• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Reverse Sweep

1) Do you like the reverse sweep? 2) Have you ever played the reverse sweep

• Total voters

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
We had cricket in PE today. I played the reverse sweep. Got a massive top edge and it went out of the astroturf field (don't ask). (It was judged a six but only because we were playing a tiny pitch. Would've been caught in real cricket.)

So what do you think of the reverse sweep?

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Can't stand it. Not even a little bit. Ugh...harsh on the eyes and don't like to watch the batsman play it at all. It tends to be premeditated, which is another thing I hate. I don't really see it as a good percentage shot.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Great shot for playing in Indoor Cricket. I've only played it once outdoors, but frankly when you're as bad a batsman as I, no one really expects anything from you. For the record, I wasn't out to the shot, but it bottom edged along the ground through to 1st slip. Not very successful.

Indoors though, I use this shot to great effect.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha it's funny cuz just recently I've been playing the reverse sweep on numerous occasions in friendly games between friends. I've been playing it so much that my friends have even named the shot after me now.

Anyways, so I decided to use it in my club/school games. And it's been working. Not to brag or anything, but I have become really good at playing this shot. Anyways, yeah, to answer the question, I personally have grown a liking for this shot. It's not only very effective, it's also fun to play and watch ;).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Can't stand it. Not even a little bit. Ugh...harsh on the eyes and don't like to watch the batsman play it at all. It tends to be premeditated, which is another thing I hate. I don't really see it as a good percentage shot.
Same. Hate premeditated strokes and love nothing more than to see them result in dismissal.

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
I don't really mind it if it works, but it is played I much prefer to see it hit, rather than the batter attempted to dab it very fine.

Never played it myself, never felt the need. Have caught a couple of people trying to play it though, you can just see them shaping up to play it, and take a stride or two across.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just voted yes and yes, and now realise that my doing so was probably meh.

It's a helpful shot to upset a bowler, however, I've had a think about it and agree with something I think Ian Chappell said this summer, namely:

If a bowler runs in right arm over and just before the crease changes and bowls left arm, he'd be told he can't do it, as he has to tell the umpire what he's bowling. Why should a batsman be able to effectively go from being right handed at the crease to left handed (and vice versa) without telling the bowler he's doing so?

I think that's a reasonable point, tbh.

Still, it's great to play off a spinner if you can get the ball past point/ gully - it's usually four runs.

deeps

International 12th Man
Don't really like it because it's so premeditated.

However I've played it a few times in the nets, but decided not to use it in a match. I spose for indoor cricket, or a muck around game it's all in a bit of fun, but i wouldn't use it in a real match

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Just voted yes and yes, and now realise that my doing so was probably meh.

It's a helpful shot to upset a bowler, however, I've had a think about it and agree with something I think Ian Chappell said this summer, namely:

If a bowler runs in right arm over and just before the crease changes and bowls left arm, he'd be told he can't do it, as he has to tell the umpire what he's bowling. Why should a batsman be able to effectively go from being right handed at the crease to left handed (and vice versa) without telling the bowler he's doing so?

I think that's a reasonable point, tbh.

Still, it's great to play off a spinner if you can get the ball past point/ gully - it's usually four runs.
But generally, you don't change hands to play it. Therefore you're still playing it with a right handed grip (for example, if you are a right hander).

I've used it quite a bit, especially when spinners have been bowling in late overs with the breeze and a lot of players back, because it's the one area of the ground that is generally pretty unprotected once it gets past the infielders. Also, I generally don't have a lot of power in my shots, so I use deflections and the type fairly often.

_Ed_

Hit it on to my own stumps the only time I tried it. Embarrassing.

I sometimes enjoy seeing it played though. Especially that time Craig McMillan did it and it went for six.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Used to play it, dont really anymore. Its overplayed at the moment for mine, everyone is having a go.

Perm

I dislike the reverse sweep and it is always enjoyable to see batsman being dismissed when attempting to play that particular shot. I can however see why they play it and I understand it is an effective way of throwing the bowler off his line and length as well as scoring runs in a generally unprotected area.

I've been known to play the shot a few times myself in backyard cricket.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
It is an extremely low percentage shot. For the vast majprity of batsmen in the world, who have attempted it at the top level the balance sheet would be very poor indeed. It would not put a great spinner off. He would be delighted that you were willing to risk it as it would very considerably enhance his chances of getting your wicket and thats what its all about.

There are very few who have done it successfully over time to justify using it at all. It must be used very very sparingly and the reasons for employing it must be clear. I have seen batsmen frustrated by a particular line of bowling use it out of pique and that is invariably fatal.

For comparison, Sachin Tendulkar uses it very sparingly and invariably with success. Dravid uses it much more and with comical/ungainly/disastrous results.

It must not be used because you are not able to do anything else to the ball but maybe because you want a fielder to be repositioned and then you have to be very sure you do not pay a heavier price than the objective deserves.

Simon

Great shot for playing in Indoor Cricket. I've only played it once outdoors, but frankly when you're as bad a batsman as I, no one really expects anything from you. For the record, I wasn't out to the shot, but it bottom edged along the ground through to 1st slip. Not very successful.

Indoors though, I use this shot to great effect.
why? its completely ineffective in indoor cricket if the fielding team has a "correct" field setting of a point, cover and off guard as opposed to only the leg side and leg guard. You'd be better off playing a proper shot

HeathDavisSpeed

why? its completely ineffective in indoor cricket if the fielding team has a "correct" field setting of a point, cover and off guard as opposed to only the leg side and leg guard. You'd be better off playing a proper shot
You forget how bad a bat I am and the reverse sweep automatically 'throws' the fielders. I have tried this, and swapping between left and right hand batting many times indoors. I have actually never been dismissed whilst batting left handed, but will never get more than 1, 2 or possibly a three batting left handed.