• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will Trescothick open for England in the India tour?

Will tresco ever open for England again?

• Yes

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cameron-Moss

U19 12th Man
I've seen tresco play once or twice, in the Friends Provident Trophy, he scored a two 50s when I saw him. I think those mental illnesses have gone away and he should be opening in no time. He is a qaulity open and a brilliant slip fielder.

Remember

Tresco, ever boundary helps.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He'll definately open for England again, whether it is against the Indians remains to be seen.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I've seen tresco play once or twice, in the Friends Provident Trophy, he scored a two 50s when I saw him. I think those mental illnesses have gone away and he should be opening in no time. He is a qaulity open and a brilliant slip fielder.

Remember

Tresco, ever boundary helps.
This is quite simply brilliant :)

And I think he will be recalled for Strauss

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think he'll be in the ODI side - simply because he's so vital to it. I don't think he'll be in the test team for the India series though - at least not the start of it.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I think he'll be in the ODI side - simply because he's so vital to it. I don't think he'll be in the test team for the India series though - at least not the start of it.
Hmmm, I reckon that once he's picked, he'll stay picked (unless he gets injured or plays atrociously) ie if he plays in the ODIs against the windies I reckon we can expect to see him in for Strauss against India.

I wouldn't mind if he just eased back in with ODIs for the time being though, that's where we've missed him most. Then again, his record V Aus may not be great, but I do feel we missed him in the Ashes as well.

We'll see.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Strauss has to go soon, whether it'll be next Test remains to be seen.

And Trescothick is the only obvious candidate.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Strauss has to go soon, whether it'll be next Test remains to be seen.

And Trescothick is the only obvious candidate.
Some reports I've read indicate that it will be Flintoff who takes his place when he is fit, which would give Strauss a fair few innings to get it right, Not excited by the idea of Vaughan opening though, though he might as well be opening at the moment. Also, love Bell at 6 and don't want him to bat anywhere else

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Some reports I've read indicate that it will be Flintoff who takes his place when he is fit, which would give Strauss a fair few innings to get it right, Not excited by the idea of Vaughan opening though, though he might as well be opening at the moment. Also, love Bell at 6 and don't want him to bat anywhere else
Agree on both counts - always hated Vaughan opening (and Bell, for that matter, though thankfully he's only done it in one Test) and Bell surely has to stay at six now.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The other option to Tres that I've seen mooted (by Mike Selvey in the Guardian IIRC) is Bopara coming in with Vaughan opening. Presumably Bell would push up to 3 for the captain.

Strauss looks in rank bad touch just now tho, so must be living on borrowed time.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The other option to Tres that I've seen mooted (by Mike Selvey in the Guardian IIRC) is Bopara coming in with Vaughan opening. Presumably Bell would push up to 3 for the captain.
As said, though, Vaughan opening and Bell at three are both terrible ideas. Not sure why Bopara deserves to come in ahead of Shah, either.

Perm

As said, though, Vaughan opening and Bell at three are both terrible ideas. Not sure why Bopara deserves to come in ahead of Shah, either.
The idea has merit because Bopara is in good touch, I'm not sure how well Owais Shah is going but Bopara has been churning out the runs for Essex. Of course I would have Shah in my side at #3 before I brought Bopara in at #6.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Shah's been churning-out the runs for years, Bopara for a couple of months.

And Shah has an excellent Test debut to his credit. If Bopara usurped him right now it'd be almost as bad as Katich losing-out to Symonds in 2003\04.

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
shah has only made 1 hundred and 1 fifty in 9 first class innings this season, hasn't done much of note in the longer form since the first test at lords. billy godleman has been middlesex most impressive batsman this season, outshining both shah and joyce.

Perm

Shah's been churning-out the runs for years, Bopara for a couple of months.

And Shah has an excellent Test debut to his credit. If Bopara usurped him right now it'd be almost as bad as Katich losing-out to Symonds in 2003\04.
I realise that Shah has been the better player over the course of his career, I'm just mentioning that he isn't in particularly good form at the moment, while Bopara has been in the runs recently, thus lending some merit to the idea that Bopara could get a Test cap.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Obviously Shah has had a much better career thus far, but from the limited opportunities I've had to see both players in question, Bopara looks the better player. Looks aren't everything though, obviously.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
shah has only made 1 hundred and 1 fifty in 9 first class innings this season, hasn't done much of note in the longer form since the first test at lords. billy godleman has been middlesex most impressive batsman this season, outshining both shah and joyce.
Eeek, haven't been keeping my eye on the ball as much as I should be this season. Didn't realise he'd been so poor of late. :(

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Obviously Shah has had a much better career thus far, but from the limited opportunities I've had to see both players in question, Bopara looks the better player. Looks aren't everything though, obviously.
Bopara's calmness in the few ODIs he's played so far has been little short of extraordinary. But Shah has a much, much wider range of shots and in the last 4 or 5 years has been good at using them.