Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ODI Status

Cricket Spectator

ODI Status

How do the games between Africa and Asia have ODI status? It is getting a farce when any game is given staus.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    ODI games themselves are a farce . But point is taken, and they've always had ODI status.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

U19 Debutant
    Well it probably is of a higher standard than a normal ODI, I don't see the problem.

The intensity level looked good so I have no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by straightbat View Post
    How do the games between Africa and Asia have ODI status? It is getting a farce when any game is given staus.
    The ICC opened up a can of worms when they gave the Super Series matches official ODI and Test status. Since then, any "All-Star competition" organizer can ask for official status based on those matches alone.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Quote Originally Posted by straightbat View Post
    Agreed. Embarassing tournament

Quote Originally Posted by Isura View Post
    Well it probably is of a higher standard than a normal ODI, I don't see the problem.
    Nah. It was a poor standard of players and poor quality of cricket.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Well to be fair these games do fit the criteria of One-Day International so it's perfectly acceptable for them to be given ODI status, even though the games and idea behind them is stupid.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Nah. It was a poor standard of players and poor quality of cricket.
    I agree. The Morkel brothers aren't really in the frame for the SA ODI team at the moment and yet they make the Africa side, with one of them making his ODI debut!

I don't see how players who aren't currently ODI quality for their own country can play an ODI for an "all-star" team comprised of players from multiple countries.

Quote Originally Posted by _Ed_ View Post
    I don't see how players who aren't currently ODI quality for their own country can play an ODI for an "all-star" team comprised of players from multiple countries.
    It's because the players who are ODI quality would rather represent their county than their continent.

Its all irrelevant now ever since the Asia vs. ROW Tsunami match, and Super Series matches were given official ODI (and even test) status.

The precedent has been set.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Its all irrelevant now ever since the Asia vs. ROW Tsunami match, and Super Series matches were given official ODI (and even test) status.

To be honest, what does it matter whether a match has official ODI status or not? The only people it should matter to is statisticians and stat-whores, which basically causes a bit of a headache to them. Apart from that, I don't think ODI status has any meaning for the cricket fan, really.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    It's far, far more appropriate for these games to be classed ODIs than it is for Aus-vs-ROW and, worse still, those Tsunami Relief charity games to have been.

Still not in favour unless serious sides take the thing seriously, though, and the games are of no interest to me so I've not taken any notice of whether or not they have.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sohummisra View Post
    To be honest, what does it matter whether a match has official ODI status or not? The only people it should matter to is statisticians and stat-whores, which basically causes a bit of a headache to them. Apart from that, I don't think ODI status has any meaning for the cricket fan, really.
    Given that stats are extremely important in cricket, games being given ODI status or not is extremely important.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Given that stats are extremely important in cricket, games being given ODI status or not is extremely important.
    Stats are only as important as we wish them to be. Especially if you're Indian, because statistics are the only thing that is keeping Sachin Tendulkar at the top of the current batsmen in the world.

I think if the cricket played is at high quality and between high quality players, it doesn't matter to me, the viewer, if the match is an ODI or not. And in the off-chance that a record does get broken in such a series, there will always be a footnote suggesting the circumstances of the record.

For example, everyone remembers the Australia-South Africa ODI game where the 400-run barrier was finally broken. Far fewer people remember the Sri Lanka-Netherlands game, where Lankans took the record (probably because there was NO TV coverage). But fans of the game will always think of South Africa's achievement as being better than Lanka's, and I think that is where we use our brains to determine the intersection between the statistics and the cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post

TBF the precedent has been set before & then subsequently recanted. The "test" series we played against the Rest of the World in 1970 to replace the cancelled SA series were originally deemed to be official tests and then expunged.

In fact it cost Alan Jones his test player status as his only appearance for England was in the first "test" of the series.

I'm not a fan of them having official status myself as I think they devalue the currency.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information