• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st Epi - Best Betters

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hmm, so is this based upon current form or career stats?
Current form and career stats if the first post is to be beleived. I also noticed that most people were using current players but still including the likes of Lara in there.

adharcric

International Coach
Just realized that my list is nearly identical to Perm's.
Perm said:
8. Best right handed opening batsman? AB de Villiers/Mohammad Hafeez
Overall, Sehwag by miles. Currently, Jaffer over anyone else. Says a lot about the quality of opening batsmen today ...
Perm said:
10. Best left handed wicket keeper batsman? Adam Gilchrist
11. Best right handed wicket keeper batsman? Kumar Sangakarra
12. Best wicket keeper batsman? Adam Gilchrist
Looking at DeV/Hafeez over Sehwag, you seem to be going on current form. Sangakarra > Gilchrist in that case, easily. By the way, Sanga is left-handed so Dhoni takes that one.
Perm said:
13. Best player of pace? Inzamam-ul-Haq
Tough one. Dravid, Kallis, Ponting, ... looking back, Tendulkar is in there as well.
Perm said:
14. Best player of spin? Kevin Pietersen
Yet another tough one. Several subcontinental batsmen in contention and a few Aussies as well, if you don't go merely by current form. Pietersen deserves it though.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
My list is actually identical to four_or_six's test list, apart from the two questions I chose not to answer.

EDIT: And my Hussey > Hayden judgement.

Last edited:

Perm

Just realized that my list is nearly identical to Perm's.
Great minds think alike ;)

Overall, Sehwag by miles. Currently, Jaffer over anyone else. Says a lot about the quality of opening batsmen today ...
Overall definately, but I was putting more stock into current form and that is why he has missed out. I must say I forgot about Jaffer, but he has a pretty good case with an average of 42 in his last 10 matches.

Looking at DeV/Hafeez over Sehwag, you seem to be going on current form. Sangakarra > Gilchrist in that case, easily. By the way, Sangakarra is left-handed so Dhoni takes that one.
I knew I'd make at least one mistake regarding left/right handed. I'd like to put forward Brendon McCullum actually, his ODI form recently (CB series-World Cup) has been phenomenal.

Tough one. Dravid, Kallis, Ponting, ... looking back, Tendulkar is in there as well.
For me this one is no contest, Inzamam has been the best player of pace I have seen. Ponting may have that prodigous pull-shot but Inzamam looks so much more comfortable at the crease and looks as though he has more time.

Yet another tough one. Several subcontinental batsmen in contention and a few Aussies as well, if you don't go merely by current form. Pietersen deserves it though.
None of the Aussies are that good IMO, Hayden is probably the best but Clarke wouldn't be too far behind him. Mohammad Yousuf is a pretty good player of spin but I haven't seen too many of the other subcontinental players dominate the slow bowlers like Pietersen has.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
None of the Aussies are that good IMO, Hayden is probably the best but Clarke wouldn't be too far behind him. Mohammad Yousuf is a pretty good player of spin but I haven't seen too many of the other subcontinental players dominate the slow bowlers like Pietersen has.
Can't believe you've overlooked Fleming's skill against spin.

Perm

Can't believe you've overlooked Fleming's skill against spin.
I've never seen Fleming at his best against spin, I've only heard and read about his mighty deeds. I've seen him struggle against Muralitharan, whom apparantly he has dominated in the past.