Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hypothetical Welsh team

Hypothetical Welsh team

Without turning this into another debate over whether Ireland and Scotland should be separate teams again, or even entertaining the thought of Wales doing so in reality, I was just wondering which players in County Cricket would be eligible to play for Wales. Goughy mentioned it in another thread without going into detail, but how strong would this hypothetical (note this Richard!) Wales team be?

Obviously a lot of the Glamorgan players are Welsh, and I'm also aware of Geraint Jones. Who else out there iin County Cricket would be eligible?
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Simon Jones.
    Or something.

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990 - 15/4/2006

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Given how rubbish Glamorgan are currently, not very.

I don't think Geraint would qualify either, despite the Welsh parents. He did his residence in England.

There haven't actually been all that many Welshmen playing for England, despite them having a first-class county. Only really Cyril Walters looks like he might have been of the first water too: Pat Pocock & Robert Croft were both steady-ish finger-spinners; Tony Lewis is better remembered for his broadcasting; Geoff Thomas, Hugh Morris & Steve Watkin were all tried and discarded fairly quickly; Austin Matthews & Johnnie Clay were one test wonders; Jones pere & fils have had injury truncated careers; Turnball & Parkhouse have mediocre records from few games and Allan Watkins has an acceptable average (40 from 15 games) without giving statisticians convulsions.

Apologies to any I've missed.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Banned
    Alun Evans?

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
    Alun Evans?
    Not aware of his work, sorry.

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Alun Evans?

Very droll, Fiery.... Very droll. Mind you, he did score a century for Northerns to win them the final this year. First time he'd done anything of value in his career.

There's a few decent looking youngsters at Glamorgan this year - James Harris who took 12 wickets in a match a couple of weeks ago at the ripe old age of 16 and Huw Waters looks nippy.

I guess David Hemp doesn't qualify as he was born and plays for Bermuda now? Matthew Maynard played for Glams, but he seemed pretty English to me. Adrian Dale was a useful player. Alex Wharf played a few games for England, but I think he was from Yorkshire and moved to Glams when he couldn't get a game.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Could pick anyone who had ever had the potential to be Welsh-qualified IMO.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Jamee999 View Post
    Simon Jones.
    He plays for Glamorgan so I didn't feel the need to mention him.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post

Very droll, Fiery.... Very droll. Mind you, he did score a century for Northerns to win them the final this year. First time he'd done anything of value in his career.

There's a few decent looking youngsters at Glamorgan this year - James Harris who took 12 wickets in a match a couple of weeks ago at the ripe old age of 16 and Huw Waters looks nippy.

I guess David Hemp doesn't qualify as he was born and plays for Bermuda now? Matthew Maynard played for Glams, but he seemed pretty English to me. Adrian Dale was a useful player. Alex Wharf played a few games for England, but I think he was from Yorkshire and moved to Glams when he couldn't get a game.
    I don't know, that's why I added the question mark...but surely he's good enough to make a taffy team

I don't know, that's why I added the question mark...but surely he's good enough to make a taffy team
    Oh. Sorry. I'd hope he isn't good enough actually. Didn't a Wales XI beat England in an ODI in about 1999/2000? Who was in that team??

Oh. Sorry. I'd hope he isn't good enough actually. Didn't a Wales XI beat England in an ODI in about 1999/2000? Who was in that team??
    Wasn't an ODI, but might've been List A:

http://www.cricketarchive.com/Archiv.../74/74867.html

Wow. They SPANKED England, although they did have Taffy Kallis playing for them... Gives a whole new meaning to a Kolpak player I guess

That wasn't a serious game, it might as well have been Duke Of Norfolk's XI.

You can't seriously say that given the 'strength' of the English team put out. They would have been gutted to lose that one. On another question, why isn't there a little '5 nations' tournament in Europe - England A vs Wales, Scotland, Ireland and Holland. I'd watch it, if only to see Ryan ten Doeschate in action.

You can't seriously say that given the 'strength' of the English team put out.
    It was just a warm-up, though, that's the point. The Welsh team wasn't a Welsh-qualified one, it was just a random team (with mostly Glamorgan players because Glamorgan weren't playing in that round of League games) under the auspicies of Wales.

England put out a near first-choice team because they were having a warm-up for the NWS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information