because of how poor the Windies have been for the majority of this test match. For them to be in with a chance of winning makes me laugh.
Why you not an English fan? :(

And you've always seemed to be in the past. :huh: