• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashraful named as new captain

crickmate

U19 12th Man
I agree. It was a pure class batting to watch. All the ball he hit went to where he intended for. And when he played those stroke, it never looked like he picked any wrong ball to hit. Even on the ball he got out, was a boundary ball.

There was no way that Bangladesh were going to be able to save that Test match. I thought it was a good innings as it showed a bit of fight, something that the other batsman could learn from. I'm not suggesting that Bangladesh go out there and look to score at 5 an over, but actually show some resistance.

Last edited:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I agree. It was never a slogging. It was a pure class batting. All the ball he hit went to where he intended for. And when he played those stroke, it never looked like he picked any wrong ball to hit. Even on the ball he got out, was a boundary ball.
Exactly, but I suppose he paid the price for hitting the ball in the air. Some of his innings have been absolutely breathtaking to watch and I really hope for the sake of Bangladesh cricket and the spectators who love him so dearly that he pulls his head in and starts batting with more maturity. His pull shot in particular is reminiscent of Tendulkar and while I don't think he will ever reach those heights, he has the ability to become one of the subcontinents finest.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
I think most sensible Bangladeshis would have given up on Ashraful now. I think it's a forgone conclusion that this is the way he is going to bat.:sleep:

Perm

I think most sensible Bangladeshis would have given up on Ashraful now. I think it's a forgone conclusion that this is the way he is going to bat.:sleep:
I still have hope for him, judging by the way he reputedly handled the captaincy when Bashar was off the field, then I can see him being a fine leader and hopefully that flows through into his batting.

Perm

The finest for "throwing your wicket away". Oh there's another guy called Aftab Ahmed...:sleep:
Quite clearly I meant one of the finest batsman that the subcontinent (especially Bangladesh) has ever produced.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Only time will tell whether the move was a good one. Personally I think Shahriah Nafees is the best candidate for a long stay in the top job. He's struggling to make the team off his bat at the moment though.

Perm

Only time will tell whether the move was a good one. Personally I think Shahriah Nafees is the best candidate for a long stay in the top job. He's struggling to make the team off his bat at the moment though.
Exactly, and it's pretty difficult to make somebody the captain who isn't even assured of his place in the XI.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Exactly, and it's pretty difficult to make somebody the captain who isn't even assured of his place in the XI.
I'm pretty sure the BCB learned that from Khaled Mahmud. They won't want to go down that road again.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
That someone has so much faith in Ashraful turning into a "decent" batsmen. And one of the subcontinents finest.

Perm

That someone has so much faith in Ashraful turning into a "decent" batsmen. And one of the subcontinents finest.
I don't beleive he will turn out to be one of the subcontinents finest but I do beleive he has the talent to do it, he's just lacking in a bit of nous upstairs. He will be a decent batsman though, mark my words.

pskov

International 12th Man
Since the last war the following bowlers have led for different countries.

Australia :
- Lindwal (1 test)

England :
- Willis (18)
- Emburey (2)

India :
- Bedi (22)
- Ghulam Ahmed (3)

New Zealand :
- Henry Cave (9)

Pakistan :
- Fazal (10)
- Wasim (25)
- Waqar (17)

South Africa :
- Pollock (26)

Windies :
- Walsh (22)

Zimbabwe :
- Streak (21)
If you are including Pollock then surely you must Botham and Flintoff also? Both of whom were in the side more for their bowling than batting at the time they were skipper.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Think (as regards Flintoff) that SJS was talking only about people who've been officially appointed as genuine skippers rather than being specifically stand-ins (though Emburey was appointed for all of 2 Tests).

Agree that Pollock doesn't fit in with the rest on that list, though, as even though he was bowler more than batsman none of the rest had too many pretensions with the willow. Wasim, Streak and to a lesser extent Emburey did have a bit, but nowhere near as much as Pollock.