• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chucking doesnt help Akhtar in speed

itduzz

Banned
http://www.baseball-almanac.com/articles/fastest-pitcher-in-baseball.shtml

http://www.slate.com/id/2116402

"The world record baseball pitch is just over 100 mph."
Those steroid-guzzling lardbags' fastballs average only in the 90s!

This makes a cricket bowlers task like Shoaib Akhtar even more astonishing who achieve these speeds without throwing.

And running and pitching doesnt help in speed thats y pitchers dont have a run up. Try running and chucking at full speed , I bet u will fall on your face.

So it is quite amazing that someone with a 20 metre running start should be able to propell an object faster than someone standing still.

Truly incredible.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Meh, it's a bit different from running in and chucking the ball.

deeps

International 12th Man
And running and pitching doesnt help in speed thats y pitchers dont have a run up. Try running and chucking at full speed , I bet u will fall on your face.
Then there's something wrong with you :p

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, that obviously why javelin thowers stand still when they throw :blink:

Baseball pitchers can move their back foot from a line that on the mound and javelin throwers cant cross the white line.

Obviously if you gave anyone thowing a run up and a follow through they would generate greater velocity that standing still or stopping dead.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
He's not like running up and throwing it like a pitcher does :wacko:

He's slightly bending his arm...

cover drive man

International Captain

So it is quite amazing that someone with a 20 metre running start should be able to propell an object faster than someone standing still.
Ruinning does help speed it gives you rythym.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well sometimes comparisons can be useful but this stuff just seems totally random to me.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Moreover it helps in accuracy.
I disagree, by throwing a ball as hard as I can I tend to lose accuracy. Whether that's my own lack of co-ordination or not remains to be seen.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I disagree, by throwing a ball as hard as I can I tend to lose accuracy. Whether that's my own lack of co-ordination or not remains to be seen.
Really. Then try bowling it and at furious pace and compare the two for accuracy.

Forget cricket. In every field of life or sport, where hitting a target by propelling another at it is required, throwing is the preferred way and not bowling except at cricket where it is outlawed.

Ask someone who has faced chuckers at the top level and they will tell you how deadly accurate they are.

Suresh Luthra, a Delhi fast bowler of the late sixties and seventies used to chuck occasionally and when he chucked he pitched with deadly accuracy.

Chuckers bowl the deadliest yorkers and its the accuracy more than the speed that does you in.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What was the point in un-banning him if he was just going to be banned again? :confused:

EDIT: ah, I see.

cover drive man

International Captain
What was the point in un-banning him if he was just going to be banned again? :confused:

EDIT: ah, I see.
I'm not sure what you mean with ah I see but they unbanned because they thought he had matured and stopped all his dire trouble causing posting.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TBH, I don't think it was ever likely that he'd grow-up, and the "ah, I see" was because I'd read his most recent few posts and seen why he was banned again.