• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Were Vaughan's comments justified?

Was Vaughan right to blame Flintoff?

• Total voters

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
It's all gone a bit weird now. First Vaughan coming out and saying he never used the word 'Fredalo', and now the guardian with a clip on their website where he clearly says it twice.

Maybe next Vaughan will say that it was Rory Bremner or something. :blink:

Surely he'd be better off just not saying anything now.

pasag

RTDAS
It's all gone a bit weird now. First Vaughan coming out and saying he never used the word 'Fredalo', and now the guardian with a clip on their website where he clearly says it twice.

Maybe next Vaughan will say that it was Rory Bremner or something. :blink:

Surely he'd be better off just not saying anything now.
Yeah he obviously just forgot he said it. I doubt he lied or anything, still it doesn't look too good.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It wasn't fair, whether the incident itself was the reason for ruining England's World Cup or not. Never, ever leave a team mate out to dry like that.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The comments were true, but its not a captain's job to be 100% honest in interviews. They don't necessarily have to be robots, but no way in hell should a captain ever air dirty laundry out in public. All he had to say was "things didn't work out in the WC, there were incidents that unsettled the team, we lost games when we were in positions to win them, and some players didn't perform up to standard, myself included, but that's in the past now and our concern is this summer's cricket vs. WI and India."

That's it.
U shud be the English captain, Jono. :p

Seriously, I agree with what SS, Richard and Jono have been saying on this topic. It may have been a distraction and I am sure England could have done without it, but to blame a team mate (directly or not) through the media is just not on.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah he obviously just forgot he said it. I doubt he lied or anything, still it doesn't look too good.
Yeah, I agree, it find it unlikely that he's deliberately lied, he's not that stupid. But if he wasn't 100% sure he should have just said nothing. This way it's just fuelled the story to carry on for longer.

pasag

RTDAS
And lol at Selvey on Vaughan:

"The audio on the Guardian website has made him look a bit of a ****."

gio

U19 Cricketer
I think Micahel Vaughan has been very harshly treated by the media. For some reason, Vaughan has become public enemy no. 1 in the English cricket team, and this story has been used to push this idea that everything wrong with English cricket lies at the feet of Michael Vaughan.

Like it or not, Vaughan is still a vital member of the side, and this criticism is certainly not going to help matters for England.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
It's pretty unusual to continue to post and post so rarely, though.
What is your problem ? He explained his reasons and you still are not satisfiaed, what do you want him to say that he was in Jail or something where he didn't have access to Internet.

In any case it is still better than posting 34000+ posts of bull**** since day 1 and wanting to have the last word in every freaking conversation even if you have to repeat yourself 34000 times.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah, I've been a bit inactive in the last few years... Uni and all that
Completely off topic, and just out of pure curiosity at 4:09am at night (I need reasons to stop writing Dispute Resolution notes FFS!) is your name pronounced 'geeo' or 'jeeo'?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What is your problem ? He explained his reasons and you still are not satisfiaed, what do you want him to say that he was in Jail or something where he didn't have access to Internet.
Haha, WTF? :laugh: Some people will go to any lengths to make something out of nothing. Where in the blue blazes do you concoct the notion that I'm "not satisfied"? I quite clearly said nothing more than that it's unusual for someone's CW posting to take the pattern this chap (we presume it's a chap)'s has.

It's pretty clear to anyone with an ounce of ability to properly interpret posts that I had no "problem" in this exchange.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In any case it is still better than posting 34000+ posts of bull**** since day 1 and wanting to have the last word in every freaking conversation even if you have to repeat yourself 34000 times.
It might be a good idea, too, for you to note that every time someone says that or something of that nature, they lose more credibility than through saying just about anything else. It's about the most stupid and banal thing anyone can possibly say, and really is so unutterably ill-informed as to strain belief. No-one is asking you to read my posts - for certain fools there are such things as ignore-lists which can be used for me.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm getting sick of everyone picking on Richard TBH. I know it's very hypocritical as I like to wind him up, but I've read a couple of posts over the last few days (Fiery and Sanz) who have basically said that everything Richard posts is crap, posts too much, has to have the last word etc. While I disagree with a lot of stuff that Richard says, I do respect that he has an opinion on things and sticks to his guns (he does admit he is wrong on occasion). These forums would be so much better if everyone stopped complaining about how much Richard posts just because they either a) disagree with him or b) are too lazy to read his posts.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It should be noted that the intentions of Fiery and Sanz differ wildly. Fiery is just calling it like it is and is usually very civil with me (and, TBH, most people since The Great Fiery Reform Act) and is not the first to say such a thing.

Sanz, on the other hand, seems to post for no other reason than to try and pick holes in other posters and near enough every player to exist.

Should say that post means a lot to me, though, Ritchie.