• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aussie - not Aussie

atisha_ro

U19 12th Man
to all the supposed "race conspiration theories" - Windian bowlers are black :D
funny when I go to see some video of Indian or Pakistani players on youtube and in 90% of cases there is a bash between posters.
way too hot down the Himalayas really.

Flem274*

123/5
I love threads like this. I can let loose and have some fun.

I rang up Lindsay Crocker earlier and told him that when Stephen Fleming bowls, he chucks. He should be banned from cricket IMMEDIATELY. ****ing chucker. If he was from Azerbaijan he would have been BANNED by now. Bastarding chucker. Lindsay told me to **** off.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

On the subject of this chucking crap, Gary Bartlett wasn't asian and he got called. There are others that more knowledgeble members than me have mentioned too.

Waiting for Fiery to see this thread and rip into Murali, this guy will get his flame war then...

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Waiting for Fiery to see this thread and rip into Murali, this guy will get his flame war then...
Whilst I know Fiery thinks that Muralitharan is a chucker, he has never (in my memory) attempted to start a flame war or get into a long argument about it, generally he just states his opinion and then doesn't try and get into that argument too much because he knows what the repercussions will be like.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
If Murali was an Aussie bowler, he wouldn't have made it to first class level. He would have been labelled a chucker, rightly or wrongly, and either been forced to change his action or simply not been selected in any serious competition. And thus is the reason for it being extremely rare for Australian bowlers to be called for chucking - anything that resembles such is quickly weeded out at lower levels due to culture against it in all levels of Australian cricket.
I don't want to get involved in this arguement but seriously. How did Aaron Bird get through so called system/culture and Brett Lee (to a lesser extent). Bird had his action fixed or attempted to be fixed a million times and he hasn't improved and he still gets a NSW contract.

HeathDavisSpeed

Will fall on deaf ears, TBH.
Of course you're English and therefore you could actually pitch the shiny-red like a baseball pitcher and you wouldn't be called for chucking.

Its just like the days of the Raj. Maybe the colonies could challenge the evil Empire builders to a game and knock you down a peg or two? We could call it the 'Super Series' of some other '***y' name and all have great fun!

Oh, wait... it isn't the 1800s? The game's actually run by the ICC? Jeez. I should keep up with the latest news. I'll tune my wireless into Radio Luxembourg and catch up with current affairs.

HeathDavisSpeed

Don't worry Richard, I'm sure your bowling is more accurate than Heaths....
Hey sonny-jim. You don't want to get old Heathy riled up now. I've said it before, and I'll say it again that I can suddenly turn... and pounce like a possum and scratch your eyes out before you know it. And that's if all you've done is set fireworks off outside my house.

Heath's bowling was the quickest ever seen in New Zealand AND the most accurate (in Petone anyway)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh, wait... it isn't the 1800s? The game's actually run by the ICC? Jeez. I should keep up with the latest news. I'll tune my wireless into Radio Luxembourg and catch up with current affairs.
It's not the 1960s either. :p

(That was the heyday of Radio Luxembourg and Paul Burnett and the like)

Flem274*

123/5
Hey sonny-jim. You don't want to get old Heathy riled up now. I've said it before, and I'll say it again that I can suddenly turn... and pounce like a possum and scratch your eyes out before you know it. And that's if all you've done is set fireworks off outside my house.

Heath's bowling was the quickest ever seen in New Zealand AND the most accurate (in Petone anyway)
Quickest? I thought that went to Gary Bartlett.

Accurate? God help Petone.:laugh:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't want to get involved in this arguement but seriously. How did Aaron Bird get through so called system/culture and Brett Lee (to a lesser extent). Bird had his action fixed or attempted to be fixed a million times and he hasn't improved and he still gets a NSW contract.
Obviously there are expections. Bird don't appear to the naked up to bend their arm as much as Murali does in any rate. Obviously tests have proven Murali to be not even close to as bad in this regard as he appears, but given the unorthodox nature of his action and the culture against chucking in Australia, I have little doubt that he would have amounted to nil had he been Australian. We're just lucky he wasn't though, in that regard.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Obviously there are expections. Bird don't appear to the naked up to bend their arm as much as Murali does in any rate. Obviously tests have proven Murali to be not even close to as bad in this regard as he appears, but given the unorthodox nature of his action and the culture against chucking in Australia, I have little doubt that he would have amounted to nil had he been Australian. We're just lucky he wasn't though, in that regard.
The think is that his not the only expection though. I've plenty of bowlers around Grade and Shire level in NSW with poor action. If like Bird and they were able to bowl 140km/h (there and there abouts) they would have slipped through the net and played FC cricket like Bird. Really the same would have applied to Murali any bowler who can spin the bowl as much as him would have progressed to FC level and maybe only then get pulled up like Bird has. This whole notion that there is this so called cuture against chucking is just a that a notion.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The think is that his not the only expection though. I've plenty of bowlers around Grade and Shire level in NSW with poor action. If like Bird and they were able to bowl 140km/h (there and there abouts) they would have slipped through the net and played FC cricket like Bird. Really the same would have applied to Murali any bowler who can spin the bowl as much as him would have progressed to FC level and maybe only then get pulled up like Bird has. This whole notion that there is this so called cuture against chucking is just a that a notion.
Well, I disagree, really. The fact that Bird's action has been so rigorously worked upon is tantamount IMO - I highly doubt Murali would have received the same treatment in Sri Lanka. Furthermore, if Bird was actually any good, I highly doubt the Australian selectors would pick him - yet the Sri Lankan selectors had no trouble picking Murali.

