• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Possibility of shorter 2011 WC

Nishant

International 12th Man
it would b a good move IMO....the longer WC we witnessed this year was getting quite dire. But...it wasnt just cos of the length of the WC...as we all know!

But..i guess a shorter WC would make the tournamnet a bit more exciting, by reducing the no. of 'not important' games.

pasag

RTDAS
Meh, if there would have been more competition and quality of cricket, the length of the WI WC wouldn't have made a difference. If anything it would have been perfect.

pasag

RTDAS
14s with two groups of 7? Unless there is another obvious way that I'm missing...
10 or 12 sides with as little minnows as possible. Perhaps there could be a qualifying for one or two minnow spots but to be frank, and I've been over this quite abit, these teams shouldn't be there. Don't mind seeing them at the CT though.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
They're reducing the duration, not necessarily the amount of matches.

Could be done by organising four minnow matches in a day, for example. That could cut the group stage down to one week.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
TBH, I'll beleive it when I see it, but there is no reason why they can't play four matches on the same day. They did in the 1975 and 79 WCs and they lasted a fortnight. People might say TV but some TV stations just covered their own countries last time at the start (come on down NZ Sky!).

cover drive man

International Captain
The best way to shorten the Icc cricket world cup is not shortening the length of the tourament or reducing the number of teams the best way to shorten the icc cricket world cup is to get rid of the super eights and introduce the quater finals. If you reduce the number of teams you will stop less skilled nations from gaining experience against better teams. Shortening how long the tourament goes on for will not make much of a difference to the quality of cricket which is played in the world cup tourament. But if you introduce quater finals it will reduce the number of matches and could give more quality cricket. The quality of cricket in the super eights last world cup wasnt superb this could be improved by shortening the amount played and keeping players from burning out for the tourament. Also the less advanced teams will be given more of a chance rather than facing every team and having virtually no chance.