• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I hope its just a coincidence

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
But generally, you don't "fix" matches.

The betting that goes on in for player x to bowl two wides in his 4th over. They pay off said player to do so, and collect the huge odds for that happening. That way you only have to pay off one player, rather than a whole side in determining how a whole fixture pans out.
Yep, and that sort of thing could well go on all the time without suspicion - so it's a real potential problem area. However it's just as likely to happen in a game where the result goes as expected as it is when a massive upset occurs. There's no reason to suspect the Pakistan-Ireland game of being corrupted by match fixing than any other game really.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Anyone who thinks the Ireland game was fixed should watch it, IMO. Regardless of any other factors, I'm almost certain it wasn't fixed based on that alone.
I also believe the loss to Ireland was genuine atleast thats how it looked on the telly but then there is a clout of suspicion especially when you add Woolmer's murder in to the picture.

pasag

RTDAS
I also believe the loss to Ireland was genuine atleast thats how it looked on the telly but then there is a clout of suspicion especially when you add Woolmer's murder in to the picture.
Looks more likely he wasn't murdered now tbh and most expert reports are pointing to that, although obviously news that in all probability he wasn't murdered doesn't seem to end up on the front page like the news that he was. Strange that.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The clout of suspicion is rubbish though, is my point.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think some fans would rather believe a match was fixed than just own up to the fact that their team played like crap. It wasn't fixed and until there is even a shred of evidence I wouldn't even entertain the notion.
Hit the nail on the head there mate. Teams can play like utter crap sometimes, it's a fact of life. Doesn't mean that the game was fixed in any way. I found it quite amusing when there were a number of match-fixing accusations after the result of the Pakistan-Ireland game in the World Cup.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Hit the nail on the head there mate. Teams can play like utter crap sometimes, it's a fact of life. Doesn't mean that the game was fixed in any way. I found it quite amusing when there were a number of match-fixing accusations after the result of the Pakistan-Ireland game in the World Cup.
I guess the reason the whole "fixing" thing comes up so much w.r.t Pakistan is that they are such a hit-or-miss side.

But I agree that fixing a whole game sounds rather difficult.

Perm

I guess the reason the whole "fixing" thing comes up so much w.r.t Pakistan is that they are such a hit-or-miss side.

And because there is so much speculation and dodginess going on in regards to Pakistani cricket.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Actually an English paper said Pakistan's first game in the last WC was fixed. I don't think it was but if you play devil's advocate in a funny way the WI match would be a more logical fix because at the time it was assumed they could lose that match and still get into Super Eights because they'd beat Ireland and Zimbabwe. That's why I think they COULD have thrown the Bangladesh match in '99 (I didn't say they had) because it was meaningless but no way the Final - who would throw a WC F - especially when they know the country would turn on them. And remember we had a '99 WC F repeat in the 2001 Natwest series so it just proved Australia were better. And I do agree most fixing would be on a player geting out for less than a certain score or bowling a certain number of wides in an over - especially in an ODI where you can slog one up in the air and avoid suspiscion because you could say you were trying to speed up the run rate.

Xuhaib

International Coach

S.Waugh clearly mentions in his book that he got the info that 4 Pakistani players colluded to delibratley lose a game in a tri nation series at Colombo in 94. Fixing the whole match I guess isn't difficult if the established seniors players are involved in high numbers.

PY

International Coach
But generally, you don't "fix" matches.

The betting that goes on in for player x to bowl two wides in his 4th over. They pay off said player to do so, and collect the huge odds for that happening. That way you only have to pay off one player, rather than a whole side in determining how a whole fixture pans out.
I knew there was a reason why Steve Harmison was bowling so many wides, someone must've made fortune. :dry:

Johnners

whats the point in continually bringing it up ffs....

Can't beleive people are suggesting the Ireland game was fixed, Pasag hit the nail on the head.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Who knows for sure which game was fixed?

All that one can say is that some teams and some players have a very dubious record in these matters which makes any 'strange' result a bit 'suspect' if that plaer and/or team is involved. Rest is pure conjecture.

As an Indian fan (and a huge supporter of sub-continental cricket) my concern is only that such things are known to be happening on our soild, that our players, ex players and other citizens have been known to be involved in such things and that bothers me.

Thats bad enough. After that which match was won fairly and which lost due to possible 'rigging' loses significance.

We, in the subcontinent, need to worry about the menace of match fixing and even more so, the huge space under the carpets that the authorities use for 'housekeeping', rather than the 'ego massage' of our-team-could-only-have-lost-it-if-it-was-fixed.

As if somehow a fixed match is lesser shame than a poor performance.