• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Introducing cricket to a new country and audience

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
To pick on that one when there's been so many dire ones over the past while is a bit harsh.
Hmm, I just didn't think it was that apt TBH. Apologies to Pup Clarke if he thought I was picking on him or something.

atisha_ro

U19 12th Man
well he just waits for a good bash in september - the NZ vs. Romania game is anyway last in group and starts very early in the day.
more of an exhibition really.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
they should :)
but i suppose some minds in world cricket administration are just happy with traditional audiences and - say - "money from hard stone" (i.e. from nothing).
They're more concerned about the illusion of globalisation than the reality, it's a regret to say.

atisha_ro

U19 12th Man
i'm having a big time trying to translate cricket terms in Romanian.
we have a much more verbose language, many senses of a word. "wicket" for instance would translate in 4-5 modes/different words or structures :)

Last edited:

andmark

International Captain
I'm from Romania. Discovered cricket during the World Cup and got hooked on it - reading the news every day, watching as much as I can (even today the first two sessions of the Manchester Test)... and as a journalist I thought of getting this wonderful sport on screen here. We have some 5 sports stations - 3 FTA and 2 PPV - and there might be space for it.
Fact is, cricket is almost unknown here (football and handball being the top sports). We have a national bat-ball sport but it failed into oblivion. What would be the steps to make?
I'm keen of commentating the first TV broadcasts of cricket, since i got some knowledge and understanding of the game, but i have to ask what the best approach would be.
The event I consider better suited to kick off the cricketing market in Romania would be the Twenty20 World Championship - short matches, show enough, a good hook point to give a taste of the game to newcomers. And maybe next year the Ashes (sweet dreams).
Of course the first commentaries will have to be done in the studio.
How do you think we can make cricket an option, given that some here spoke about too much "globalisation" of the game"?
And what makes a good commentator in a virgin cricketing country, so to say?

I hope you do well.

atisha_ro

U19 12th Man
what would be a good slogan for cricket making its first step on TV? "Hit and run", or something? (sounds silly)