As I said, we're just lucky that's the case.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Well, I disagree, really. The fact that Bird's action has been so rigorously worked upon is tantamount IMO - I highly doubt Murali would have received the same treatment in Sri Lanka. Furthermore, if Bird was actually any good, I highly doubt the Australian selectors would pick him - yet the Sri Lankan selectors had no trouble picking Murali.

As I said, we're just lucky that's the case.
A clear sign of lack of knowleage about Sri Lanka cricket. When Murali first got pulled up they work over time on his action when he was out of the national team for about six months. When he got cleared by the lab tests, they stopped working on him as they felt there was no need to anymore.

Both Ruchira Perera and Suresh Perera got dropped from FC cricket to work on their action. Suresh Perera spent 18 months out of FC cricket to try and fix up his action. Clearly like Bird there just some players you can't fix.

If Bird was performing the NSW selectors would still pick him and not even work on his action outside FC cricket. You should look at the bigger picture before just saying or Murali keeps getting selected for the national team and Sri Lankan cricket don't care if their bowlers chuck or have poor action. There has been a fair bit of effort put into stopping the trend of bowlers with poor actions, but for a lot of bowlers there is only so much you can do.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
When Murali first got pulled up they work over time on his action when he was out of the national team for about six months.
Yes, that was when he first got pulled up. No when he was selected. I don't believe Bird would get selected for Australia regardless of how well he performed in first class cricket. And if he actually did anything of note in first class cricket, someone would make enough noise to get him thrown out of it. As it is with him only playing about one game every season and being rubbish anyway, no-one really cares if he chucks or not so he can get away with it.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Your intial point however was that Murali wouldn't get picked for 1st Class cricket. Which considering Bird has, i find it highly unlikey that anyone who could spin the bowl as much as Murali wouldn't walk in any Australia first class side regardless of his action. Yeah maybe once he got to 1st Class cricket he wouldn't get any futher, but thats questionable.

Really which ever way you look it Australia has no high ground when it comes to bowler's action. If they offered something another bowler doesn't they would get picked until they got pulled up. Also considering Bird has been to academy a million times, one gets the feeling the selectors do feel his got potential to play for Australia, regardless of his action.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Your intial point however was that Murali wouldn't get picked for 1st Class cricket. Which considering Bird has, i find it highly unlikey that anyone who could spin the bowl as much as Murali wouldn't walk in any Australia first class side regardless of his action.
I still stand by that. As I said, to the naked eye, Murali looks inifnitely worse than Bird. The culture towards something so unorthodox which also appears dodgey and results in significantly different and seemingly massively advantagous effects - I highly doubt he'd have got very far doing what he is doing. Evidently, Murali's action is legal - more power to him. But without the aid of such tests at lower levels, he would have been discouraged from bowling how he does - and if he refused, he probably would have been banned from serious cricket anyway.

Bird looks to chuck to the naked eye, too, but nothing like Murali.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I still stand by that. As I said, to the naked eye, Murali looks inifnitely worse than Bird. The culture towards something so unorthodox which also appears dodgey and results in significantly different and seemingly massively advantagous effects - I highly doubt he'd have got very far doing what he is doing. Evidently, Murali's action is legal - more power to him. But without the aid of such tests at lower levels, he would have been discouraged from bowling how he does - and if he refused, he probably would have been banned from serious cricket anyway.

Bird looks to chuck to the naked eye, too, but nothing like Murali.
A chuck to the naked eye is chuck to naked eye. If Australia were as serious about throwing, Bird would have been banned a long time ago from bowling and playing 2nd grade cricket as batsmen. As would many other bowlers who play lower levels of cricket in Australia with bad actions. If they were as serious about it as you think, it shouldn't make a difference if one player is slightly better then another. Just like Murali he has the potential to add something extra to an attack so they overlook it.