• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Opening Batsmen for the All-Time Test XI

Choose TWO Opening Batsmen for the All-Time Test XI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

neville cardus

International Debutant
It could only ever have been Hobbs and Sutcliffe in my vote. Of course, it did help that they were the only two men there to have actually opened together in the course of their Test careers -- but I feel that, if there was one thing that really nailed it for me, it was London 1926.

adharcric

International Coach
Went for Hobbs and Hutton. I've previously always had Sunil in my all-time XI to partner Hobbs, but have been reading a bit of stuff about Hutton recently and am thinking that he might become a permanent fixture in my all-time team.

As you'd expect for selecting the alltime best team, this is the first of what you'd expect will be a serious of quite tough choices though.
Same here. This was the first time I went for Hutton in my side (and reconsidered shortly thereafter). :)

JBH001

International Regular
It could only ever have been Hobbs and Sutcliffe in my vote. Of course, it did help that they were the only two men there to have actually opened together in the course of their Test careers -- but I feel that, if there was one thing that really nailed it for me, it was London 1926.
You dont mean the famous 161 opening stand on a sticky dog, do you neville?

Anyway, this was a very tough call - but I am going with Hobbs and Hutton.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Wonder how Trumper and Hobbs would have been had they batted together.

JBH001

International Regular
I do indeed, Jack, my good man! You were quite superb that day.
Why thank you neville. I was actually out lbw that day early in the innings but the bowler (cant remember who it was) and Oldfield never appealed because they thought it had pitched outside off! Frank said later he would have given it if the Aussies had appealed...

Goodness me, Jack! That's most out of character, if you don't mind me saying so. You were always such a modest fellow!
I know, I know - but when you consider my 49 at Melbourne in 28/29 you may see where I am coming from, the others are fantastic, but *ahem* 199 FC 100s dont lie. :)

neville cardus

International Debutant
Why thank you neville. I was actually out lbw that day early in the innings but the bowler (cant remember who it was)
No, Jack, you never did care much for bowlers, did you? For you, they were always somewhat akin to bowties -- wholly unnecessary necessities by their collective nature.

and Oldfield never appealed because they thought it had pitched outside off! Frank said later he would have given it if the Aussies had appealed...
All greats such as yourself had that component of divine providence bestowing upon them its many fortunate blessings, though, didn't they?

I know, I know - but when you consider my 49 at Melbourne in 28/29 you may see where I am coming from, the others are fantastic, but *ahem* 199 FC 100s dont lie. :)
It might have been only 197, you know...

steve132

U19 Debutant
Hobbs and Hutton for me, although I regret that Barry Richards is not an option. He was at least as technically perfect as Hutton or Gavaskar as well as being a far more exciting strokeplayer.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hobbs and Hutton for me, although I regret that Barry Richards is not an option. He was at least as technically perfect as Hutton or Gavaskar as well as being a far more exciting strokeplayer.
He didn't play enough Test matches to qualify.