• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Reverse Sweep

1) Do you like the reverse sweep? 2) Have you ever played the reverse sweep

• Total voters

simmy

International Regular
The reverse sweep is only playable if you are 100 not out and feel invincible. Sadly... this doesnt happen enough. It is a heroic shot if you get it right.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Interesting to say the least only became said often enough because people manufactured it into something that was said often.
Indeed, yet at least that phrase would be more useful that "away with the angels" on a cricket forum. Unless of course you were referring to somebody that had passed away.

tooextracool

International Coach
Not sure why people dont like it 'because it is premeditated because many shots are premediated. Coming down the track and hitting over the top is premeditated, hell even the sweep shot is premeditated, for the majority.

Im not a big fan of reverse sweeps in tests because as has been mentioned already its not a percentage shot. Theres almost no way out of it if the bowler sees it coming or if the length is full. Which is why i thought KP's reverse of Murali, despite the acclaim it got was rather stupid. In ODIs however, if played in the right situation, it provides not just something for the bowler to think about but also the captain when placing a field. Commentators often suggest that England dont have players that can 'hit the ball in unusual areas' and thats why they are not very good in ODIs, but it is true.

Perm

I think they get annoyed when a player decides to use a risky reverse sweep instead of hitting down the ground, which is primarily why I dislike the shot. There are generally better shots that can be played without having to take as much risk.

readie

State Regular
i used to like reverse sweep until i played one in a cricket semi and lost my wicket. started a collapse which made us lose the game. still like watching it tho

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not sure why people dont like it 'because it is premeditated because many shots are premediated. Coming down the track and hitting over the top is premeditated, hell even the sweep shot is premeditated, for the majority.
I generally dislike all premeditated shots, but undoubtedly sometimes (in ODIs) they're neccessary. If there's a premeditated action I like more than some others, it's coming down the pitch.
Im not a big fan of reverse sweeps in tests because as has been mentioned already its not a percentage shot. Theres almost no way out of it if the bowler sees it coming or if the length is full. Which is why i thought KP's reverse of Murali, despite the acclaim it got was rather stupid.
And even he admitted as such.
In ODIs however, if played in the right situation, it provides not just something for the bowler to think about but also the captain when placing a field. Commentators often suggest that England dont have players that can 'hit the ball in unusual areas' and thats why they are not very good in ODIs, but it is true.
In ODIs premeditation, as I say, is sometimes neccessary, but mostly I was referring to Tests in hating to see it played.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I can't play the standard sweep shot unless I get a very generous full bunger at about 8 miles per hour, so a reverse in a competitive situation is out of the question.

Have a lot of time for the shot though - agree with Jack and Goughy - even taught it in Year 5 & 6 cricket club on Thursday night!

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
So you've never tried it? Not in the nets? Not in backyard cricket?

It's a horrible shot really, but I don't see why one would choose to never play a shot for fun in circumstances where there were no consequences..
I can't play the standard sweep shot unless I get a very generous full bunger at about 8 miles per hour, so a reverse in a competitive situation is out of the question.

Have a lot of time for the shot though - agree with Jack and Goughy - even taught it in Year 5 & 6 cricket club on Thursday night!
Yeah, thought about playing an ordinary sweep in the dark in a game of backyard last night and then thought better of it, the reverse sweep is a complete no-no. TBH, I'm just happy when the ball goes past me without touching my bat, legs or stumps.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
To add my weight to the debate - I hate both forms of the sweep. The normal sweep is extremely prone to top edges and the like, you're generally far better off just blocking it and waiting for a bad ball. And if you need quick runs, there are better shots than the sweep. As a leggie, nothing encourages me more than seeing a batsman sweeping.

As for the reverse sweep, it's generally a shot for a single (unless you're a real expert at the shot, like Andy Flower, and there are very few of those players around). There are far easier, more reliable methods of getting a single (or a boundary for that matter). Okay, so when you think about it, not many people have got out playing the reverse sweep, but there are plenty of plays and misses and the like, which doesn't help the aim of scoring runs.

Perm

To add my weight to the debate - I hate both forms of the sweep. The normal sweep is extremely prone to top edges and the like, you're generally far better off just blocking it and waiting for a bad ball. And if you need quick runs, there are better shots than the sweep. As a leggie, nothing encourages me more than seeing a batsman sweeping.
A good exponent of the sweep will use it very effectively (Hayden, Pietersen, Flower) and it is not often that they will create a chance via top edge because they know how to play the sweep properly and can judge what balls should be swept. Obviously someone like Dinesh Ramdin who had real trouble sweeping against Vettori during the NZ vs WI test series a little while ago makes the shot look bad because he can't execute it properly.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And if the ball's there to sweep, sweep it. The problem comes when people try to sweep everything (sometimes through premeditation).

Only sweep sweepable length balls, and you'll be fine.

Perm

And if the ball's there to sweep, sweep it. The problem comes when people try to sweep everything (sometimes through premeditation).

Only sweep sweepable length balls, and you'll be fine.
Exactly. I get particularly frustrated when the batsman feels that everything is sweepable, Lou Vincent and Ross Taylor are quite bad at this in the middle overs of ODI cricket wheras Dinesh Ramdin just struggled all the time against Vettori because he continually tried to sweep him.