• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup Umpires Announced!

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
Saw this on www.baggygreen.com.au

Great to see Australia's best umpire, Simon Taufel is on the list....

What do you guys think?

Eyes

ICC confirms Umpires and Referees for ICC Cricket World Cup 2003
ICC Media Release - 11 December 2002
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The ICC today confirmed details of the 25 umpires and six match referees who have been appointed to officiate in the ICC Cricket World Cup in South Africa next February and March.

All eight members of the Elite Panel of umpires and the five Match Referees will be on duty throughout the tournament. They will be supported by 11 members taken from the ICC's International Panel of umpires, and one additional Match Referee:

ICC Elite Panel Umpires

Steve Bucknor, Daryl Harper, Rudi Koertzen, Dave Orchard, David Shepherd, Asoka de Silva, Russell Tiffin and Srinivas Venkataraghavan.

ICC Match Referees

Clive Lloyd, Ranjan Madugalle, Mike Procter, Wasim Raja and Gundappa Viswanath. The Panel has been supplemented for the duration of the tournament with the appointment of Denis Lindsay, from the Supplementary Panel of Referees.

ICC International Panel Umpires

Each of the International Panel umpires announced today has previous One Day International, and in some cases Test match, experience.

Their selection for World Cup duty follows detailed performance assessment of the Panel by the ICC's cricket operations managers.

Final appointments were approved by ICC Chief Executive Malcolm Speed, in consultation with Sunil Gavaskar, Chairman of the ICC Cricket Committee-Playing.

ICC International Panel Umpire appointments:

UMPIRE
COUNTRY
DOB
ODIs
TESTS

Darrell Hair
Australia

Simon Taufel
Australia

Arani Jayaprakash
India

Neil Mallender
England

Peter Willey
England

Brent Bowden
New Zealand

Aleem Dar
Pakistan

Nadeem Ghouri
Pakistan

Brian Jerling
South Africa

TH Wijewardena
Sri Lanka

Kevan Barbour
Zimbabwe

Full biographical details of all ICC international umpires and referees can be found on the ICC website at www.icc.cricket.org

"With more than 50 games to be played during the World Cup there will be a heavy workload for all match officials. The International Panel was created for occasions such as this, to supplement and support the eight full time members of the Elite Panel. These appointments represent a great opportunity for these umpires to demonstrate their abilities on the biggest stage of all," commented ICC General Manager-Cricket, David Richardson.

In all, the ICC has appointed 25 umpires to officiate in the tournament. These include the eight members of the ICC Elite Panel, 11 members of the International Panel and two umpires from the United Cricket Board of South Africa (UCBSA) First Class list, Ian Howell and Shahid Wadvalla.

The final four appointments are from the participating Associate Member nations: Michael Henry from Canada, Chris Pickett from Holland, Rockie D'Mello from Kenya and Jeff Luck of Namibia.

International Panel umpires will be appointed to on-field and third official duties, while the UCBSA and Associate umpires will act as fourth officials for the Group stage of World Cup matches.

[Edited on 12/12/2002 by Eyes_Only]

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
I hope all of them have a good time out there for crickets sake, because I really really dont want tech to replace these characters !

Steve Bucknor is my favourite from that list though. Simon is a good umpire. Haven't seen him flunk any as yet. That was my reason :P

Neil Mallender ? hey !!

Neil here ? or is he your favourite ?

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
As I'm sure you can see by my sig file Simon is my favourite although it seems to be a good list

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
WHY THE HELL DO THEY KEEP PERSISTING WITH DARRELL HAIR?????

Other than that, the list looks pretty good.

Andre

International Regular
Well, the thing with Darrel Hair is that hes made some real shockers over his career. Despite that, hes also made some of the best and fairest decisions ive ever seen and still remains a very good umpire.

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
I agree Andre..I think he and Simon are the best two we have...

Why do you guys think Harper got onto the Panel instead of Simon??

Top_Cat

Gee I don't know TC...

Maybe because he's the second best ump in this country behind Simon
Well we disagree on two counts:

1) That he's the second best ump.

2) That Taufel is the best.

Personally I think that all three of the Aussie umpires we've got representing us are average at best. I just find myself shaking my head continuously at some of the decisions all three have made in the past, especially when I look at guys of the calibre of Venkat, Bucknor or Koertzen. It just makes me question whether these three are indeed the best we have. If so, the state of umpiring at lower levels must be shocking.

Top_Cat

Yeah that's probably right. And even he has his shocking moments. He's been one of the umpires when I've played and I swear he has something against giving me any LBW's. :D

So I'd rate Harper 1st, Taufel a close second and Hair a VERY distant 3rd.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Originally posted by Gotchya
Neil Mallender ? hey !!

Neil here ? or is he your favourite ?
Eh? Mallender is very inexperienced, I'm surprised to see him at the WC. Looks like he's someone they're trying to fast-track.

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
I have seen Mallender umpire and he's not too bad...My question is how do umpires who have had little or no experenice in ODI get appointed to the World Cup which is of course, a ODI tournament??

[Edited on 13/12/2002 by Eyes_Only]

Bazza

International 12th Man
Each of the International Panel umpires announced today has previous One Day International, and in some cases Test match, experience.

Their selection for World Cup duty follows detailed performance assessment of the Panel by the ICC's cricket operations managers.

Final appointments were approved by ICC Chief Executive Malcolm Speed, in consultation with Sunil Gavaskar, Chairman of the ICC Cricket Committee-Playing.

"With more than 50 games to be played during the World Cup there will be a heavy workload for all match officials. The International Panel was created for occasions such as this, to supplement and support the eight full time members of the Elite Panel. These appointments represent a great opportunity for these umpires to demonstrate their abilities on the biggest stage of all," commented ICC General Manager-Cricket, David Richardson.

Try reading the bit above one more time...

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Originally posted by Eyes_Only
I have seen Mallender umpire and he's not too bad...My question is how do umpires who have had little or no experenice in ODI get appointed to the World Cup which is of course, a ODI tournament??

[Edited on 13/12/2002 by Eyes_Only]
Mallender is umpiring here in SA right now. Hasn't had any bad moments as yet.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
He's not that bad really. Shep's still the best though :D desipite his No Ball Problem :lol:

Andre

International Regular
Well, Taufel seemed to have a very good match today, made all the right calls if you ask me.

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
Originally posted by Bazzaroodoo

Try reading the bit above one more time...
I have several times but it doesn't answer the question of how someone with only test match expereince can be appointed to a tournament such as the World Cup which are ODI's