• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who will win the ODI Series between England and WI

Who will win the ODI Series

• Total voters

sideshowtim

Banned
You would suggest it tells the best story, especially considering when they played it at home. And now that they're without Lara and Sarwan...with Gayle in relatively average form...I'm sorry but it's looking very much like an England whitewash to me.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Those of simplistic minds might well have said the same thing about Sri Lanka on several occasions last summer.

sideshowtim

Banned
You're comparing a side with the likes of Murali, Jayawardene, Jaysuriya, Sangakkarra and Vaas to the West Indies. Not a good comparison. I put it to you that there isn't a single player in the current West Indies team who holds a candle to any of those players.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jayawardene isn't a very good ODI player (about the class of a Morton or Samuels), Gayle and Jayasuriya are fairly close to being equal, Chanderpaul and Sangakkara aren't a great deal different either, Murali did little in the 3 ODIs he played and Vaas was hardly at his best.

So I'd say that WI turning things around in the ODIs isn't remotely inconceivable. As wasn't SL doing so - for those prepared to consider things sensibly - last summer.

Granted, our side is likely to be a bit better than last summer (can't see Bresnan, for instance, getting anywhere near but there's still several others not much better who might) but it's still not The Ritz or anything close.

Never, ever underestimate England's ability to do poorly in ODIs.

FBU

International Debutant
It depends on what ODI team Moores comes up with.

1. Will he pick a completely new ODI team or make a few changes to the World Cup team?

2. Will he come up with a new strategy?

3. Will he keep Vaughan in the team?

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jayawardene isn't a very good ODI player (about the class of a Morton or Samuels), Gayle and Jayasuriya are fairly close to being equal, Chanderpaul and Sangakkara aren't a great deal different either, Murali did little in the 3 ODIs he played and Vaas was hardly at his best.
Chanderpaul and Sangakarra are better ODI players than Jayawardene IMO.

Cameron-Moss

U19 12th Man
as i've seen from the west indies in the world cup, they didn't look amazing at bat, even with lara. i don't really know who can make such an impact now.
and, well... odis at the end of a tour will find them consumed - who knows?
only if england will relax thinking at the battle with india, otherwise i just don't see them losing.
(unless they repeat that legendary hour of today - unlikely though).
Chanderpaul could make big impact to what I've seen of him today.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He's certainly perfectly respectible down the order, too. And with no Lara I think that'd now be the best place for him, and if Ganga's gonna play as captain he has to open.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He's certainly perfectly respectible down the order, too. And with no Lara I think that'd now be the best place for him, and if Ganga's gonna play as captain he has to open.
Well it certainly looks like Ganga will lead the side so it will be him and Gayle opening with Chanderpaul coming in down the order slightly as you suggested, I still think that opening is the best place for him but unfortunately that wouldn't work given the current team situation.

Piper

International Captain
I think England will win. I know their one day game isn't all that great, but I think they will beat WI. I think they should play Cook too. He made a century for Essex a week ago while all the other England players didn't make 50.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well it certainly looks like Ganga will lead the side so it will be him and Gayle opening with Chanderpaul coming in down the order slightly as you suggested, I still think that opening is the best place for him but unfortunately that wouldn't work given the current team situation.
Perhaps surprisingly, Chanderpaul actually prefers batting in the middle.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think England will win. I know their one day game isn't all that great, but I think they will beat WI. I think they should play Cook too. He made a century for Essex a week ago while all the other England players didn't make 50.
Can't see Cook not being picked in the ODIs this upcoming series, and it's probably about the right time too (should never have been playing last summer). Hopefully we've seen the last of Strauss and Vaughan in ODIs but I won't hold my breath.

Piper

International Captain
Can't see Cook not being picked in the ODIs this upcoming series, and it's probably about the right time too (should never have been playing last summer). Hopefully we've seen the last of Strauss and Vaughan in ODIs but I won't hold my breath.
What do you mean he shouldnt have been playing last summer?
Vaughan will probably still be picked, though I think it will be wrong if he is.