• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ECB announce NZ 2008 tour

Flem274*

123/5
Don't worry, I will now ;)
You tell em Fiery. Our batting has lots of competition for places and their bowling isn't that great. Harmison and Plunkett don't particularly frighten me. Our bowling is a bit iffy if we don't have the first XI on the park and their batting is pretty good.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I dunno Flem. I can't think of a much more difficult test for a batsman than facing two fairly quick bowlers who can't hit the cut strip more than 3 or 4 times an over, but bowl a delicious pearler once every 3 or 4 overs. You just can't get your eye in against such erratic bowlers, and when they get that pearler to come down, you aren't gonna be able to do much about it.

One thing we will need to challenge the Brits is for someone to perform the Mark Richardson role - he did brilliantly on the last tour to the UK, and there's no player in the current squad capable of frustrating bowling attacks to expertly.

Flem274*

123/5
I dunno Flem. I can't think of a much more difficult test for a batsman than facing two fairly quick bowlers who can't hit the cut strip more than 3 or 4 times an over, but bowl a delicious pearler once every 3 or 4 overs. You just can't get your eye in against such erratic bowlers, and when they get that pearler to come down, you aren't gonna be able to do much about it.

One thing we will need to challenge the Brits is for someone to perform the Mark Richardson role - he did brilliantly on the last tour to the UK, and there's no player in the current squad capable of frustrating bowling attacks to expertly.
Sounds like your bowling Heath.:)

I can fustrate bowlers, I got dropped 4 times in one over once. I'm no Richardson though.

Fiery

Banned
You did base your whole career on this notion after all :p

HeathDavisSpeed

I can fustrate bowlers, I got dropped 4 times in one over once. I'm no Richardson though.
Haha. Reminds me of a club match where I kept giving this medium pacer catching practise for caught & bowleds... He dropped me five or six times. Classic. I detonated his stumps later on... I doubt he was too impressed!!

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I don't see us winning a test either. Tests are often decided on one session and it always seems to be our side who don't grab the initiative. Maybe that's my glass half-empty approach to NZ cricket though.

Perm

I doubt New Zealand will be able to win a Test, England's batting lineup looks too strong and I can see our batting really crumbling against some decent bowlers (Hoggard, Flintoff, Panesar). Bond is about the only one who fills me with any enthusiasm and it wouldn't surprise me if he was injured.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Haha, you Kiwis are really starving for test cricket, this series is still a year off but there are already 54 posts in this thread.

Craig

World Traveller
Haha, you Kiwis are really starving for test cricket, this series is still a year off but there are already 54 posts in this thread.
TBH this feels like something completely different. Now a four Test series would be in uncharted waters and a five Test series, well...(New Zealand has played one for about 36/37 years :dry: :-O :mellow: )