• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hypothetical Welsh team

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Without turning this into another debate over whether Ireland and Scotland should be separate teams again, or even entertaining the thought of Wales doing so in reality, I was just wondering which players in County Cricket would be eligible to play for Wales. Goughy mentioned it in another thread without going into detail, but how strong would this hypothetical (note this Richard!) Wales team be?

Obviously a lot of the Glamorgan players are Welsh, and I'm also aware of Geraint Jones. Who else out there iin County Cricket would be eligible?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Given how rubbish Glamorgan are currently, not very.

I don't think Geraint would qualify either, despite the Welsh parents. He did his residence in England.

There haven't actually been all that many Welshmen playing for England, despite them having a first-class county. Only really Cyril Walters looks like he might have been of the first water too: Pat Pocock & Robert Croft were both steady-ish finger-spinners; Tony Lewis is better remembered for his broadcasting; Geoff Thomas, Hugh Morris & Steve Watkin were all tried and discarded fairly quickly; Austin Matthews & Johnnie Clay were one test wonders; Jones pere & fils have had injury truncated careers; Turnball & Parkhouse have mediocre records from few games and Allan Watkins has an acceptable average (40 from 15 games) without giving statisticians convulsions.

Apologies to any I've missed.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Alun Evans?
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Very droll, Fiery.... Very droll. Mind you, he did score a century for Northerns to win them the final this year. First time he'd done anything of value in his career.

There's a few decent looking youngsters at Glamorgan this year - James Harris who took 12 wickets in a match a couple of weeks ago at the ripe old age of 16 and Huw Waters looks nippy.

I guess David Hemp doesn't qualify as he was born and plays for Bermuda now? Matthew Maynard played for Glams, but he seemed pretty English to me. Adrian Dale was a useful player. Alex Wharf played a few games for England, but I think he was from Yorkshire and moved to Glams when he couldn't get a game.

Fiery

Banned
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Very droll, Fiery.... Very droll. Mind you, he did score a century for Northerns to win them the final this year. First time he'd done anything of value in his career.

There's a few decent looking youngsters at Glamorgan this year - James Harris who took 12 wickets in a match a couple of weeks ago at the ripe old age of 16 and Huw Waters looks nippy.

I guess David Hemp doesn't qualify as he was born and plays for Bermuda now? Matthew Maynard played for Glams, but he seemed pretty English to me. Adrian Dale was a useful player. Alex Wharf played a few games for England, but I think he was from Yorkshire and moved to Glams when he couldn't get a game.
I don't know, that's why I added the question mark...but surely he's good enough to make a taffy team

HeathDavisSpeed

I don't know, that's why I added the question mark...but surely he's good enough to make a taffy team
Oh. Sorry. I'd hope he isn't good enough actually. Didn't a Wales XI beat England in an ODI in about 1999/2000? Who was in that team??

HeathDavisSpeed

Wow. They SPANKED England, although they did have Taffy Kallis playing for them... Gives a whole new meaning to a Kolpak player I guess ;)

HeathDavisSpeed

You can't seriously say that given the 'strength' of the English team put out. They would have been gutted to lose that one. On another question, why isn't there a little '5 nations' tournament in Europe - England A vs Wales, Scotland, Ireland and Holland. I'd watch it, if only to see Ryan ten Doeschate in action.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You can't seriously say that given the 'strength' of the English team put out.
It was just a warm-up, though, that's the point. The Welsh team wasn't a Welsh-qualified one, it was just a random team (with mostly Glamorgan players because Glamorgan weren't playing in that round of League games) under the auspicies of Wales.

England put out a near first-choice team because they were having a warm-up for the NWS.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, not regular at all. It was just a random name given to the warm-up. They'd have been embarrassed to lose, sure, but no more than they would have been to lose to the ACB Chairman's XI \ Prime Minister's XI in the 12-a-side charity tour-opener on the last 2 Ashes tours. But it wasn't like England playing Wales at rugby, not at all.

They played another similar game in 2005 - it was England vs Hampshire then. In fact, myself and our esteemed Vice-Administrator who shares my name attended. Would have been Pickup and Hingston too, if they hadn't ducked-out. :dry:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, completely forgot about those other 2. It wasn't a case of taking a rubber, though - there was no series involved!!!!!!!!!! They were just warm-up games!