Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: icc cals for suspension of zimbabwe in tests.

International Vice-Captain

icc cals for suspension of zimbabwe in tests.

ICC committee recommends no comeback yet

Zimbabwe's hopes of returning to Tests receives a blow

Cricinfo staff

May 31, 2007

No Test cricket for Zimbabwe until they 'demonstrate the ability' to perform at a good standard Getty Images

Zimbabwe's hopes of resuming playing Test cricket have been dealt a hammer blow by the ICC Cricket Committee which met in Dubai this week.

The newly-constituted committee, chaired by Sunil Gavaskar, has recommended that the ICC does not allow Zimbabwe to return to the Test arena "until such time as the team demonstrates its ability to perform at a standard that does not risk undermining the integrity of Test cricket". It continued: "In order to be able to judge when Zimbabwe's performance merits a return to Test cricket, the committee felt the team first needed to continue in its current practice of playing a number of representative four-day matches. The committee encouraged the scheduling of such matches against ICC Full Member A teams and Associates with, for example, the inclusion of Zimbabwe in the next ICC Intercontinental Cup."

Although the recommendations still have to be discussed by the ICC executive when it meets in London at the end of June, they will make it much harder for Peter Chingoka, the ZC chairman, to persuade other members that Zimbabwe are ready to resume playing Tests.

It has always been stressed that Zimbabwe's suspension was at their own behest, but there have been increasing concerns that the standard of their side is now so poor as to threaten the ethos of Tests.

Zimbabwe first voluntarily suspended themselves in 2004. They returned to Tests in January 2005 but of eight matches between then and their second withdrawal in January 2006 they lost all but one by massive margins, with the one drawn match being severely disrupted by rain. They have also won only one of their last 19 ODIs.

If the committee's recommendations are accepted then Zimbabwe could be added to the eights countries in the 2007-08 Intercontinental Cup which gets underway next month and runs until late 2008. That would enable them to play four-day matches against the leading Associates as well as other series against A teams.

There is unrest, especially among the Associates, that Zimbabwe continue to be heavily funded by the ICC - they are about to receive US$11.5 million from the World Cup - and yet they do little more - less in some instances - than Associates such as Ireland, Scotland and Kenya who receive a fraction of that money.

I gather the windies tour to zimbabwe will be off.

U19 Debutant
    This is the right thing to do. I suspect that Zimbabwe will never return to test status. Atleast not in our lifetime.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Thank you Robert Mugabe and co. for amongst other crimes, turning a competitive test team into a mess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Sounds about right. Until they sort out their internal issues I don't want to see them playing Test cricket.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

sad to see them go this far down but they are not playing test right now anyway and playing in the intercontinental cup will help both the associates and zimbabwe.

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    It's very sad to see them leave the test stage I feel bad for all of the Zimbabwian fans but I cant say that they didnt deserve it its been ready to happen for years now. Its a sad day for cricket.
    Everyone wants to change the world, noone wants to change himself.

-Tolstoy

Just to clarify here, the newly established Cricket Committee has recommended Zimbabwe not play Tests. This will be considered by the ICC in their meeting in London next month. Nothing has actually happened yet and it's up to the ICC whether to take the Committee's advice or not. The thread title is misleading.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

why? it didn't happen yet...lol the ICC CC are recomanding it but yeah it should be like that, but I don't think zimbabwe going to get demotated to associate status though. The ICC needs to handle their pay checks and stuff imo like they do with the associates.

So why didn't this happen earlier? And don't recommend, just do it.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    So why didn't this happen earlier? And don't recommend, just do it.
    Because the ICC don't have the guts to stand up to Robert Mugabe and Zimbabwe Cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    Because the ICC don't have the guts to stand up to Robert Mugabe and Zimbabwe Cricket.
    Why is Robert Mugabe so concernd.

Quote Originally Posted by cover drive man View Post
    Why is Robert Mugabe so concernd.
    Because he has basically ruined Zimbabwe as a country, including the cricket team.

Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    No, because ICC doesn't want to get involved in political issues. Why should they listen to the England, Australia New Zealand governments and not the Zimbabwean government?(that does not reflect my views) but the ICC is right to not get involved in political issues. Why recommend? because that's how things are done, they will get discussed and voted upon in the executive meeting, they can't "just do it". Also, the reason they are likely to be suspended now is because of their quality of cricket not because of the political situation nor should any team ever be suspended because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by LA ICE-E View Post
    No, because ICC doesn't want to get involved in political issues. Why should they listen to the England, Australia New Zealand governments and not the Zimbabwean government?(that does not reflect my views) but the ICC is right to not get involved in political issues. Why recommend? because that's how things are done, they will get discussed and voted upon in the executive meeting, they can't "just do it". Also, the reason they are likely to be suspended now is because of their quality of cricket not because of the political situation nor should any team ever be suspended because of that.
    The fact of the matter is that politics have spilt over into cricket and that is why a number of leading Zimbabwean players were forced out of the country or were "outlawed" from playing cricket for Zimbabwe. Say what you want about sports and politics not mixing but that's far too idealistic for me.

Wow I never would have guessed Robert Mugabe was behind ruining Zimbabwes cricket team. Horrible person mugabe his wife spends thousands on clothes while his people starve. But before I start a disscusion which should be in the off topic I'll stop talking about Mugabe.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information