• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who will win the ODI Series between England and WI

Who will win the ODI Series

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Cook played a couple of ODIs last summer (in the SL series) when I thought there was nothing to gain by him doing so, as a) it was pretty predictable that he was going to end-up doing what he did and I hate seeing players just play a couple of games then go straight out again and b) he wasn't proven as much of a OD player at the time. Now, though, he looks like he's cracked that form of the game and hopefully he can make a success of being part of the ODI side.

Piper

International Captain
Cook played a couple of ODIs last summer (in the SL series) when I thought there was nothing to gain by him doing so, as a) it was pretty predictable that he was going to end-up doing what he did and I hate seeing players just play a couple of games then go straight out again and b) he wasn't proven as much of a OD player at the time. Now, though, he looks like he's cracked that form of the game and hopefully he can make a success of being part of the ODI side.
Oh, I thought you meant in Test Matches.. But I agree with the ODI's though. I hope he does well, and becomes a regular.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, no! :laugh: Once first Trescothick then Vaughan were unavailable, Cook had to play in the Tests in India and last summer.

Piper

International Captain
Haha, no! :laugh: Once first Trescothick then Vaughan were unavailable, Cook had to play in the Tests in India and last summer.
Cook should have played even if Vaughan was available. Has showed form over the past few years unlike Vaughan. I think he has cemented his place in the side now. :D

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hmm...

I'm certainly not convinced that, had Trescothick and Vaughan both been available for the First Test against Sri Lanka, Cook would or should have played.

Thing is, of course, we always knew Vaughan would be out of it by the time Cook made his debut.

But I reckon if everyone had been fit at the start of that summer (other than Giles who had an incredibly long-term problem) I'd have gone...
Trescothick
Strauss
Vaughan
Collingwood
Pietersen
Flintoff
G Jones
Hoggard
Harmison
S Jones
MSP
Which, amazingly enough, had just 2 changes from the side of the first 4 Ashes Tests... :happy:

Sadly, Vaughan, S Jones and Harmison were not available. :@

Piper

International Captain
Hmm...

I'm certainly not convinced that, had Trescothick and Vaughan both been available for the First Test against Sri Lanka, Cook would or should have played.

Thing is, of course, we always knew Vaughan would be out of it by the time Cook made his debut.

But I reckon if everyone had been fit at the start of that summer (other than Giles who had an incredibly long-term problem) I'd have gone...
Trescothick
Strauss
Vaughan
Collingwood
Pietersen
Flintoff
G Jones
Hoggard
Harmison
S Jones
MSP
Which, amazingly enough, had just 2 changes from the side of the first 4 Ashes Tests... :happy:

Sadly, Vaughan, S Jones and Harmison were not available. :@
I'm not saying I wouldn't have playd Tres.. I wouldnt have played Vaughan.. He's only playing now coz of his captaincy..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:dry: Vaughan deserved a place when he lost it with injury, so in my mind he still deserved it at the start of summer 2006.

Piper

International Captain
:dry: Vaughan deserved a place when he lost it with injury, so in my mind he still deserved it at the start of summer 2006.
Lol, I love teasing with Vaughan :D
He hasn't played well for a while. He has an occasional good innings but that's it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
True. But quite a bit of that while was when he didn't play - and if you don't play, you can't play well.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He was fine in 2004 (averaged 46), did pretty reasonably in South Africa, and was poor in 2005 and the 1 game he played in 2005\06.

I was not yet discontented with him.

Piper

International Captain
He was fine in 2004 (averaged 46), did pretty reasonably in South Africa, and was poor in 2005 and the 1 game he played in 2005\06.

I was not yet discontented with him.
Hmmmmm okay.. Let's agree to disagree? Well for tonight anyway, too tired to argue lol..
When do the ODI's with WI start?