• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ODI Status

straightbat

Cricket Spectator
How do the games between Africa and Asia have ODI status? It is getting a farce when any game is given staus.

sohummisra

U19 Debutant
How do the games between Africa and Asia have ODI status? It is getting a farce when any game is given staus.
The ICC opened up a can of worms when they gave the Super Series matches official ODI and Test status. Since then, any "All-Star competition" organizer can ask for official status based on those matches alone.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well to be fair these games do fit the criteria of One-Day International so it's perfectly acceptable for them to be given ODI status, even though the games and idea behind them is stupid.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
:blink: Nah. It was a poor standard of players and poor quality of cricket.
I agree. The Morkel brothers aren't really in the frame for the SA ODI team at the moment and yet they make the Africa side, with one of them making his ODI debut!

I don't see how players who aren't currently ODI quality for their own country can play an ODI for an "all-star" team comprised of players from multiple countries.

sohummisra

U19 Debutant
I don't see how players who aren't currently ODI quality for their own country can play an ODI for an "all-star" team comprised of players from multiple countries.
It's because the players who are ODI quality would rather represent their county than their continent.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Its all irrelevant now ever since the Asia vs. ROW Tsunami match, and Super Series matches were given official ODI (and even test) status.

The precedent has been set.

sohummisra

U19 Debutant
Its all irrelevant now ever since the Asia vs. ROW Tsunami match, and Super Series matches were given official ODI (and even test) status.

To be honest, what does it matter whether a match has official ODI status or not? The only people it should matter to is statisticians and stat-whores, which basically causes a bit of a headache to them. Apart from that, I don't think ODI status has any meaning for the cricket fan, really.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's far, far more appropriate for these games to be classed ODIs than it is for Aus-vs-ROW and, worse still, those Tsunami Relief charity games to have been.

Still not in favour unless serious sides take the thing seriously, though, and the games are of no interest to me so I've not taken any notice of whether or not they have.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
To be honest, what does it matter whether a match has official ODI status or not? The only people it should matter to is statisticians and stat-whores, which basically causes a bit of a headache to them. Apart from that, I don't think ODI status has any meaning for the cricket fan, really.
Given that stats are extremely important in cricket, games being given ODI status or not is extremely important.

sohummisra

U19 Debutant
Given that stats are extremely important in cricket, games being given ODI status or not is extremely important.
Stats are only as important as we wish them to be. Especially if you're Indian, because statistics are the only thing that is keeping Sachin Tendulkar at the top of the current batsmen in the world.

I think if the cricket played is at high quality and between high quality players, it doesn't matter to me, the viewer, if the match is an ODI or not. And in the off-chance that a record does get broken in such a series, there will always be a footnote suggesting the circumstances of the record.

For example, everyone remembers the Australia-South Africa ODI game where the 400-run barrier was finally broken. Far fewer people remember the Sri Lanka-Netherlands game, where Lankans took the record (probably because there was NO TV coverage). But fans of the game will always think of South Africa's achievement as being better than Lanka's, and I think that is where we use our brains to determine the intersection between the statistics and the cricket.

BoyBrumby

Englishman

TBF the precedent has been set before & then subsequently recanted. The "test" series we played against the Rest of the World in 1970 to replace the cancelled SA series were originally deemed to be official tests and then expunged.

In fact it cost Alan Jones his test player status as his only appearance for England was in the first "test" of the series.

I'm not a fan of them having official status myself as I think they devalue the currency.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
They were only defined as Tests by the TCCB. Once I$C$C got involved, that changed.

Then, as you say, it changed again. 8-)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Stats are only as important as we wish them to be. Especially if you're Indian, because statistics are the only thing that is keeping Sachin Tendulkar at the top of the current batsmen in the world.
Not really, his stats (against Test-class teams) of the last 4 years have been distinctly average.
I think if the cricket played is at high quality and between high quality players, it doesn't matter to me, the viewer, if the match is an ODI or not.
Why even bother having the classification at all, then? Simple. Because it matters from a statistical POV. Most cricket followers love stats, and you need a status feudal system (ODI, List-A-limited-overs, and I'd have a third one - List-B-limited-overs) to generate that.

Once you have that, it's best to have it as accurate as possible. Classifying Bangladesh vs Sri Lanka as the same as South Africa vs Pakistan is ludicrous.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Cricket fans = stat-whores in my experience. Especially @ CW

sideshowtim

Banned
International cricket should be between 2 countries. It's that simple. Any time a World or Continental XI is involved, it should be given List A or first-class status.