• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dav Whatmore To Be The Next Team India Coach

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Dav Whatmore To Be The Next Team India Coach

BCCI secretary Niranjan Shah has confirmed that Australian Dav Whatmore will be named as the next Team India coach adding that the formal announcement for the same would be made on June 04.

Whatmore, who has coached Sri Lanka and Bangladesh, had expressed his keenness to coach Team India while he was still the coach of Bangladesh. The team that was responsible for India's terrible run at World Cup 2007.

The seven-member special committee with president Sharad Pawar in the chair will meet in Bangalore on June 4 to select Greg Chappell's full-time successor.

Shah is himself on the committee, as are former captains Srinivas Venkatraghavan, Sunil Gavaskar and Ravi Shastri. The remaining members are Board joint-secretary Mohinder Pandove and treasurer N. Srinivasan.

According to Shah, the next coach's appointment would be for one year with the contract having provision for a two-year extension.

http://www.cricketworldcuplatest.com/news/dav-whatmore-to-be-the-next-team-india-coach-112801.html

----------------------

Good Choice, Hope he does well. :)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Well if the senior players allow him to be the coach, I'm sure he will do very well. I hate the fact that the appointment is only for one year. It should be a minimum of 2-3 year term. It is hard for any sort of plan to come to fruition in such a short time.

sideshowtim

Banned
Well if the senior players allow him to be the coach, I'm sure he will do very well. I hate the fact that the appointment is only for one year. It should be a minimum of 2-3 year term. It is hard for any sort of plan to come to fruition in such a short time.
Definitely agree. For any team to become a champion one, all aspects of it must be comfortably working together. It takes a long time to establish this sort of comfortability, not just one year. If Indian cricket needs anything now it's stability. And that includes the coach too. We saw with Chappell just how much importance is placed upon the coach in Indian cricket.

Nishant

International 12th Man
so is it completely certain that he will be coach: or are they to confirm this still on the 4th?

If it is confirmed, a good decison IMO and hope evrything goes well!

and yh...i agree with SS and sideshowtim...1 yr contracts are just stupid!

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I hope Whatmore does a good job, some of these players need a good kick up the bum.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
I think he could bring India to the top but I agree 1 year contract is too short but I guess they want to see how it goes then make it longer although you have to give a coach time before making judgements on how he's doing and 1 year isn't that long of a time.

Craig

World Traveller
More, though, we saw that Chappell was a poor coach.
..and a poor man manager.
And players who play like a bunch of over-hyped and overpaid cricketers who couldn't hold a candle to some of the games best of the 80's and 90's.

IMO the buck also stops with the players since they are out there, a coach can only do so much, so if you have to sack a coach, sack the players as well since they are the ones who score the runs, take the wickets, catch or drop catches.

I'm not saying a coach should not be held accountable, but it is a two way street.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nice, but as pointed out, 1 year is just stupid. Wish the BCCI would grow a brain.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Well if the senior players allow him to be the coach, I'm sure he will do very well.
well, ganguly recommended chappell and we all saw how that went....i just hope in his eagerness to keep the job, he won't end up being a pushover for the primadonnas in the team....

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
And players who play like a bunch of over-hyped and overpaid cricketers who couldn't hold a candle to some of the games best of the 80's and 90's.

IMO the buck also stops with the players since they are out there, a coach can only do so much, so if you have to sack a coach, sack the players as well since they are the ones who score the runs, take the wickets, catch or drop catches.

I'm not saying a coach should not be held accountable, but it is a two way street.
Totally Agree.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Whatmore is a really shrewd and very astute coach, it was unfortunate SL could not take him again because of Politics and what had happened before.

With India Whatmore has the potential to achieve far greater success than he did with SL, IMO. He is a very clever Man Manager.(ie he has the ability to gel Teams and motivate players and get them doing exactly what he wants ie for the benefit of the Team by getting into their heads)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Oh, quite, but India is not the only team Chappell has coached, and he didn't do much of a job with anyone else, either.