• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Indian Coach Selection Drama

quick4mindia

School Boy/Girl Captain
Now the news is out.....Whatmore is no more....Some Ford is in ....may be Arjun Ranatunga also come in as a fielding coach....The circus is in full swing and the jokers have done their jobs splendidly.....

R_D

International Debutant
Now the news is out.....Whatmore is no more....Some Ford is in ....may be Arjun Ranatunga also come in as a fielding coach....The circus is in full swing and the jokers have done their jobs splendidly.....
maybe Ranatunga can also teach them how to run between the wickets as well :p

Nishant

International 12th Man
:laugh:

thats bizarre (i think i spelt it right!)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Oh man, Ranatunga as a the fielding coach...it's 'do as I say not as I do' I suppose. You don't necessarily have to be a great player to be a great coach, but it is peculiar to say the least. Especially considering I do not believe he has proven himself as a fielding coach at any level...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Now I think Emburey as 2nd man would be even more odd than Ranatunga as a fielding-coach, and that's saying something.

And obviously once Sidhu's out of prison that can't last either.

shankar

International Debutant
maybe Ranatunga can also teach them how to run between the wickets as well :p
Actually he can teach them them a lot in that aspect. He was quite brilliant at it! This was of course in terms of judging the run and not in terms of speed :p

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Can't imagine why india would want emburey to have any sort of role with them...they obviously don't remember he was a flop as Northants coach. And Ranatunga to coach fielding? Why not go the whole hog and have Devon Malcolm as batting coach and Steve Harmison to teach the bowlers how to bowl at the stumps :laugh:

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Well, India will be heading right down my list of teams that I want to do well if they steal Ford from Kent. He may have brought in one or two too many South Africans, but he's done a darn good job so far - would love to see him stick around for longer.

legglancer12

School Boy/Girl Captain
Ranatunga wants Indian job, Bayliss aims a little lower
Alex Brown
June 6, 2007

TREVOR Bayliss will fly to Colombo next week to interview for Tom Moody's recently vacated post - but the impending arrival of the NSW coach was not the biggest development in Sri Lanka yesterday.

Instead, the emergence of former Sri Lankan captain Arjuna Ranatunga as a leading contender for India's head coaching position had the cricketing world abuzz, particularly with India set to tour Australia next summer.

The nomination of Ranatunga, who has made an artform out of antagonising Australian players for over a decade, reflects India's willingness to adopt an unorthodox and aggressive approach ahead of a 12-month period in which they will play Australia in eight Tests and about 20 one-day internationals.

With almost no coaching experience to speak of - most of his post-playing career has been spent in Sri Lankan politics, where he has held sporting and tourism portfolios - Ranatunga's allure to the Indians lies in his headstrong leadership style, which he employed to great effect as captain throughout Sri Lanka's triumphant 1996 World Cup campaign.

At this stage Ranatunga is ranked behind former South African coach Greg Ford in the race to succeed Greg Chappell as coach of India. But with a final round of interviews scheduled for this Saturday, the BCCI could yet call on Ranatunga to drag India out of their recent cricketing malaise and transform them into an aggressive force able to compete with Australia.

Ranatunga's sudden emergence on the scene has prompted Indian officials to announce that Dav Whatmore, the former Australian batsman and coach of Bangladesh, was out of the race to succeed Chappell.

Whatmore, however, remains in contention for the Pakistan coaching position.

"I'm just deciding what the next move is," said Whatmore, who has returned home to Melbourne after completing all his coaching duties with Bangladesh.

"When I know, you'll know."

News of Ranatunga's candidacy for the Indian position coincided with confirmation that Bayliss, who has two years remaining on his contract with the Blues, will compete against Australian assistant coach Jamie Siddons and Queensland mentor Terry Oliver for the head coach's job in Sri Lanka.

The Blues coach has already turned down an offer from the Australia Centre of Excellence and an approach from Bangladesh this off-season but will likely take the Sri Lankan job if it is offered to him.

He is due to be interviewed by Sri Lankan officials in Colombo on June 14.

"It's a job with an international team, and one of the better international teams, so you'd be nuts not to hear them out," Bayliss said. "And if something was offered, you'd be silly to knock it back.

"I spoke to Tom [Moody] about a week ago just to find out what I can expect in the interview. So now it's just a case of going over and seeing what they have to say."

Bayliss's current employer, Cricket NSW, has confirmed it will not stop him taking up the coaching position in Sri Lanka if he is successful.

Chief executive Dave Gilbert added that Sri Lanka's pursuit of Bayliss had prompted Blues officials to formulate contingency plans in the event their head coach departs.

"We won't be standing in the way of Trevor," Gilbert said. "If he wants to prove himself on the international stage, we will stand aside. We don't want to lose him, but we realise he is very ambitious, and in the long term he wants to coach Australia.

"Coaching another international side would be a big step towards that goal. Just look at the way it catapulted Tom Moody to the upper echelons of world cricket."

Meanwhile, Cricket Australia has contracted Chappell, Bruce Reid and John Wright as consultant coaches for next season.

Wright was CA's first choice to succeed Tim Nielsen as head coach of the Centre of Excellence, but the former New Zealand batsman was apparently reluctant to relocate his family across the Tasman.

chipmonk

U19 Debutant
Arjuna in the running for Indian coach

Former Sri Lanka cricket captain Arjuna Ranatunga has been named as one of the two front-runners for the job of coach of the Indian cricket team.

A report published in the Indian Express stated that Ranatunga would be called to pay a visit to Chennai next week along with Graham Ford, who are the two main candidates to fill the existing vacancy as Indian cricket coach.

"Ranatunga’s name was pushed by former captain Sunil Gavaskar during the meeting of the BCCI’s coach selection panel here this evening.

But the Board chose to keep the former Sri Lankan skipper’s name under wraps, simply because it has not yet had a chance to sound him out in detail," the media report said.

Ranatunga, who led Sri Lanka to World Cup glory in 1996, entered politics soon after, and according to the Indian media, is "willing" to make the Chennai trip.