• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What do you think would make a good cricket movie?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If there was to be a movie made about cricket, what players, moments or teams etc would you like to see?

Bradman could be used I spose, but for drama I vote Warne.

Also Bert Suttcliffe and Bob Blair's stand in SA after the bridge disaster I think it was where Bob Blair's wife died could be a good'un.

Your thoughts?
The Sutcliffe/ Blair thing was the first that sprung to mind, tbh.

Waugh at SCG scoring that ton off the last ball was good theatre. Marshall bowling with the broken arm in England is a good one too.

For comedy, any of Inzy's run outs topped off with his falling over the stumps - gold.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
An angry (But misunderstood) Off the rails teenager finds he has a real talent and liking for Cricket and Starts going to cricket training and soon finds himself in a top cricket club and straghtens himself out were he finds himself getting dropped a lot because of his anger he gets into fights with players which he doesnt start. up to the point he is permamently banned from his top club. He goes back to his old ways He steals to make some money, gambles, drinks has underage *** etc. His love for cricket fades but it doesnt die.

He refuses to play no more and goes through a storyline were he is deeply involved with crime. Nothing seems to change him during this time he goes through brief but moderate temptations to play cricket which become increasingly stronger until the point he trains for a much weaker team which he notices the lack of quality than his last team but the much more enthusiasim and friendlieness and helps them get promoted. It comes to the conclusion were he much choose between cricket and crime. It's his choice. And he chooses...
Sounds like the life of Runako Morton....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, yeah, was the first to come to my mind, too, TBH. I'm sure there've been others, though.

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
The Bodyline mini series was quite good. Only thing was it was about one disk too long. Too many scenes of Jardine being totally cruel and heartless and the Aussie guys being battered to death. There's only one team playing cricket in this series and guess what, it's not England!

The problem with doing movies about people who are famous and often still alive, is that there is no suspense as we know the storyline (often off by heart). The next problem is even if any of the ideas previously mentioned got off the ground, the ex cricketer might not like the actor or the scripts chosen to represent them. In the Bodyline mini series Gary Sweet played Bradman - good looking actor with loads of charisma IMO. Better looking (should I even think it) than our Don Bradman ever was. Nicer voice too.

My choice for movie script would be the World Series Cricket affair. Who to play Ian Chappell, Tony Greig or the late Kerry Packer? Whether you liked it or not, it really changed the face of cricket. Worth telling how a TV mogul managed to get enough of the best cricketers in World Cricket, to join in secrecy. First matches at the Sydney Showground - really rough but a great feeling of doing something new. Pink and yellow outfits, bodyhugger shirts and flaired pants, and night cricket - the script is there just waiting to be written.

Or what about the underarm bowling incident? Look on U tube if you haven't seen it - lots of clips of this.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I would watch a movie about KP any day of the week. The struggles of white spinner who couldn't figure out he could bat. The decision to move to England, then his growth as a cricketer. Then just his life outside cricket, mainly with the birds his been with. I would just fast forward to end and the girls TBH.

I reckon that will make a good movie

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah Lagaan is one my favorite movies, i would watch more Indian/Sri Lankan movies if they were about cricket.

Flem274*

123/5
Thought of another one. The underarm incident. It may result in Australians being attacked in the street by NZers though...

Last edited:

andmark

International Captain
An angry (But misunderstood) Off the rails teenager finds he has a real talent and liking for Cricket and Starts going to cricket training and soon finds himself in a top cricket club and straghtens himself out were he finds himself getting dropped a lot because of his anger he gets into fights with players which he doesnt start. up to the point he is permamently banned from his top club. He goes back to his old ways He steals to make some money, gambles, drinks has underage *** etc. His love for cricket fades but it doesnt die.

He refuses to play no more and goes through a storyline were he is deeply involved with crime. Nothing seems to change him during this time he goes through brief but moderate temptations to play cricket which become increasingly stronger until the point he trains for a much weaker team which he notices the lack of quality than his last team but the much more enthusiasim and friendlieness and helps them get promoted. It comes to the conclusion were he much choose between cricket and crime. It's his choice. And he chooses...
Who?

LA ICE-E

State Captain
BD vs Aus at Cardiff, best example of David vs Goaliath in cricket.
Kenya's, as Tim de Lisle mentioned in that year's Wisden, was far more film-worthy than India's, really.
Well for that kind of story it's really has to go to Ireland.

For BD vs Aus they could do a story around ricky ponting etc call out to strip BD their test status or something and then the climax would be the match.

kenya's would be how they made it to the semis with behind the scene drama how it all happened with the forfeiture and the sri lanka game etc.

for ireland it be how so many people were calling out on the associates and associates backing each other up and threatening on of them was going to take a big team down and then it happens. The drama from the zim game, pak game, anti climax- aus game and then again climax bang game and then their good efforts in other games and then ends in their worst game but shows hope and to be continued to 2011...

Well Ireland almost fairly tale run of the cwc is going to come out as a documentary as a Irish filmmaker asked for permission from the ICU to be able to film them and he would do it for free but after they qualified for the cwc he got to stay the extra month after getting money from one of the sponsors.

sohummisra

U19 Debutant
Iqbal. You have seen that, right?
Dammit, you beat me by 11 hours. There was another pretty ordinary movie that was somewhat centered around cricket affecting fans rather than fans affecting cricketers called Hat-Trick. It was... well... not worth wasting almost-free database space.

Nishant

International 12th Man
Dammit, you beat me by 11 hours. There was another pretty ordinary movie that was somewhat centered around cricket affecting fans rather than fans affecting cricketers called Hat-Trick. It was... well... not worth wasting almost-free database space.
one word......CRAP

adharcric

International Coach
Hmm yeah, I already knew it would be crap when it released. Never saw that.

sohummisra

U19 Debutant
i think cos iqbal was a bit more realistic..but lagaan was more exciting and so a better movie IMHO..but thats debatable...
It wasn't that realistic--an Indian (deaf as well) making it to the national cricket team on the basis of pure hard work? No way, you need connections! Well, I guess he did have connections with his coach.

More realistic than Lagaan any day of the week, though, although I liked Lagaan because there was plenty of cricket in it. ;)