• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest not to make a Wisden's top 5 list

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
It is The Bible, though. There is no superior cricket publication.
It is not the Gita, Koran and Granth though. ;)

No publication is made with all readers around The World borne in mind.
How many publications have you read ? Even my sportstar weekly from the Hindu had more world coverage than wisden.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What a load of ****
No, it's not. There is no book (or magazine, or whatever) published all over the cricketing World which takes a view - equally - of all cricket around The World. Each country tends to have it's own publication.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, WTF. You must be mistaken - many "readers around the world" really don't give a **** about English cricket.
Eh? Where did I say they did? :huh:

I said there is no publication made Worldwide that concentrates equally on all cricket Worldwide.

Fiery

Banned
No, it's not. There is no book (or magazine, or whatever) published all over the cricketing World which takes a view - equally - of all cricket around The World. Each country tends to have it's own publication.
I repeat my previous comment

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Are you actually planning on saying why you keep saying so, then?

What are these publications I'm neglecting to mention?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yea, I'd have to agree that Wisden is the best and most important publication on cricket...as close to the Bible of cricket as you get.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I was referring to Richard's post not Wisden itself, although you could probably apply it to that as well
How many of them have you read?

Even if not everything would be of great interest to you being a Kiwi, you've never struck me as one who is completely don't-give-a-****-about-anything-except-New Zealand secular type. There is plenty of quality writing in there and some excellent comment about the game in general.

Fiery

Banned
Are you actually planning on saying why you keep saying so, then?

What are these publications I'm neglecting to mention?
No it isn't. It is the Bible of Cricket.
The "Bible of Cricket" tag is one that the organisation itself has always laughed off. It's even been referred to as the Bible Without Commandments but is probably best to be refered to as the Bible of English Cricket

Fiery

Banned
How many of them have you read?

Even if not everything would be of great interest to you being a Kiwi, you've never struck me as one who is completely don't-give-a-****-about-anything-except-New Zealand secular type. There is plenty of quality writing in there and some excellent comment about the game in general.
Of course I've read them. I have one on my bookshelf which I read from cover to cover. It's pretty silly to suggest they are not English-orientated. It's an English publication so of course it's going to be.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
When did I say it wasn't? I said it's not alone in being orientated towards the team of the place it's published from.

If it's not the Cricket Bible, what is? You know of some all-covering publication that's sent out all over The World to cricket followers of every country with stuff equally of interest to all, do you? 'Cos I don't.

Fiery

Banned
When did I say it wasn't? I said it's not alone in being orientated towards the team of the place it's published from.

If it's not the Cricket Bible, what is? You know of some all-covering publication that's sent out all over The World to cricket followers of every country with stuff equally of interest to all, do you? 'Cos I don't.
No

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
The "bible of cricket" is such a stupid term. It's a book that's relevant mostly to fans of English cricket. Even if it were to be some sort of "bible", it'd have to be relevant to fans of cricket around the world. The fact that there's no other publication that covers cricket worldwide doesn't mean you have to elevate up to Wisden to a level that it does not deserve.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Therefore, then, Wisden's rep as "The Bible Of Cricket" is justified. There's no cricket publication superior to it IMO, and as it's not unique in being geared towards the country in which it's published, and is longer-serving than any remaining publication, then the dub is fair noof.

IMO.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The "bible of cricket" is such a stupid term. It's a book that's relevant mostly to fans of English cricket. Even if it were to be some sort of "bible", it'd have to be relevant to fans of cricket around the world. The fact that there's no other publication that covers cricket worldwide doesn't mean you have to elevate up to Wisden to a level that it does not deserve.
"Bible Of English Cricket" probably would be a better term for those who take offence to such things so easily, yes, but there's plenty of interest in the book outside this country too, which suggests it's not completely devoid of sense.

Fiery

Banned
Therefore, then, Wisden's rep as "The Bible Of Cricket" is justified. There's no cricket publication superior to it IMO, and as it's not unique in being geared towards the country in which it's published, and is longer-serving than any remaining publication, then the dub is fair noof.

IMO.
It's not really worth arguing about Rich, besides, arguing with you is a fruitless and tedious exercise in the extreme

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
It's not really worth arguing about Rich, besides, arguing with you is a fruitless and tedious exercise in the extreme
As Swervy has found out in the Hussain/Hayden debate. Richard must have repeated himself about 20 times.