• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest not to make a Wisden's top 5 list

sideshowtim

Banned
When blokes like Robert Key have won the award it kind of cheapeans it. Basically just means for an international cricketer that you had a decent tour in England. I think the Wisden Leading Cricketer of the Year is a more prestigous award. No one will end their career saying "Damn, wasn't one of the 5 cricketers of the year!"

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
When blokes like Robert Key have won the award it kind of cheapeans it. Basically just means for an international cricketer that you had a decent tour in England. I think the Wisden Leading Cricketer of the Year is a more prestigous award. No one will end their career saying "Damn, wasn't one of the 5 cricketers of the year!"
Its not a question of how prestigious the award is. Please understand how it is AWARDED in the first place.

It is awarded to the top five cricketers in the English cricket season every year.. And, of course, you are not allowed a second award.

So. All those who may have averaged a hypothetical 300 per innings are ruled out if the same was achieved not on English soil. So Gavaskar's 700 plus runs in his debut series in Windies dont count.

Also those who may scored brilliantly and ON ENGLISH SOIL would be ruled out if they had already won it before. Thats why Bradman did not win it for each of his England tours when he always averaged above 90.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
I've never placed much stock in the lists Wisden comes up with.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
exactly...it's a largely irrelevant list to anyone outside of england with fairly stupid rules of not nominating anyone more than once...

Fiery

Banned
exactly...it's a largely irrelevant list to anyone outside of england with fairly stupid rules of not nominating anyone more than once...
indeed... not being able to be in the top 5 more than once is a stupid rule

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Sangakkara, Shane Bond ,Makhaya Ntini are just some of the current cricketers off the top of my head who should be there, when you see someone like Ian Salisbury has been named there in the past.:)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
indeed... not being able to be in the top 5 more than once is a stupid rule
They're largely irrelevant to anyone outside England, yes, and I fully understand anyone who is not a resident of these isles not being too concerned with them.

But the only-being-picked-once thing is not stupid at all. That's the whole point of it - some players would be winning every other year if you could win them multiple times.

Fiery

Banned
They're largely irrelevant to anyone outside England, yes, and I fully understand anyone who is not a resident of these isles not being too concerned with them.

But the only-being-picked-once thing is not stupid at all. That's the whole point of it - some players would be winning every other year if you could win them multiple times.
nah, it's stupid. Wisden should have evolved from being an English-orientated publication about 100 years ago

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It has. Although it shouldn't have about 100 years ago - 70, maybe.

But there are some parts which remain, having been 120-year traditions. They actually did change them for a short time, then realised what a terrible idea that was, and reverted back while adding a new part to take the place of the debunked change.

Wisden's primary purpose, though, has been and always will be English cricket.

Fiery

Banned
It has. Although it shouldn't have about 100 years ago - 70, maybe.

But there are some parts which remain, having been 120-year traditions. They actually did change them for a short time, then realised what a terrible idea that was, and reverted back while adding a new part to take the place of the debunked change.

Wisden's primary purpose, though, has been and always will be English cricket.
Which is why I don't bother with it, and which is a shame given that it's so often referred to as "The Bible" (my ass)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It is The Bible, though. There is no superior cricket publication.

No publication is made with all readers around The World borne in mind.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
The Cricketer of the Year award is an achievement award to recognise a player has played well within that year.

The nature of the award only being handed out once to a player is as its a nod of recognition for performing to a high standard. Once its been given you have been recognised and then move onto the next worthy player.

Think of it like an MBE for the English cricket season. Once you have your MBE thats it. There may be other awards to win but you will never get another MBE no matter what you do or how much you excel.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
The Cricketer of the Year award is an achievement award to recognise a player has played well within that year.

The nature of the award only being handed out once to a player is as its a nod of recognition for performing to a high standard. Once its been given you have been recognised and then move onto the next worthy player.

Think of it like an MBE for the English cricket season. Once you have your MBE thats it. There may be other awards to win but you will never get another MBE no matter what you do or how much you excel.
thanks for the analogy...yet another irrelevant award in this day and age, member of the british "empire"...

cover drive man

International Captain
Five isn't enough in my opinion, there are so many good seasons for players across the world to judge for who are the five best in the world for the season in my opinion they should make it ten. So that they can judge more easier.

adharcric

International Coach
It is The Bible, though. There is no superior cricket publication.

No publication is made with all readers around The World borne in mind.
Haha, WTF. You must be mistaken - many "readers around the world" really don't give a **** about English cricket.