• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Does anybody dispute this about Bill O'Rielly?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Hahaha, no.

As Kamran Abbassi said a while ago, Qadir had plenty of disadvantages and might have been better with less of them. But I don't agree that he was in the very top echleon - just a "might have been".
I agree

Qadir was a very good bowler but he was not good enough to be bracketed amongst the very best. He wasnt the best orthodox (which excludes Kumble/Chandra's fastish type) leg spinner from the sub continent also.

That was clearly Subhash Gupte.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
The all-too-forgotten. :(

I even tend to think of Chandra before him.
Oh yes. If you asked me who was a better bowler between Qadir and Chandra, I would ask "are you serious in comparing the two?"

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm presuming you meant to put the better rather than the bowler in italics there?

Whenever people mention Gupte's name, I always thik "ah, yes, forgot him again!" but if people say "Indian wristspinner" the first name that shoots to my mind is Chandra, every time. I always think '70s before '60s.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I agree

Qadir was a very good bowler but he was not good enough to be bracketed amongst the very best. He wasnt the best orthodox (which excludes Kumble/Chandra's fastish type) leg spinner from the sub continent also.

That was clearly Subhash Gupte.
Was it Sir Garry Sobers that said Subhash Gupte was the best spinner he had ever seen? I can't recall exactly who it was, but Sobers springs to mind.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
'T'was indeed. And while I think he's going OTT with that, Gupte's record is universally accepted to do him no sort of justice. Some estimates put it that over a catch per game was dropped off his bowling. One can only imagine what his record would have been had he and Eknath Solkar played together.

archie mac

International Coach
Yeah The Don was as focused and single-minded a competitor as ever there was - as evidenced by his record. Lots of his team mates, famously Miller, found his attitude of win-at-all-costs and grind your already beaten opponents even further into the ground, fairly distasteful and unpleasant (but ironically, its an attitude that would have seemed pretty mild you'd think in comparison to how Australian teams under Border, Waugh and Ponting have played). Miller, remember, had spent many years in England, playing cricket, during the war, and was not able to consider them the "enemy" in the way Bradman and Hammond regarded each other. He also thought that cricket was in the final equation a game, and that having nearly died at least three times during the war, he, along with other ex-servicemen, found it ludicrous to be asked to treat Test cricket as warfare.

Regarding the Protestant-Catholic split and the O'Reilly-Fingleton faction versus Bradman, tbh, I've always thought it said more about Fingleton et al, than it did about Bradman.

I think lots of players who played with Don got on with him just fine, but they probably weren't as a rule, as proliferate in writing and publicizing their opinions as Fingleton and O'Reilly. I know Lindwall for one said that he found Bradman to be a very considerate leader and a really astute captain.
Fingleton never forgave Bradman for his non selection for the 1934 tour of England when Fingo thought himself at his peak.

If you have a chance read "batting from memory" autobio. a great read, and he does not miss Mr Bradman.

Also on Lindwall it was consider by most that Bradman was a much better captain post war as compared to prewar