Cricket Player Manager

View Poll Results: 1) Do you like the reverse sweep? 2) Have you ever played the reverse sweep

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1) Yes 2) Yes

34 44.16%
  • 1) Yes 2) No

17 22.08%
  • 1) No 2) Yes

9 11.69%
  • 1) No 2) No

8 10.39%
  • Full House!

9 11.69%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Reverse Sweep

The Reverse Sweep

We had cricket in PE today. I played the reverse sweep. Got a massive top edge and it went out of the astroturf field (don't ask). (It was judged a six but only because we were playing a tiny pitch. Would've been caught in real cricket.)

So what do you think of the reverse sweep?
    Last edited by Jamee999; 04-06-2007 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Brackets
    Or something.

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990 - 15/4/2006

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Can't stand it. Not even a little bit. Ugh...harsh on the eyes and don't like to watch the batsman play it at all. It tends to be premeditated, which is another thing I hate. I don't really see it as a good percentage shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Great shot for playing in Indoor Cricket. I've only played it once outdoors, but frankly when you're as bad a batsman as I, no one really expects anything from you. For the record, I wasn't out to the shot, but it bottom edged along the ground through to 1st slip. Not very successful.

Indoors though, I use this shot to great effect.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar
    Haha it's funny cuz just recently I've been playing the reverse sweep on numerous occasions in friendly games between friends. I've been playing it so much that my friends have even named the shot after me now.

Anyways, so I decided to use it in my club/school games. And it's been working. Not to brag or anything, but I have become really good at playing this shot. Anyways, yeah, to answer the question, I personally have grown a liking for this shot. It's not only very effective, it's also fun to play and watch .

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Can't stand it. Not even a little bit. Ugh...harsh on the eyes and don't like to watch the batsman play it at all. It tends to be premeditated, which is another thing I hate. I don't really see it as a good percentage shot.
    Same. Hate premeditated strokes and love nothing more than to see them result in dismissal.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

International Vice-Captain
    I don't really mind it if it works, but it is played I much prefer to see it hit, rather than the batter attempted to dab it very fine.

Never played it myself, never felt the need. Have caught a couple of people trying to play it though, you can just see them shaping up to play it, and take a stride or two across.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Just voted yes and yes, and now realise that my doing so was probably meh.

It's a helpful shot to upset a bowler, however, I've had a think about it and agree with something I think Ian Chappell said this summer, namely:

If a bowler runs in right arm over and just before the crease changes and bowls left arm, he'd be told he can't do it, as he has to tell the umpire what he's bowling. Why should a batsman be able to effectively go from being right handed at the crease to left handed (and vice versa) without telling the bowler he's doing so?

I think that's a reasonable point, tbh.

Still, it's great to play off a spinner if you can get the ball past point/ gully - it's usually four runs.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Don't really like it because it's so premeditated.

However I've played it a few times in the nets, but decided not to use it in a match. I spose for indoor cricket, or a muck around game it's all in a bit of fun, but i wouldn't use it in a real match

Great to watch when it's played well. Rarely ever try it in a match situation though.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Just voted yes and yes, and now realise that my doing so was probably meh.

It's a helpful shot to upset a bowler, however, I've had a think about it and agree with something I think Ian Chappell said this summer, namely:

If a bowler runs in right arm over and just before the crease changes and bowls left arm, he'd be told he can't do it, as he has to tell the umpire what he's bowling. Why should a batsman be able to effectively go from being right handed at the crease to left handed (and vice versa) without telling the bowler he's doing so?

I think that's a reasonable point, tbh.

Still, it's great to play off a spinner if you can get the ball past point/ gully - it's usually four runs.
    But generally, you don't change hands to play it. Therefore you're still playing it with a right handed grip (for example, if you are a right hander).

I've used it quite a bit, especially when spinners have been bowling in late overs with the breeze and a lot of players back, because it's the one area of the ground that is generally pretty unprotected once it gets past the infielders. Also, I generally don't have a lot of power in my shots, so I use deflections and the type fairly often.

Best thing in cricket - seeing someone get bowled while trying to play it.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Hit it on to my own stumps the only time I tried it. Embarrassing.

I sometimes enjoy seeing it played though. Especially that time Craig McMillan did it and it went for six.

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Used to play it, dont really anymore. Its overplayed at the moment for mine, everyone is having a go.
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    1) Yes 2) Yes
    Everyone wants to change the world, noone wants to change himself.

-Tolstoy

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    I dislike the reverse sweep and it is always enjoyable to see batsman being dismissed when attempting to play that particular shot. I can however see why they play it and I understand it is an effective way of throwing the bowler off his line and length as well as scoring runs in a generally unprotected area.

I've been known to play the shot a few times myself in backyard cricket.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information