• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka coaching role

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
http://content-nz.cricinfo.com/srilanka/content/story/297466.html

Looks like it's between Oliver and Bayliss at the moment.

Oliver has only played Club cricket . To me that's a big risk appointing a guy with no First Class Cricketing experience as National coach.

Bayliss on the other hand has played FC Cricket for at least 4 or 5 seasons for NSW.
I seriously think SL will be really going down the wrong path if they appointed Oliver just because he had success in Queensland.

Bayliss to me seems best option .If not I would rather they get Whatmore back .

This selection business is going a bit silly to my liking...:ph34r:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
John Buchanan only played 7 FC matches and 1 List A match, he was mainly a club cricketer like Oliver. His success as a coach clearly shows that you don't need to have a bucklet load of FC matches to make a coach and it makes no difference on your ability as a coach.

I find it funny that you don't want to select someone cus they had success as coach at FC level and rather select someone who had next to no success at FC level, beacause one has played 4-5 years of FC cricket. If thats all it takes to be a good coach, then why don't we did a home based coach who played 4-5 years of Test Cricket.

Its your success as a FC coach that should be your bases for selection not your success as player. Oliver had far greater success as FC coach and that should be the only thing that matter, not his playing creditionals. We are picking someone to coach us not to play in the team.

Craig

World Traveller
Agreed, some of the best coaches have been quite dire as a player themselves, I mean to look at football you have Jose Mourinho who never played professionally (although his old man did play for Portugal) and Arsene Wenger only ever played a handful of games in his playing career, look at how successful they have been?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
http://content-nz.cricinfo.com/srilanka/content/story/297466.html

Looks like it's between Oliver and Bayliss at the moment.

Oliver has only played Club cricket . To me that's a big risk appointing a guy with no First Class Cricketing experience as National coach.

Bayliss on the other hand has played FC Cricket for at least 4 or 5 seasons for NSW.
I seriously think SL will be really going down the wrong path if they appointed Oliver just because he had success in Queensland.

Bayliss to me seems best option .If not I would rather they get Whatmore back .

This selection business is going a bit silly to my liking...:ph34r:
John Buchanan only played 7 FC matches and 1 List A match, he was mainly a club cricketer like Oliver. His success as a coach clearly shows that you don't need to have a bucklet load of FC matches to make a coach and it makes no difference on your ability as a coach.

I find it funny that you don't want to select someone cus they had success as coach at FC level and rather select someone who had next to no success at FC level, beacause one has played 4-5 years of FC cricket. If thats all it takes to be a good coach, then why don't we did a home based coach who played 4-5 years of Test Cricket.

Its your success as a FC coach that should be your bases for selection not your success as player. Oliver had far greater success as FC coach and that should be the only thing that matter, not his playing creditionals. We are picking someone to coach us not to play in the team.
Always thought Bayliss was well-regarded as a coach as well as Oliver, if not quite as successful?

pasag

RTDAS
Been impressed with the way SL have approached and handled finding a new coach, very smart and professional although this announcement came alot quicker than I thought it would, but as the secretary or whoever said, they didn't want to lose their man to the competition, so fair enough.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bayliss gets the job then, be interesting to see how he deals with some of the players and if he is willing to find some new blood. I agree with pasag's comments about how professionally Sri Lanka have looked in finding this coach, been much better than the Indian debacle, that's for sure.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Should be interesting i hear TB is going to stay in Australia and just go overseas when we have matches/training camps on. Would rather someone who is going to move their full time, but not many see it as a realistic options due to their family.