• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indians are coming (and counterpoint)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Andrew Miller wrote this article, and Mukul Kesavan responded on his blog. I found both articles very interesting and since they weren't on cricinfo's main page, they might have been missed.

Thoughts?

viktor

State Vice-Captain
The issue is moot since Pawar has stated he is thinks that RSA should be given the opportunity to complete this term.

I liked Kesavan's rejoinder's though..

pasag

RTDAS
Haha, both abit OTT, but it's awesome how they can have such diverse and opposing pieces on the same site, as opposed to many other sites and publications.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, both abit OTT, but it's awesome how they can have such diverse and opposing pieces on the same site, as opposed to many other sites and publications.
Yeah.

Gotta say I very much agree with what Kesavan said about Miller's piece, but all the two pieces really highlight is that what is in prospect next is not inviting.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
The issue is moot since Pawar has stated he is thinks that RSA should be given the opportunity to complete this term.

I liked Kesavan's rejoinder's though..
Yeah, I liked Kesavan's article as well...interesting to see Miller's response in the 'comments' section....he doesn't come across well imo. Invoking the same old boogie man of PC (or in this case, "criticism of Indian cricket by foreign commentators has become one of the great taboos of the modern game") just makes it seem like he's more interested in insulting rather than addressing any arguments imo. I don't get the logic behind him saying the "outrageous echoes of imperialism, apartheid and all manner of issues that are inextricably weaved into cricket’s history" are something that needs to be addressed "if the ills engulfing world cricket are to be properly addressed" - they're completely unrelated statements and have no relevance to each other. It's not like there aren't any points he could've made to rebut Kesavan...it's just that Miller chose some pretty strange ones that make little sense to me.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I think Miller got a bit defensive, but I don't necessarily agree with Kesavan's points. While it is true that cricket found its nose for money under Dalmiya, I still don't want to see an Indian in charge.

Now, by that I do not mean any Indian, but the ones in charge of the BCCI. There are lots of altruistic Indians who would do things only in the interests of the game (guys like Wadekar, etc) but if anyone from India ascends to the Presidency, it will be a political figure from the BCCI. And unless the BCCI improves their performance significantly under their leadership, I just don't see any reason to think they'll do any good for the game.

By the way, where is the website, the full time CEO, full transparency (LOL) that you promised?

Also, what exactly is the purpose of eighteen working committees that you've established, and exactly how much are the members getting paid to work in these committees? If they can't sort their own house in order, they have no business running the game of cricket. The fact that they managed to rise in the corrupt and heavily regionalized system of Indian domestic cricket pretty much guarantees that they are career politicians who will sacrifice the interests of the game for political gain (There is no cricketing reason why Kolkata, the best venue in India stopped recieving matches. They stopped because Dalmiya is from that region, and the new regime wanted to punish the supporters.)

It is utterly disgusting and pathetic how they do business, and I have absolutely no faith in anyone who rises to the top of that system. That is not to say Morgan is better, for I have no knowledge of his capabilities. But unless he is the next incarnation of Joe Stalin and no one has told me about it, I fail to see how he can be worse.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Andrew Miller doesn't take criticism very well. If anyone was being predictable here, it was Mr. Miller himself, both in his original piece and in his response.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
(There is no cricketing reason why Kolkata, the best venue in India stopped recieving matches. They stopped because Dalmiya is from that region, and the new regime wanted to punish the supporters.)
Wasn't it sometime back that a lot of people on this forum thought that Kolkata shouldn't get any more international matches until fans from Kolkata learnt to behave ?

Btw - Kolkata did host a couple of ODI in 2006 (Vs.SA and SL) and since then we have played only a handful of ODIs in India.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
looks like both choices are equally pathetic...i thought andrew miller was a pretty good writer, comes across as jealous and whiny in this article and aggressively defensive in his reply to kesavan...

jeevan

International 12th Man
Actually it is the Indian public who may be the only party with the true ability to fix this mess - by not watching and by making this whole game much les valuable financially. (the news of a couple of sponsors losing money is actually good news).

Despite all appearances to the contrary, the Indian populace is not a monolithic bunch of morons (atleast not over 10-20 year span) and a professional politician like Pawar should be well placed to know that, first hand.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Further justifying why I am so sick of cricket politics.
Exactly. I'd far rather discuss the actual cricket and I'm sure the majority of people on these forums feel the same way.