• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vaughan: Fredalo ruined the world cup

pasag

RTDAS
What an idiot. To hang a teammate out to dry like that is unacceptable not to mention he's in total denial if he thinks Flintoff's incident had any effect on England's overall position in the WC. Perhaps he'd be better off looking at why he was there in the first place and how he got selected when he's clearly a rubbish one-day player. It's dire players like him that were the reason England didn't do well at the World Cup, full stop. I've lost quite abit of respect for him with this tbh. What a knob.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting man-management by Vaughan. I wasn't expecting a return to Boycott's days of a senior player loathing the captain, but we appear to be heading there.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yea, you should never hang out your team mate like that. Especially considering he's no Viv Richards in ODIs.....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Interesting man-management by Vaughan. I wasn't expecting a return to Boycott's days of a senior playing loathing the captain, but we appear to be heading there.
That's not how it works these days, really. Cricketers are together so much now that if parts of a team don't get on something has to give.

Naturally, with Flintoff out for the foreseeable future it's not an immediate problem, but as with his comments about being shut-out during The Ashes... I just don't see what he gains by saying this. Think it, fine, write about it in your book in 4 or 5 years' time, fine, but FFS don't go shouting off about it.

Maybe he's trying to out-Graeme Smith Graeme Smith? :huh: (Honesty)

All I can hope is that he's thinking by saying this now there's not going to be stuff bubbling under and that he and Flintoff can clear the air.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yea, you should never hang out your team mate like that. Especially considering he's no Viv Richards in ODIs.....
And that's the biggest thing. It really does just strike me as being yet more clutching at straws, trying to find ways around the fact that the players were simply not good enough. I had a good thrashing-out in the GMCG thread of all the nonsense that was said during The Ashes about why things went wrong. This just strikes me as something else.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
That's not how it works these days, really. Cricketers are together so much now that if parts of a team don't get on something has to give.

Naturally, with Flintoff out for the foreseeable future it's not an immediate problem, but as with his comments about being shut-out during The Ashes... I just don't see what he gains by saying this. Think it, fine, write about it in your book in 4 or 5 years' time, fine, but FFS don't go shouting off about it.

Maybe he's trying to out-Graeme Smith Graeme Smith? :huh: (Honesty)

All I can hope is that he's thinking by saying this now there's not going to be stuff bubbling under and that he and Flintoff can clear the air.
Pretty optimistic afaics. Still, England's net sessions should be rather lively once Fred's back in action.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh, it's optimistic, yeah, but it's the only thing I can think of that makes any sense. If that's not the reason he said what he said then it makes absolutely 0 sense to say it at all.

Shoggz

School Boy/Girl Captain
My first response to this was along the lines of those already posted, but after having read the whole article, it now strikes me as a single quote lifted out of context.

Vaughan blames the incident rather than the individual for lowering the team’s morale and is also quite frank about his own contribution (or lack of) to the World Cup campaign.

here is a link to the full article.

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/cricket/story/0,,2095358,00.html

pasag

RTDAS
Meh, there's a good chance they may not even play together again because of injuries etc and even if they do, they just don't seem the type to have big egos and be part of dressing room factions etc. I don't see that being a problem. But the one thing that really annoys me is that in Australia, and I remember this quite clearly, Flintoff always went the extra mile to always defend his men. He never said a bad word about anyone, he was always defending Harmison, Giles, Jones, whoever. And he did it with full sincerity and wholeheartedly. And now this is what he gets in return.

pasag

RTDAS
My first response to this was along the lines of those already posted, but after having read the whole article, it now strikes me as a single quote lifted out of context.

Vaughan blames the incident rather than the individual for lowering the team’s morale and is also quite frank about his own contribution (or lack of) to the World Cup campaign.

here is a link to the full article.

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/cricket/story/0,,2095358,00.html
Yeah I went straight to the source earlier. It doesn't look like anything was taken out of context. Sure there was other stuff spoken about, but that doesn't change anything he said. Even the reporter is suprised:

It is curious, then, that he should pinpoint Flintoff's embarrassing spin in a pedalo as the night when England's World Cup fell apart. Such open apportioning of blame will not lift Flintoff's fragile mood.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
But the one thing that really annoys me is that in Australia, and I remember this quite clearly, Flintoff always went the extra mile to always defend his men. He never said a bad word about anyone, he was always defending Harmison, Giles, Jones, whoever. And he did it with full sincerity and wholeheartedly. And now this is what he gets in return.
Exactly. One reason Flintoff may not be the best captain around, but it shows why he'd be one of the best team-men.